HybridZ

gas guage questions

Guest mikegesselle

Guest mikegesselle

im sorry for free posting but my search didnt come up with what i needed......... has anyone here put an after market gas guage in there z if so what ohms or resistors do i need.....excuse my ignorence but im not sure what i need to order to get an after market gas guage to work....

any help would be aprecciated....................................................................................

thanks

mike gessselle :?

• 1 month later...

Cab anyone explain this? To check the function of my Autometer gas gauge (for a Ford)I hooked up a new sending unit to the sensor and ground leads near the fuel tank using some long test leads. Sitting in the car and moving the float on the sensor up and down simulating a full or empty tank the Autometer gauge worked perfectly showing a full sweep from empty to full. But once I installed the sensor in the fuel tank the gauge just sat on empty with a full tank. I was able to get the fuel gauge needle to sweep through 1/4 to 3/4 marks on the gauge by using 27 ohm resister connected between the sensing wire at the gas tank and ground.

Why would the gauge work with the fuel level sensor out of the car, but not after it was installed in the tank?

Has anyone solved this? What values of R1 and R2 seem to work?

Thanks

Dog

Cab anyone explain this? To check the function of my Autometer gas gauge (for a Ford)I hooked up a new sending unit to the sensor and ground leads near the fuel tank using some long test leads. Sitting in the car and moving the float on the sensor up and down simulating a full or empty tank the Autometer gauge worked perfectly showing a full sweep from empty to full. But once I installed the sensor in the fuel tank the gauge just sat on empty with a full tank. I was able to get the fuel gauge needle to sweep through 1/4 to 3/4 marks on the gauge by using 27 ohm resister connected between the sensing wire at the gas tank and ground.

Why would the gauge work with the fuel level sensor out of the car' date=' but not after it was installed in the tank?

Has anyone solved this? What values of R1 and R2 seem to work?

Thanks

Dog[/quote']

Miles, I had the same problem and finelly gave up. I ended up modifing a mid 80's Ford van sending unit to fit in the Datsun tank, I'm still fine tuning it but it reads much better.

Mike,

Why do you need an aftermarket fuel level sender? Are you installing different gauges? If so, you should check with the gauge manufacturer about the required specifications. If not, you can still get an OEM sender from MSA or your local Nissan dealer. I've got a spare functional one in a box in my garage if push comes to shove. It's used but it was working when I replaced it with a new one thinking it was my problem when it was my guage.

I'm using Autometer gauges.

I'm using the "Ford" style AutoMeter fuel level guage. I don't thing anyone makes an aftermarket sender that would work with the Z fuel tank. Even Autometer's universal sender will not fit without modifying the tank. The Ford guage is pretty close as far as accuracy. If you're good with electronics I'm sure you could figure out a way to make it exact! 8)

Mike' date='

Why do you need an aftermarket fuel level sender? Are you installing different gauges? If so, you should check with the gauge manufacturer about the required specifications. If not, you can still get an OEM sender from MSA or your local Nissan dealer. I've got a spare functional one in a box in my garage if push comes to shove. It's used but it was working when I replaced it with a new one thinking it was my problem when it was my guage..[/quote']

I'm using Autometer gauges.

I'm using Auto Meter guages and used their sender. I modified it and used the Z's flange and shortened the unit, bent the rod to fit and adjusted it to be just above the bottom of the tank and it sweeps to the top. I have pics if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I never thought about the tank needing to me grounded, my fuel gauge sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, usually doesn't work till below half tank, brand new sender. Figured it was the gauge but i have reason to believe otherwise now, if i actually made a direct ground to the sender or tank would this help?

-Ed

• 3 months later...

I, too, want to install an AutoMeter fuel gauge in my 240, but am unsure which unit to buy. Pete and others say the Ford gauge is closest at 73 ohms empty to 8-12 ohms full. But on AutoMeter's web page the Ford/Chrysler gauge, ATM-3315 shows only a range of 7.3/4 to 12 ohms. Maybe they're listing only the "full" reading.

Can anyone help?

--John G

I' date=' too, want to install an AutoMeter fuel gauge in my 240, but am unsure which unit to buy. Pete and others say the Ford gauge is closest at 73 ohms empty to 8-12 ohms full. But on AutoMeter's web page the Ford/Chrysler gauge, ATM-3315 shows only a range of 7.3/4 to 12 ohms. Maybe they're listing only the "full" reading.

Can anyone help?

--John G[/quote']

Check the fuel level chart:

http://hp.autometer.com/instructions/004315_instruction.pdf