HybridZ

Best seats for Z besides Z seats

THUNDERZ

Guest comeandzpa
I've sat in and driven a colleagues 2003 Tiburon GT. Those seats are FANTASTIC!! I even said to her "Don't be surprised if you come out one day and your seats are gone!!"

The new ones really are fantastic, I forgot about them. The seats in WRX's are Recaro's I think....incredible stock seats, I love them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need first gen Eclipse seats. I'm not sure when the break is. I have Eclipse seats in my car now (and a set of Talon seats for sale). I am very happy. Now if I was any taller than 6' I wouold have problems. If I was to autox with a helmet i might have problems, and I'm pretty sure I'll have problems when I go to install my roll bar.

But the install is pretty straight forward. The front holes line up with the factory Z holes! Just use the bolt and nut from the Eclipse/Talon. The rear of the slider needs to be modified. This requires cutting off the foot where the seat bolted into the Eclipse. Then mark along the slider where it will lie across the Z's seat mount. Then weld a 3/4" long bolt to the slider as a stud. Reassemble the tracks onto the seats and bolt in. One of the reasons I really like this seat install is ZERO modifications to the car.

And the seats have the same profile as the factory seats so they look right in the car.

The first pics is the Talon, second the Eclipse. I just like the color combo of the Eclipse seats better. The Talon seats have larger bolster, adjustable thigh support on the drivers side (you can see the lumbar adjustment in the pic) and moveable headrests that the Eclipse seats lack.

zseats.jpg

zseats1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the middle of a 240 project. I'm 6'3" and with the stock seats my head was like 1/2" from the headliner. Also, it was (and still is a little) hard to get my leg between the seat and the wheel! I now have a set of leather Miata seats and they are MUCH better. They are not in right now or I would post pictures but they were very easy to adapt to the car (probably spent about an hour). I used the "Z sliders bolted directly to the Mazda seat bottom. I did have to clearance the seat bottom a bit with a cut off tool. The bolt pattern on the Mazda is also a bit narrower so I had to drill a couple new holes in the floor and my seat is about 1/4" offset towards the tunnel. I think once I have a little smaller wheel I will be able to fit just fine. Maybe I will hold on to the stock 240 wheel incase Im ever restoring a bus!

Guest KillerZees

anyone tried the new celica seats. My mom has a 2001 and the stock seats look like race seats, theyre simple, sit low and comfortable and you can geta pair for like 100 bucks. I wanna try those.

Have Acura interga seats in my z. had to cut the bases to narrow them significantly to fit, and they are still tight. There are a lot of seats out there, but most are for FWD cars with narrow tunnels and wide seat bases. So check the base dimensions first to see if it will fit.

I ran a search on the Tiburon seats and they can be gotten for a very good price (150 -250 each in Leather, or 75 to 100 each in cloth). Has anyone looked at the base. How much fabrication will be required? They look like a real solution to my seat problem, if they will work.

ecp48

FL327 has Z32 seats in his Z and he said they fit great.

i loved the stock seats in my Z32..

mike

great seats, and take very little mods to fit.

I am pretty tall, 6 foot plus, and modded drivers side more than passenger for the headroom. Drivers seat is a passenger seat from TT(tt drivers seat had a huge rip in it) passenger in mine is an NA z32 seat, I may fix the tt drivers seat, since its a power seat and I cant pass taht one up. Its funny having the same seat, but one is black leather and the other one is blue cloth. Good part about that one is that the seat brackets are the same and if I find a cherry leather seat itll dump in. Drill four holes in the z32 seats and the z sliders bolt right up. Me being me, I wont swap seats into my car unless its either A. Leather B. Racing seat if its not leather, with the exception of the z32 NA seat, its more of a prototype anyways.

Grab a set of seats out of an 84 Mazda RX7 GSL. That was my last car and my god are those seat comfy. They sit nice and low too so you feel like you are in the car and not ontop of it. I still have both seat too. I might use them for my car if no one buys them

Guest bastaad525
I am in the middle of a 240 project. I'm 6'3" and with the stock seats my head was like 1/2" from the headliner. Also, it was (and still is a little) hard to get my leg between the seat and the wheel! I now have a set of leather Miata seats and they are MUCH better. They are not in right now or I would post pictures but they were very easy to adapt to the car (probably spent about an hour). I used the "Z sliders bolted directly to the Mazda seat bottom. I did have to clearance the seat bottom a bit with a cut off tool. The bolt pattern on the Mazda is also a bit narrower so I had to drill a couple new holes in the floor and my seat is about 1/4" offset towards the tunnel. I think once I have a little smaller wheel I will be able to fit just fine. Maybe I will hold on to the stock 240 wheel incase Im ever restoring a bus!

I feel you on that dude... I"m also a 6'3" and I have to do some funky contortions to get my right leg in between the wheel and the seat. The seats themselves also feel way too small to me... Now that my wife has her 'new' car, I really want to take the seats out of her (now pretty much my) '89 Prelude Si.... very nice seats, they dont feel "small" the way the Z seats do... they have good side and thigh bolstering, the side bolsters are adjustable, the seats are cloth and just really hold me in good when I'm hooliganing around in her car. They are the right color and I think they'd look great in my car... but I do worry that installing them may make getting into and out of the car even more of a hassle. I also really wonder just how much 'customizing' it will take to get them to work in the Z. Tim240z has offered to have a look at them after the MSA Z meet (okay well actually I kinda pleaded him into it)... seeing his custom handiwork... hehe I bet this guy could get anything to fit into anywhere!

I think these are really fantastic seats and since they are in the red-headed stepchild of the preludes (I dont know why but it is the most unloved and unsupported, aftermarket wise) I bet they would be easy and cheap to come by. Hell you can pick up whole cars for less than a pair of racing seats!

If not that then I think I may look into those eclipse seats... having two of the four bolt holes line up right off the bat is a real bonus. Or maybe those Tiburon seats? Nice to see that even newer car seats can be had so cheap... considering how some of them stack up pretty nicely to even dedicated race seats but for a fraction of the cost....

Guest bluex_v1
has anyone seen summit's sport seat?

http://store.summitracing.com/search.asp?type=bysummitpart&searchtype=both&part=SUM-G1155&x=25&y=12

no pic' date=' but its on page 258 of the latest catalog[/quote']

..just answering my own question: I saw one of the vinyl A3 seats at pepboys, and it looks identical to the summit seat, down to the stitching. It seemed like it would be ok with some extra bracing against the cage. Pretty comfy contours, but way too wide for me. It'd probably be good for someone with a 36" or bigger waist though. No crotch harness holes either.

The best seats I've had in my car were 3rd gen RX7 R1 seats in black suede. (Most of them had black or tan leather, but same seat) They were very easy to mount, extremely comfortable and have a slot in the headrest that is perfect for those with a rollbar and harnesses.

The best seats I've had in my car were 3rd gen RX7 R1 seats in black suede. (Most of them had black or tan leather, but same seat) They were very easy to mount, extremely comfortable and have a slot in the headrest that is perfect for those with a rollbar and harnesses.

Yeah, those are awesome seats. THey cost an arm and a leg though.

The best seats I've had in my car were 3rd gen RX7 R1 seats in black suede. (Most of them had black or tan leather' date=' but same seat) They were very easy to mount, extremely comfortable and have a slot in the headrest that is perfect for those with a rollbar and harnesses.[/quote']

Yeah, those are awesome seats. THey cost an arm and a leg though.

They usually go for $600 a pair, which isn't too bad. I scored a set at a yard that had them sitting up in the rafter for a few years for $350 for the pair. I'm currently installing C5 (actually Z06) seats in my 280Z, but they cost a few bucks, too. The best thing about OEM is that they tend to build them to last longer than most aftermarket seats I've seen. (the whole warranty thing)