HybridZ

I WANT YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS, GENTELMEN

hs350.jpg

2car_350.jpg

heres two metal frame synthetic car shelters, how many of you have purchased or would purchase one of these for your car. the reason Im asking is that I may want to get a distributorship as Ive found them to be a really good tool to allow working on my corvettes and feel they are priced fairly

according to the manufacturer the dual or triple layer synthetic cover is good for approximately 10 years

http://coverit.com/technical/tech_cover.html

http://coverit.com/technical/compare.html

http://coverit.com/technical/tech_anchor.html

http://coverit.com/technical/tech_faq.html

and its not the cheap nylon/rayon/tafata tent cover like SEARS and COSTCO SELL

YOUR FEEDBACK/INPUT IS WANTED GUYS

I had one that I bought from Costco, manufactured by Cosmo Products in the Northwest (Oregon, I think). It was 10' wide, by 20' long, by 20'high (in the center...pitched roof design). Very similar in design to the first picture above. It came with metal frame and a roof, 2 long sides and 1 end piece. It was absolutely indispensable for when I was doing all the bodywork on the Z. I could be out of the wind and rain and sun, while still having good ventilation when sanding filler, or spraying primer/paint. I think I paid about $180 for it and it was the best investment for sure. The only downside is that the tarps would get brittle from the elements and eventually became like eggshells and just ripped in the wind. I replaced the sides after about 2 years. If the tarp material will hold up to elements better than mine did (maybe last at least 5 years), then absolutley!!

HTH,

Tim

I have 2 of these, one is a green 12x20 I use as a workshop, the other is a 12x12 clear greenhouse one we use as a storage shed. It has been up for about 5 years and is holding up great. The best part was that I bought both at a garage sale for ~$80. The only issue I've had was that the dark one gets pretty warm inside during the summer w/o any ventilation.

I am using one of those right now to store/work on my Z. Mine is a 24'X12' similar to the first pic. Think I paid $379 new. Its alright for now, but the covering it came with is thin and probly won't last. It says it's good for the winter, but condensation builds up inside and creates a layer of thin ice all over the roof and sides. Then if it gets a bit warmer in there (like when Im working on the car, or when the sun comes out) it starts driping evrywhere inside. Also, the snow built up around it this past month and was pushing in on the sides. The metal rods were starting to bend a bit, so I had to dig it out on the weekend. It's been ok... but I'd rather have a 'real' garage to work in. As for storage / shed space, it's great and I'll probably keep mine around even after I have a Garage. I mean, a House with a garage.. :lol:

I have a friend who has one very similar to the second one and he loves it. He put down a good layer of gravel and uses it to store his 69/70 Monte Carlos. This guy is extremely anal about everything, especially his cars and he is considering buying a second one. He did install a vent fan in the rear to help with the Georgia heat. It does seem to be very well made, but I don't know the brand. I could find out if you like.

Man-prices sure have come down since I purchased mine. I have two, a cheap one from Sam's and a more expensive one w/the tripple whatever layered tarp that I bought from some distributor.

The cheap one is used when I need some kind of protection from the elements while working on something (not to good for heavy winds-even when anchored down). The more expensive one, which is somewhere in the range of the second picture you put up yet mine is a single wide and not a double wide...I paid @ $700 for mine with the main difference between the two I have is the amount of metal reinforcement.

I have had the more expensive one now for about 7 years and use it soley for storage. Also, if you plan on using this set up as a shop or protecting a nice car, is that the bottom of the tarps will not keep out wind from outside unless you rig up some sort of a wind block. If you do this then the insides will be quite toasty in the winter w/a simple space heater or frigid in the summer w/a window A/C unit.

The only problem I have found w/going the tarp way as opposed to getting a metal one or building a wood frame building is that if you have cat(s) their curiosity will be to play on it...which means their claws will poke a bunch of holes in them: and the next time it rains or snows you will have leaks everywhere. Of course this is not a problem w/the tent it is more of a problem w/what becomes of your nice tent if you dont have some manner of keeping the cats off it.

I live in the country and need cats to scare the mice off. Needless to say-when a few of the cats couldnt resist playing on the tarped structures...they quickly saw their 9th life pass them by :shock:

If you buy one of these or become a distributor-dont skimp on the outer layer...definately buy the thicker layers: and for goodness sake keep them blasted cats away from it! :evil:

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

cats = cheap practice targets for a #1 driver (golf club)

I have 4 dashounds that catch and kill every mouse they can find, and they only want to be rubbed/petted, in return,they have never scratched anything. they raise HOLY #$%^ if anyone they don,t know even drives by the property, and will run in and try to get me to come look, everytime a car turns into the driveway,

try that with your cat!

Guest Your Car is Slow

I was just about to post the same thing.

Cats, squirrels, etc for some reason love to use the top of mine for a playground.

While the material lasts quite some time in normal conditions...animals destroy it quite rapidly.

Rule #5 of the HYBRID Z RULES AND GUIDELINES,

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=229383&highlight=#229383

5. Please post questions, comments, etc under the correct forum topic heading, and only post in one forum. For example, if you have a Chevy V8Z and have a question/comment on suspension setup, or drive train setup, etc, don't post it in the Chevy V8 section. Also, read the guidelines in the For Sale section.

For the note, the majority of what grumpyvette posts, is not "chevy v8" tech, but just information that can be used in all automotive situations. Id like to see him start posting in the correct forums, so the information can be spread to a wider audience who does not read the chevy v8 board.

David Karey

while your points been taken under advisement your acting like Ive some how insulted you!

WHY?

IF THE GUYS DON,T WANT ME TO POST HERE JUST SAY SO!, I HAVE OTHER FORUMS , I CAN POST AT,OR I CAN NOT POST AT ALL<I THOUGHT I WAS HELPING OUT! IN FACT IM THE PERFORMANCE MODERATOR ON 5 CORVETTE SITES,AND I HAVE RUN AN ENGINE REBUILDING SERVICE

No i dont mean for you to leave at all! I meant for you to divide your posts up by topic so they can be viewed by all! Lots of us that dont have chevy v8's have tents and might wanna participate in a discussion like this. 8)

posting about a tent hardly qualifies as a Chevy V8 project. :D