HybridZ

Gonna Change Oil Pump

rustorbust

How hard is it to change the oil pump on a l28. Ive been having trouble with oil pressure and ive done everything that i thought would fix it but nope, so im gonna change the pump now. I dont have to pull the pan down do i? doesnt it hang off the front of the timing cover? Little help please.

James B.

im thinking that now maybe it could be the spring in the pump itself. I dont really know though. I have already changed the sending unit and it didnt change anything. The pressure seems to fluctuate up and down. Or im also wondering if maybe there is some sludge in the pickup. Is there some kind of flusher that i would be able to run through the the oil system and not harm the engine.

James B.

A lot of guys put a quart of diesel fuel in the oil and run it for a few minutes then change it out, or add a quart of ATF. ATF has LOTS of detergents in it.

I wouldn't trust the stock sender. Might be worth getting a cheapo auto parts store mechanical gauge (~$20) just to check it. You don't even need to mount the gauge, just use it under the hood, then disconnect and reconnect your stock gauge if the gauge is not the problem. If the stock gauge is bad, then run the hose inside the car and mount the gauge.

Jon

Remember those are 30 year old gauges...They weren't that accurate when they were new. Just buy a cheap mechanical gauge at you local auto parts store and T into the oil feed. They are usually < $20. Even if you have to change the pump/spring at a later date, it will give you piece of mind to know where your pressure sits.

Guest Zachb55

I agree your best bet is to get a mechanical guage and check it with that. you get an accurate reading and know what it really is. i used this when rebuilding my engine so i didnt toast it because of a bad electronic sending unit. You might have to order in a special fitting to go into that hole though, thats what i had to do, darn thing costed $15 for a little nut deal, but it was worth it. go get yourself a guage and Napa or somethin, then if you still have low pressure, try a high pressure spring or just a replacement, then if all else fails, take that baby off there and rip it apart, it would have to be pretty worn inside to not be able to make much pressure. well good luck, ive been having lots of trouble with my oil pump too, changing the gasket on it sure seemed to help though... just a thought. also maybe a higher viscosity oil would help, if your not in too cold a place...

-Zach