HybridZ

Corvette RANT...

Mikelly

OK, I've had my Vette for almost two months now, and aside from the MORONS who like to pull up beside me and rev their motors, my only complaint with the car has been the stereo... Yes the stereo. :roll:

How is it that FORD can put such an absolutley wonderfull stereo (Mach460) in my 1995 Mustand, yet Chevy puts that BOSE CRAP in my 99 Vette?

You got highs, and you got lows... You got BOSE! NO midrange, horrible speaker placement, and just a bad design of sound system...

So I'm gonna buy a head unit today, and probably an amp and a sub or two (10s or smaller). I've already upgraded the door speakers and the rear a-pillar speakers, but need to by-pass the factory wiring, because everything runs through the heart of the problem, the Bose similator/ pre-amp...

Oh Well, Other than that, I really can't complain... Knocking down up to 29MPG at times, and the fit and finish is still good, so I guess I can replace the system and be happy! :roll:

But you'd expect for a $40K car to have a decent system, ya know? :roll:

Mike 8)

Ditto. I had a Bose system in a Buick I had as a simple company car, and it totally rocked in comparison to just about anything else, including my aftermarket unit in my Volvo.

Mike, what you are describing is not typical of Bose from what I know. I hope your aftermarket unit does better in the Vette.

Davy

What kind of head unit are you looking to put in the Vette?

Also, for subwoofers you may want to check out http://www.diysubwoofers.org/talkshop/ as they offer some good info about how different subs compare to others. My set of 10's that I got from recomendations from those on the forum are simply awesome.

Another good place to check for good speaker deals is http://www.ubid.com. I bought my CDT subs and MA Audio speakers from there. Great stuff. Just don't buy refurbished heads from them, because they never seem to work right.

If you're looking at amps, US Acoustics and Blaupunkt T-Class are the way to go. Great power, last long, both are underated as far as wattage goes, and come in at a great price. http://www.sounddomain.com should have good deals on both.

After college I sold and installed home and car stereo, working my up through the chain of stores to General Manager.

I have NEVER been impressed with BOSE - starting with the (in)famous 901 - 9 6" drivers that were supposed to cover the full range of sound?

My ZXT has a Sony CD preamp, Hafler 100w/ch amp driving ADS speakers in custom enclosures on the front door, and RF Punch 45 driving 6.5" Pioneer co-axes in the stock location and an RF Punch 100 driving a Kicker Competion 12" in a 1.75 cu. ft. box.

More than loud enough for me on the expressway with the t-tops off and accurate.

My wife drives the Q45 (w/BOSE) and I just keep it loud enough for background music, because anything she has to say is FAR more important than anything I could be listening to... :roll:

I have left the Town car stock with the CD system that comes in the signature series as an upgrade.

I have NO IDEA what I'll wind up with in the '75 once it is on the road...

Actually, The Vettes seem to have this issue... Apparently the system they install in the vettes has lots of issues... Sounds great for about two years, then the bose simulator starts to lose all midrange... I purchased some 6.5 inch three ways (Pair of Blaupunkts and pair of JLs) and a Panasonic Head unit with a bazillion feautres, including MP3... However, it isn't compatible with the THREE CD changers I own! :roll: Oh well... I'm gonna check into the Basslinks, because I really don't want to go cutting up my rear panels...

This system sounds 110% better... I finished it up tonight, and if I do nothing else with it, I could certainly live with this setup and a changer. :D

Mike 8)

Guest bastaad525
OK' date=' I've had my Vette for almost two months now, and aside from the MORONS who like to pull up beside me and rev their motors, my only complaint with the car has been the stereo... Yes the stereo. :roll:

How is it that FORD can put such an absolutley wonderfull stereo (Mach460) in my 1995 Mustand, yet Chevy puts that BOSE CRAP in my 99 Vette?

You got highs, and you got lows... You got BOSE! NO midrange, horrible speaker placement, and just a bad design of sound system...

So I'm gonna buy a head unit today, and probably an amp and a sub or two (10s or smaller). I've already upgraded the door speakers and the rear a-pillar speakers, but need to by-pass the factory wiring, because everything runs through the heart of the problem, the Bose similator/ pre-amp...

Oh Well, Other than that, I really can't complain... Knocking down up to 29MPG at times, and the fit and finish is still good, so I guess I can replace the system and be happy! :roll:

But you'd expect for a $40K car to have a decent system, ya know? :roll:

Mike 8)[/quote']

BAH... they do that on purpose... who needs a stereo when the Vette's motor makes such BEEEEEEEEE-U-T-FUL music all on it's own!

seriously, I refuse to install a stereo in my Z for this very reason :) I love the exhaust sound and all the whooshing of the turbo :)

Mike, you might be able to reprogram the stereo to take out the Bose equalization if you have or can get access to the engine management software. I have the Bose system in an S4 and I remember reading on one of the forums that you can enter a code in the diagnostic software that will take off the Bose programming. As I understand it, the Bose program compresses the sound - I think it is horrible and have never like any of the Bose products or their audio philosophy.

Before you chuck the system, check with some of the vette forums to see if there is similar info on zapping the Bose programming. The speakers, amp, and head unit are probably just fine if they are run at normal, flat equalization.

Dave