HybridZ

RB20det in a 280zx

Guest exahertz

Guest exahertz

Don't wanna sound redundant, but the post about the RB swap doesn't touch on the RB20 swap very much. How hard is this swap and how much custom work is needed. It seems the engine should drop right in w/ z31 mounts. The RB20 doesnt need any custom fab if you have a full clip to drop into a 240sx (except for a downpipe) I would assume a 280zx is the same. Also, what does the wiring harness situation look like.

Basically asking, what to I need for the swap? Clip, downpipe, z31 mounts, and maybe a fuel pump than will it drop right in w/o hacking at the engine bay, or will I need a custom driveshaft or any other custom parts?

If all is well what am I looking at $2500 out the door? (assuming I can do it myself)

actually... you do need mounts to drop an rb into a 240sx. otherwise mckinney motorsports wouldn't sell them... you will definitely need a custom driveshaft as well. you'll also need an IC of some sort and an exhaust. just to get running (safely and legally, I guess the car will RUN w/o an exhaust and intercooler...) of course. I think 2500 is optimistic to tell you the truth, although I've never swapped an rb into one of these cars. Its probably not IMPOSSIBLE if you have hookups. My suggestion is to either save up a lil more, or do as much as you can with that 2500 and see where you are when the dust settles...

Guest exahertz

The RB20 will drop into a 240sx w/o the mounts, but I wouldn't so that project without the mounts because IMO it wouldn't be very clean. You are right about the intercooler though. I forgot skylines have the worst sidemount in the world which def wont fit in a Z but could be rigged up in a 240sx with those side vents. What I wasn't sure of is the driveshaft. I didnt think it was a must for the 240sx (RB20s but def a must for rb25 or rb26), but if its a must for a Z, than I think it'll put this swap a little out of reach for me as far as $$ and practicality (might as well go GTR if it costs as much to install it as the engine's worth). Thanks both for the input. BTW, I did happen to read your thread stony, but I wasn't sure if it applied to the rb20 as well.

I'm looking to go nissan and turbo, but I am also looking for a swap that I could manage on my own w/ help from a few friends. I noticed you mentioned the sr20 which I thought was interesting. I would be happy to hear input from anyone that has done this. Even a ca18 comes to mind. I know neither one of these engines is a big upgrade, but I like the fact that both are a few bolt ons away from 300hp, which is really all I'm looking for.

Will this work for the sr20 and ca18 swaps? http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/sale.php

510 FRONT CROSSMEMBER (exept this would be for an '83 280z)

What parts do I need for either of these swaps?

I was really looking to go vg30dett but I heard that was way out of the question. If not let me know. ($3000 is pretty much my upper limit)

DOHC would be nice, but how does the vg30et look (250hp stock is it) Not sure what that would cost but input here would be good. I've also heard of the vg30det (DOHC a big plus here... need input)

I'm also looking for any input that may be helpful. Sorry for the long post, but that's what brainstorming does to me.

BTW stony, what does the stock L28 weigh and how much of a weight savings would I get if I went sr20 or ca18 (I believe the sr is 500lbs engine & tranny)?

Thanks,

Matt

I have pretty much everything you might need. I have several motors, including an R32 RB20det (215hp), an R34 RB25det (287hp), and of course a couple RB26dett's. I also have brand new sets of Z31 200ZR mounts, and the all important 200ZR rear sump oil pan with pick up tube, also brand new from Nissan Japan. Pretty much all you will need is the modified driveshaft, if even that. For the RB20 with all the parts listed I'm asking $3200. Prices move up with the bigger motors of course. I'm in San Diego and am happy to ship. Let me know if you're interested.

Brian

what are your prices for a rb26 without harness or cut harness? Do you know what model the rb26s came out of r32, r33, r34? thanks just an inquiry.

BTW the stock oil pickup is useless because the zr rb20 pickup bolts on in the rear of the block the rb 26 bolts on in the front. the ZR pan has to modified along with a custom made oil pickup. I had the rb26 and rb20 pickup and cut up and welded to gether one that worked. there are a couple guys on this site that are making custom aluminum oil pans and pickups.

I did not say it was the stock pick up tube. It is the 200ZR pick up tube, and on the RB20 it should work just fine. He was asking about the RB20 and not the 26. Yes, on the 26 it will require mods, but the budget he gave would not cover an RB26. As for my RB26's, I have R32's and one R33. All are with computer and harness. The R32's are $3200, this is without an RB25 rear drive tranny. About $1000 more for the tranny. The R33 has a blitz computer, HKS cam pulleys, and is going for $5000. Again, without RB25 tranny.

Brian

Guest exahertz
I have pretty much everything you might need. I have several motors' date=' including an R32 RB20det (215hp), an R34 RB25det (287hp), and of course a couple RB26dett's. I also have brand new sets of Z31 200ZR mounts, and the all important 200ZR rear sump oil pan with pick up tube, also brand new from Nissan Japan. Pretty much all you will need is the modified driveshaft, if even that. For the RB20 with all the parts listed I'm asking $3200. Prices move up with the bigger motors of course. I'm in San Diego and am happy to ship. Let me know if you're interested.

Brian[/quote']

So your saying $3200 out the door and with all custom parts and the clip? i.e. A complete bolt in swap into a 280zx. Does this come with or without the drive shaft, or does anyone even know if the drive shaft is neccesary for the rb20. I'm damn near positive it isnt for a 240sx but I know a new driveshaft is needed for the rb25 or rb26.

BTW does an 83 280zx come with an LSD or not. If not what would this set me back?

Also, what's that about the hood is there gonna be any clearance problems as implied in another post?

with the zr mounts you will have clearance issues if you run the rb20 or 25 unless you run an aftermarket intake manifold similar to what is stock on the rb26

Keep in mind you are talking about a 280zx. i believe the wheelbase is different and im not sure the same setup will work in a zx that wroks in a 240-280z. so be ready and willing to do some custom fab work.

For $3200 you get all the parts I listed. The motor is in a clip and running. I'm not sure if you would want to ship the entire clip though as it would be more expensive than just the drivetrain. I can pull the drivetrain and harness out for easier shipping, but I'm willing to send it however you want. I do not have a driveshaft. The Skyline drive shaft would be useless in a Z anyway. The RB20 tranny uses the same yoke as the S30-S130 Z car. As a matter of fact, the RB20 tranny looks almost identical to the Z car one. At the worst you would just need to have yours shortened and balanced and it will slip right in. When I had my driveshaft done it set me back $140, and that was with all new U-joints as well. Your '83 ZX did not come with a factory LSD. The earliest factory supplied units are in the late '87 300zx turbo, from April of '87 and later to be exact. As for the clearance, with a ZX you have a fair amount more room to play with. Since it is a bigger car, you probably have more room up and down too. I can't say positively, but the plenum issue may not apply to your car. Regardless, there are ways to solve that. Let me know.

Brian

Guest exahertz

So basically the only way to do the swap is drop it in with those mounts and wait for clearance issues. What are we looking at here, new intake manifold, driveshaft, LSD would be a must although not related to clearance. I'm almost positive I would need a new custom exhaust, but If I already got an aftermarket catback would this be an issue?

$3200 is looking closer to 4,000-5,000 yikes! If all the customization for an RB25 is the same needed for the RB20 maybe I just need to save up. What would an RB25 run me?

What was the final price on your rb26 setup stony? Also looking for other turbo swaps that may yield a stock output of around 200hp at first. What would be the cheaper and best swap to do this? (budget of 2000-3000 bucks) Whats the L28et swap run?

L28et swap is pretty cheap, and its quick. I love mine, thats for sure.

I did the swap initiall for under 1000, but I easily have that much in bolt ons. Once IM satistified my rear suspension and brakes can utilize 400hp, Im going RB25det with the t04e that would be coming off my L28, I would go 26 but I want everything in one shot.

if it was a choice between rb20det and sr20det I would go with the SR, its a newer engine, the rb20det that comes here has been in a junkyard for 10years or so in japan, maybe not, but thats a chance you take.

Sure, it costs a little to run a jspec motor, but it costs to be the boss.

I get clips pretty dang cheap, but shipping is going to kill, but the engines are tested and pretty much turnkey if the harness is all there.

Guest exahertz

Ya, I really don't want to put alot of money into an old car. My original plans were to go 240sx and build me a nice little kouki 180sx w/ an sr20det blacktop, but I am about to get ahold of a free Z that needs some clutch work an alot of TLC on the outside. This is why I wouldnt wanna put much more than 2 grand into a swap. Please go on about the L28et swap though. What is needed for that? I would assume a front clip would suffice for a complete drop in. What do these run for and how easy is it to find one doesnt have more than 50-60,000 miles on it.

Swap is easy enough mechanically since it drops right in.

Best move in my opinion is to find a running zxt with body damage, salvage title whatever, just has to be a cheap one, since you are going to gut it anyway.

I wonder zt swappers, how many 2+2s have you killed?

My count last year was 4

I lost count of my swap initially i bought the motor tranny driveshaft, r-200 LSD diff, trust intercooler for 3500.00 US while i lived in japan.

You will not even get a rb20 swap on the road for less then 2000.00. I would go with a l28 turbo swap or leave the car till you can afford a real swap :D

figure what you think will cost to do a swap then double it and thats what it will cost

Guest exahertz

Ya, I think thats what I will be doing. I will probably save up for a 240sx + swap and drive this car till its mighty death assuming I still get ahold of it.

Although if the price was right on an L28ET swap I might do it. I'd like to see a full tutorial on the swap online if anyone knew of one. Also, the price of it.

Thanks all,

Matt

Guest visionari

i was looking into a rb20, cuz it sticks with the original look, or closely to, the look of the l28 more than the 25 or 26, and it is also a lil more stout and cheap. How much money would you charge for a running rb20 with all electrical needs and the 5 speed tranny?

Guest visionari

i was looking into a rb20, cuz it sticks with the original look, or closely to, the look of the l28 more than the 25 or 26, and it is also a lil more stout and cheap. How much money would you charge for a running rb20 with all electrical needs and the 5 speed tranny?