HybridZ

LS1 with T5?

I'm in the process of collecting parts for a 240Z LS1 swap. I was considering the T56 but thought that it would be worth checking into a T5...

The T5 can be upgraded to put up with the torque, fits better in the tranny tunnel, is ~100 pounds lighter. The cost to upgrade a T5 vs buying a T56 is comparable...

During the process of having the T5 "beefed up" you can select any gears you want, that's yet another benefit...

Will a stock GM style T5 bell housing bolt up to a LS1? Any issues?

Will there be any issues with the ECM? (Speed sensing stuff Ect)

Thanks!

Ken

Intriguing!

You're a little optimistic on the weight savings. I believe it's a lot closer to 75 lbs. lighter, but still not insignificant.

VSS should be no problem, just a pulse signal. T5's used 4k pulses per mile.

Well worth investigating. Bet G-Force could answer the question.

If you're "beefing up the internals", you are adding weight. My bet is you drop down to ~50lbs weight savings.

Bell house is different. Input shaft is different. These are problems that can be solved, but why? To save a few pounds? And for your trouble you lose a gear.

But in using G-Force, you are more likely to get gearing the way you want it vs being stuck with the stock (low) ratio of 1st gear with the T56. That's what really bites IMO. Don't a lot of guys on this board with the T56 upgrade say that 1st is useless? Then the tranny just becomes a heavy 5 speed. Plus, the G-Force gears are stronger then the T56 gears, judging by the amount of horseower they claim their transmissions can handle. I should note that all of this is off the top of my head and it is late...*ugh*

Davy

Yeah, I was worried about 1st gear with my 4.11. But after driving with it, it is plenty usable. And long term I will have some kind of LSD with a lower ratio, so, no worries there.

T56 is certainly heavy - seems lighter than the A4 though (at least according to my knees).

OK' date=' I'm owned :D

Davy[/quote']

I don't know if I would give up so fast. I have read quite a number of posts about the gear spread of the T56. People like Phantom and Mike Kelly if memory serves. Maybe "useless" is too strong of a word, but I think you raised some valid points either way.

Two other things to consider. First is the conversion cost of a T5 to an LS1 vs the cost of an LS1 T56. One of the big advantages of a T5 on an older SBC is they are bolt up affairs. But the the LS1 T56 is a different animal. So I don't know how much I would be willing to pay to convert an LS1 to a T5, espeically since the LS1 T56 seems to be cheaper than the LT1 version to begin with. Guess you are going to find out for us.

Second, I would be somewhat careful evaluating the G Force T5. I would want to hear a few more real world testimonials from guys actually using/abusing them. If you read the weasel words on their site, they don't really state a torque rating. Others have stated they believe the problem with the T5 is case flex. If this is true, then I wonder how much can be done with just stronger internals.

Just more fuel for the fire.

When I first started driving my car I seriously thought I'd made a boo-boo with the T56. With 3.70 gears in the rear I just don't need 1st gear in normal daily driving and 6th has me cruising at 60 at 1,500 RPM. The culprit is the 1st gear ratio - about 2.66:1 while second is a distant 1.78:1. I would be a lot happier with a 2.3:1 1st. tighter gearing and more useful 1st. I thought - why not get a 5-spd with about 3.45 gears in the rear and it would be about right?

Then I took the car to the track. I'm definitely glad I have the T56 now. The first 4 allow me to really haul - I just need better tires - and then I have the last 2 for quiet cruising and good fuel economy. If I had my druthers I'd probably put in a 3.36:1 gear set in the R200 and call it good. I'd then be cruising at 60 at 1,360 RPM but the LS1 will handle it fine.

PS - I saw a used LS1 style T56 advertised the other day for $700. I really don't think the prices are all that bad now.

Well I spoke to G-Force today...

They say there won't be any real issues with bolting it up.

The challenges? Finding a reasonably priced 88-92 WC T5 housing for the right price... If you can find one for $250 - $450 range then I think this is a viable solution. Unfortunately, the WC case can get pricey...

The Gear set is $950 and an upgraded main shaft is another $250. If you have them assemble it they charge $250.

Case $300

Gearset $950

Main Shaft $250

Assembly $250

Misc $250

Total around $2000 for a brand new transmission that should be bullet proof! I've seen a few cheaper T56's go for no lower than $750 (but with higher miles)... Most times they sell for $1300 to $1500

Here's a quote for any doubters about the strength and durability

"the G-Force T-5 kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. of torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track with a moderate clutch upgrade."

As far as the gearing... 2.94, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00, .59

You guys can make your own decisions, but with a 245/45/16 with an OD of 24.7" and a 3.70 Diff here's the numbers:

80 MPH

3rd Gear 5402 RPM

4th Gear 4031 RPM

5th Gear 2378 RPM

40 MPH

1st Gear 5926 RPM

2nd Gear 3910 RPM

3rd Gear 2701 RPM

4th Gear 2016 RPM

5th Gear 1189 RPM

I like what I see so far.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for the responses...

Ken

Most have higher miles and you run the risk of them having been abused in the past... A T56 rebuild will cost you over $2000 is some cases.

The example you gave is $1000 has 60,000 miles and has had a previous "clutch explosion"...

Sure you might find one cheaper, but in the long run the $2000 for a bullet proof BRAND NEW T5 trans is well worth it.

You're comparing a used T56 price to a new aftermarket ENHANCED transmission... not an apples to apples comparison...

Here's a quote for any doubters about the strength and durability

"the G-Force T-5 kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. of torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track with a moderate clutch upgrade."

Not to be a PITA' date=' but you took that quote slightly out of context. The entire quote is

Although we do not like to put torque or horsepower ratings on our products due to the vast differences in clutch, engine, chassis, tire, and mounting combinations, we can give a very rough estimate. There are simply too many variables to consider when trying to figure out how much power or torque a transmission will take in a particular application. Generally, it can be assumed that with the available upgraded mainshaft, the G-Force T-5 kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. or torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track with a moderate clutch upgrade. Obviously this is just a rough estimate regarding the power and torque handling capability, but it should give some idea as to what the G-Force T-5 kit will handle in your particular application.

Keep in mind you can't compare the price of an LT1 T56 with that of an LS1 variant.

Not to be a PITA, but you took that quote slightly out of context. The entire quote is

Quote:

Although we do not like to put torque or horsepower ratings on our products due to the vast differences in clutch, engine, chassis, tire, and mounting combinations, we can give a very rough estimate. There are simply too many variables to consider when trying to figure out how much power or torque a transmission will take in a particular application. Generally, it can be assumed that with the available upgraded mainshaft, the G-Force T-5 kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. or torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track with a moderate clutch upgrade. Obviously this is just a rough estimate regarding the power and torque handling capability, but it should give some idea as to what the G-Force T-5 kit will handle in your particular application.

I personally spoke to them... and quoted their website in the context of my conversation with them... We spoke about several cars that EXCEED the numbers above. Obviously, they need to be conservative with what they put in writing, but I'm quite comfortable with what I said and feel it's accurate...

Are you trying to prove a point? If so... what is it? Do you have some sort of proof that it won't be able to handle the torque? If not then why the comments?

Ken

Are you trying to prove a point? If so... what is it? Do you have some sort of proof that it won't be able to handle the torque? If not then why the comments?

Ken

Just trying to get some definitive information. I am also interested in the G force, for much the same reasons as you. But the quote I cut and pasted directly from their website doesn't inspire much confidence. What would ice it for me is if someone is personally using the tranny with good results.