HybridZ

ARG! Cant get the car to run!

I finally put the car back together after about 9 months of work. Unfortunatly the car wont run :evil: , but it does turn over fine. At first we thought it was the timing, but we checked and everything is right on top dead center. The car is getting spark, gas, combustion, and the timing seems to be right on. Why is it doing this? BTW the car is a 75 280z and on the thermostat housing there is a small ground plug that has a broken wire, it used to have one ground and the other "terminal" was already broken off so I dont know what it looks like. The car ran before the disassembly so I dont if it is too important, but since something similar costs nearly $80 at the parts store, it must be important :? any replies would be greatly appreciated, I wanna get this thing on the road! :)

When my car sat for a long time the injectors got stuck/dirty/varnished, whatever and would only run with a huge vacuum leak until I poured a ton of injector cleaner in the tank. So disconnect a vacuum line and see if it'll start, it's worth trying.

As for that broken thing, it could be the thermodyme or the temperature sensor, I'll have to go look at my car. If it is the thermotime, that means the coldstart injector isn't going to work - but then I've read thats only useful below 30°F or so.

• 1 month later...
Guest AmericanGodzila

I have the same problem with my 76 z too. I had check all the components according to the manual to why it won't start except the water temp. There spark, fuel, air, but it won't start I though it would be my pressure regulator. When I check the spark plug it was wet like it flooding. I'm sorry if I just cut in with my problem with your.

Guest AmericanGodzila

I did check the AFM and the flap was ok. Today I take a look at the fuel pressure regulator it was found bad alright. It seem like its not hold the vacuum pressure. I compared it with the new regulator and it was different. So I changed the regulator and It start but idle very rough below 500 rpm. So I adjusted the idle screw but it show no different in rpm. I needs some help badly. If someone on this site could help me out I'll send 20 dollars donation to this site.

you need this triangle for the engine to fire , spark, fuel and compression

you seem to have two as indicated on your post, take a compression reading , your lifters may still be collapsed , its a common problem i have found, we all get excited on the fireup. it will probably run noisy and smoke for a couple minutes and you may think someting is wrong , let things seat under the variable idle and turn it off after about 10 /15 minutes and check oil and coolant levels, let it set and get up to temp and make sure you have a temp gun avalible to keep an eye on the coolant temp, restart and z be gone good luck

Well, it seems that it isnt getting any fuel into the cylinders. The only plugs that get any fuel on them at all are 1 and 6. The rest are bone dry, even after minutes of cranking (not all at once :) ). I know there is fuel in the lines because i have a small leak in on of the hoses on the fuel rail. I dont think that the injectors are bad because it ran great before we took it apart to replace the HG. If they are stuck then how can I get them flowing (even with injector cleaner)? BTW I have a 280zxt fuel pump on the car (the old on crapped out on me after dissasembly), could that be messing up the injectors because of the extra fuel flow?

First of all fix the "small fuel leak" !!!!!!! There is no such thing as a "small fuel leak" Fuel + Hot engine parts = Bad day! :shock:

If your sure you have spark and compression. Then either your injectors are not firing or they are clogged. Do you have a "noid" light? A noid light is used to test injector harnesses to see if the computer is sending a signal to the injector to fire. If not you probably can get the one you need at a parts store like Auto Zone.

Guy

Um.. yah.. but I think even a 'small' fuel leak would drop the pressure in the line significantly.. and may be causing the no-start problem.. As for the injectors, if they are gumed up/varnished from old gas you can try what me and my friend did: Take the injectors out, drop them all in a small container, fill with varsol, close container and place on top of/near very loud sub-woofer for a while. (I just drove around with my stsreo cranked for about 20 mints, with the container on top of the sub box) Sort of the poor mans ultrasonic bath.. :oops: Hey, it worked for my buddys Geo storm's injectors!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished putting the injectors back on after soaking them, and it still isnt getting any fuel into the cylinders. I also noticed that the brake lights, fan, and lowbeams dont work either (they did when the car was running pre dissasembly). Could they and the FI be connected? :?

hehe, I would be tempted to, but I dont have the money for the swap :( . I pretty much just want to get the car running so I can get it insured with the stock motor and then swap in our 81zxt engine :twisted: (im taking out the roll bar too, dont want them to charge me more for insurance :) )

I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine, but I havent looked at the fusible links yet

ok, well I checked the fusible links and they look fine. When I replaced the head gasket the only things I took off where the connectors on the wiring harness to the injectors and the intake manifold, and replaced the battery. I cant think why it would have electric problems... :?

BTW Tim, could you give me your V8 engine/drivetrain? It would be for a good cause :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well there are 2 fusible links that connect directly to the battery that are not under the the 2 white boxs that control the fuel injection. They come from the positive lead on the battery straight to a plug with 2 green wires and that plugs into the injector circuit. The 2 green wires are the dual fusible links. Check that out.

I had a similar problem eons ago... turned out that I had bad O-rings, and they failed when I pulled the motor. Sweated it for about a week, and then some old guy suggested replacing them. I waffled for a while, because it seemed like a lot of work for no guarantee... but it fixed the prob....