HybridZ

RHD dash, etc in the USA...

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys.

I know Nissan still sells Datsun Z dashs but i was wondering if i could buy a RHD one here in the states from say courtsy nissan or some other major Nissan dealership type deal.

I would also need the steering rack from the RHD fairlady.

are these parts getable here or no?

thanks

mike

Mike,

from what ive heard, the steering rack is the same on both LHD and RHD versions, you just have to flip it over :D (but if you think about that, wouldnt that reverse the runing of the rack as well? that would certainly be an anti-theft device..turn left on the wheel...car goes right! lol)

as far as the dash I have no idea, post RHD dash wanted adds on all the Z boards, I seem to remeber that there are a couple RHD 240Zs in houston salvage yards, might even be one in San Antonio.

it will be cracked, but you can order a dash cover from several places online....(yes RHD covers)

consider this though, I would find a RHD first gen in a junk yard, chances are it will be rusted to hell, but you only want the firewall and some of the interior, to the best of my info (from when i was researching a RHD conversion) the peddle hanger is a good bit different, the wiring harness is a great deal differnt (things in the harness are now further away, other things closer, battery is on the other side etc etc) the combo switches are not interchangable.

its a big job, but certainly made easir by nissan with all the extra holes and mounts that are in all first gen chassis.

unforunatly, the dash frame is not the same, its looks as though you can swap the glovebox section with the steering column mount section because it does seem to be screwed in place, but when you take a closer look at the dash when its out of the car, you come to realize that its all spot welded together.

hey guys, thanks for the info and the help.

ive been talking to a few people about this so ill see how this goes.

im def gonna do it though, just will take time.

Also Sparky, if you find any info on those junkyards with the RHD Z's please PM with any info.

of its a cracked dash i can have it redone and as other parts.

thanks

mike

I have a complete RHD conversion from a '72 Fairlady Z. I have the dash, steering rack, pedal box, gas pedal (clutch and brake pedals are the same as LHD), windshield wiper assembly, windshield cowling, and a cutout of the stock firewall. I found a RHD Z in the junk yard about 6-7 years ago and pulled it all out. The dash has a couple of cracks, but is in perfectlt usable condition. There are no gauges, but your stock ones will go right in. If you're interested, I'll take $400 for everything. I will probably never get around to using it. My e-mail is b.dooley1@cox.net , and I'm in San Diego.

Brian

I respond to all e-mails I get. I have already responded to at least two inquires. I can't tell if either were you, if not, then I never got your e-mail. If you are interested still, I am looking to get rid of it. So far, people have said they want it, but no one has actually paid for it yet. Don't jump to conclusions because of one possibly missed e-mail. Let me know.

Brian

The clutch and brake pedals are NOT the same as the LHD units, as the bend in the long part of the pedal still points so the pedals are centered in the footwell.

LHD pedals on the right side of the car do not put the pedals in the proper positon.

Actually, they are the same. The pedal box is what is different. I pulled the entire car apart, compared items to a LHD car and took what I needed. As for your "positioning" of the pedals, the gas pedal is the only one that is different as it runs back across the pedal box. If you have not disassembled one yourself, you really would not know.