HybridZ

harder to find exhaust components

dualXcompare.jpg

my corvette has an exhaust that currently looks similar to this but with smoother bends on the (X)s that uses no mufflers and exits pointing at the contact point between the rear tires and the pavement,and I have those vortec cones NOT in the collectors but in a slip on short extension on the exhaust exits, it helps the noise but does not seem to have any restriction or loss of power when they are installed

Thanks, that helps alot. I've been drawing up an idea for the L6 guys to stick a Dr Gas boom tube out the side of the car just before the back tires in an attempt to get rid of that terrible exhaust smell that some of us deal with. My only real concern aside from a passenger hot seat has been keeping it quiet enough to make it worthwhile.

Something like this:

http://drgas.com/item.asp?id=148

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D630630&view=2047&media=2

Any thoughts? Or am I trying to reinvent the wheel?

Howdy Grumpy,

Whats with the dual x-pipes? I dont see what it acomplishes? Does it sound better than a single x-pipe? I still cant decide to do a sigle pipe or duals with a x-pipe on my sbc. A lot of the Jet boat guys are begining to run BIG singles and same with some of the muscle car racers I know. I also know that the top trans am guys are running singles. What gives? :D

Douglas

Grumpy, How is one to be remotely able to stuff 3.5 inch pipes under a Zcar, when getting headers is such a challenge? I suspect that ground clearance is gonna be a huge issue...

Suggestions/ Help/ Advice???

I'm getting ready to buy headers within the next 30 days for my 383 stroker build that is estimated at over 500HP...

Mike

PS, I LOVE the Borla XR1s on my C5! :D

Mike, I`m running schoenfeld fenderwell headers.

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/imca_mod.htm They have 1 3/4" primaries and 3 1/2" collectors running into 3 1/2" sidepipes.

The pipes run along the rocker panel and don`t reduce ground clearance at all.

I was planning to run some inserts from schoenfeld, but thanks to Grumpy`s link I have found a much better option.

There are some pics in my album that will give you a little idea of what I`m doing.

"Whats with the dual x-pipes? I dont see what it acomplishes?"

first let me point out thats not my exhaust in the pic, but mine is layed out very similar but useing these

http://store5.yimg.com/I/exhaustpros_1775_19440103

DUAL (X) 3" pipes with a smoother curve exiting my collectors,it

makes it sounds better, lower,in tone and it growls and its meaner,sounding, when combined with the vortec cones, it lowers back pressure in the collectors to what open headers read when the engine RPMS and it allows me to run no mufflers on a light weight exhaust

without getting tickets on the street,

hey it might not work for everyone but I like it!

Thanks for the reply Grumpy,

I am still trying to get my head around the concept of the dual x-pipes. Does the first set create the vacum at the collecter then the second set work as a noise reducer? I was thinking that in 2 revolutions of the motor you would get 4 exhuast pulses at each collecter, The first x-pipe would even this out so you would almost get 8 smaller pulses in each pipe but spaced equally apart. Then you hit the next x-pipe and you could get 16 smaller pulses out of each pipe, this could posably make the exhuast sound a lot smother and posably quieter. Am I on the right track? Does your Vette sound like a v8 or a little more european?

Cheers

Douglas

well it does NOT sound like a typical V-8,infact it sounds more like a nitrous 4 cylinder but with a deeper growl

THE FIRST (x) at least in theory, SPLITS THE PULSES, equally, SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCES BACK PRESSURE AND AIDS SCAVAGING, THE SECOND ALLOWS THEM TO RUN INTO EACH OTHER WHICH TENDS TO LOWER AND MUTE THE SOUND AND FURTHER INCREASE SCAVAGING and smooth and equalize the exhaust flow

IT WORKS, NOT PERFECTLY, BUT IT WORKS

I have very limited experiance with the C-5 corvettes having only worked on less than 10 so far,I can not at this time give a valid answer to which headers are best!

but I can tell you that they will tend to be slightly shorter primaries and slightly larger in dia. than the typical gen 1 sbc because the heads breath better on average at all rpm levels, my engine software suggests

1 3/4" minimum

btw heres a much less complcated calculator than I use

http://www.btinternet.com/~mezporting/exhaust_length.html

things to read

http://grapeaperacing.com/GrapeApeRacing/tech/exhaustheaders.cfm

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/header-tech-c.htm

http://headerdesign.com/

Thanks again,

Very interesting, So buy the "sounds" of things instead if spliting the pulse in to 16 you are actually combining them in the secound set of x-pipes. Do you think a x- pipe into a y-pipe would get similar results? I am only looking for around 400 hp at the fly wheel so it think twin 3 incher is a bit much. I notice you say its not perfect, What would you do different next time? I find the whole concept of your exhuast very interesting, never come across it before and i have talked and searched a hell of a lot.

Cheers

Douglas

a (Y) would work just fine placed after the (X) but youll want to keep in mind that the CROSS SECTIONAL AREA of a 3" collector is about 7 sq inches, , dual 3" pipes exiting a 3"(X) have about 14 sq inches of area would require about a 4" exit from a (Y) to not pose a restriction, remember the idea here is to have performance matching or exceeding open headers while maintaining a low weigth, lower noise levels and low cost

Grumpy, You think going to a 1 3/4 primary on a block hugger will be worth the added expense, as opposed to a 1 5/8th? Will an 1/8th inch really matter in the overall diameter really help with reversion and contamination?

Just trying to decide the route to take with my 500+HP project here. The cramped confined of the Z are tough both in the engine bay and with regards to ground clearance.

Mike

I seriously doubt youll get to 500hp useing block hugger 1 5/8 or 1 3/4" headers and a exhaust pipe ,without nitrous, look over the post on making your own headers, full length headers significantly add to cylinder scavaging , block huggers are mainly designed for easy installation and are only slightly better than factory cast exhaust manifolds

Im going to need to make a custom set when I install my 496 bbc in my 1985 corvette,Ill try and take pics. then,unfortunatly that will not be for a few months

Hey guys,

I am in the "recycle" business and I get tons of stainless tubing of all sizes... It come from the semiconductor equipment industry so it is quality stuff... I get alot of short peices that are all mandrel bent. I have thought of collecting a bunch of it to have my own headers/exhaust built but I figured it would just cost to much to have someone do the cutting and welding... I will see if I can find a way to post a few pics for you to look at... If you want, email me direct "myron@axcesstech.net" and I can get pics to you alot quicker than me trying to post them online...

Myron