HybridZ

Radiator and Header Wrap for 240Z sbc V8

Per JTR I installed the 84 Camaro Radiator (see page 12-6 in the JTR book 7th ed.) with a Black magic model 150 electric fan and 160 deg. thermostat in my 72 240Z. The Camaro radiator is not keeping up with the hot Sacramento days. Water temp is around 250 and fills the overflow tank on a regular basis. I am looking to replace the Camaro radiator. Anyone have a a part number and source for a radiator that fits and keeps the temp down.

My shorty headers are cooking every thing under the hood. What are the pros and cons of applying header wrap?

Thanks

Miles

I believe the Griffin 19x22 aluminum rad, $189 from Summit, coupled with the 2 speed Taurus fan is the sure thing. As far as header wrap, It is extremely hard on the metal of the header itself. Not sure of the exact science, but failures are known to occur and it is not recommended for street vehicles. Ceramic coated headers makes a big difference in underhood heat.

Guest Carlissimo

There are two 19 x 24 inch Griffin aluminum radiators that will work for Chevy engines. P/N 125202 (1" tubes) Pro Series seems to work for most people. P/N 155202 (1.25" tubes) HP Series is a bit more money but will cool anything up to 600 HP. I think I am going to go with the HP Series myself because I live in Arizona and plan to add air conditioning one of these days.

Miles,

Try adding a bottle of Redline water wetter. It's only $6 and it might be enough to keep the car from boiling over. I've got the exact same cooling system as yours in my '72 240z with a ~450HP 383ci SBC and it has never boiled over.

I wrapped my Hooker block hugger headers after I noticed my wiring harness on the right side frame rail was melting from the heat. I've put well over 20,000 miles on the car in the last 19 months and the headers are holding up, so far.

cheers.gif

Don

I would just change the electric fan to a Taurus one. I keep hearing problems with the Black Magic fan. I've got the Camero rad with the Taurus fan, and have AC. It gets very hot here in Hotlanta, and I have no overheating problems!

Header wrap creates condensation, which rusts headers from the outside-in

I agree with Mike kZ. I have a ~370 hp 327, with A/C, the Camaro Rad, and a Mustang GT Fan. With the A/C on in 100 degree heat and 95% humidity, I had no overheating problems. The Griffin would be a great way to go, but if you're strapped for cash, a JY Taurus fan may be cheaper and easier. Anyway, you'll probably end up needing a better fan with the Griffin as well.

Another idea- instead of using header wrap- try wrapping your wiring and brake lines with a reflective heat jacket. You can find these in jeg's and summit catalogs. That way you don't risk damaging your headers. But I think coating the headers might be the best solution, however the most $.

Guest Carlissimo

To combat the heat near the headers, I fabricated a small aluminum plate from .032 sheet stock and fastened it vertically to the frame rails (one on each side). This creates a barrier that keeps the radiant heat from the headers from cooking the wiring, the fuel, and the brake fluid.

I agree with the others, wrapping the headers is just inviting a rust problem, especially near the collector.