HybridZ

ARG! Cant get the car to run!

You can pull them out and check them from end to end with an ohm meter for continuity (0 ohms).

You can also hear the injectors when they are opening. If someone is starting the car and you press a screwdriver against your ear and hold it on the injector then you should be able to hear it fire. You could also pull the cold start injector out and see if its spraying when you turn the car over just to make sure you have pressure. If that doesnt work you might try a shot or 2 of starting fluid into the cold injector hole and see if it fires. If it does then fuel is the problem.

Dale

• 1 month later...

OK i was looking at the electrical again, and I found the dropping resistors under the clutch. The wires from the FI harness go into what looks like a 3 pack of ceramic AA batteries inside a metal case, and the wiring diagram said that they control how much electricity go through the ECU, injectors. Could this burnout because I dont see metal in the battery looking things :?

Have you checked to see that you do not have the timing 180° out. If you have spark and gas it should at least fire. Try squirting some starting fluid into the intake and see if it will fire. If it doen't fire your problem is in the ingition system. If it tires to run on the starting fluid and dies your problem is in the fuel system. Check and see if you are getting spark at each plug. I have seen the rotor in the distrubuter stripped before and cause a car not to run.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here's the problem. The timing is ok and I know I am getting fuel and fuel pressure because when I took off the injectors there was fuel in the rail and the lines. I checked the dropping resistor (its under the clutch master cylinder)and it isnt burned out. I and getting electricity to all the lights and I think the ECU, but it seems that the injectors arent getting any power because the plugs are dry. I first thought it was the dropping resistor because it controls how much power goes to the injectors, but since its ok I think that the problem is somewhere in the system before the ECU. So far I have checked the fusible links on the passenger side engine compartment, and also all the fuses in the fuse block. In the Z manual it shows an injector relay, but I cant find it. Also any tips on how to find all the fusible links and how to check to see if the ECU is getting power would be GREATLY appreciated.

Guest 2slo4u

Man, it seems like you have no 12v going to the ignition circuits. If you think the injectors are sticking, try this: Get a 5w 6ohm resistor and disconnect the injectors. Put ground to one side of the injector and hook the resistor to the other side. Now tap the wire coming from the resistor to the battery positive. (DO NOT keep it connected to 12v, it will burn the injector coil) If the injector is actually stuck, this may pull it open. If the injector ticks, it is not stuck. And like the guy said above, a "noid" light will tell you if the injectors are getting their firing pulse. Sounds like you are not getting the ignition 12v most likely, though.

(oops, looks like I replied a little late)

good luck

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

ok I was playing around with the car, and after I was done I checked the plugs again, and I found that the plugs on cylinder 6 and 1 were wet. I had soaked the injectors before in the cleaner, but I guess it wasnt strong enough to take off the varnish from the old gas from when we ran it about a year ago. Since now I know for sure that I am getting power, I was thinking I could "borrow" the injectors off our 81zxt parts car. Would the extra flow cause the car to flood, or would it not make a difference? Im glad that its not the electrical, but just the injectors :)