HybridZ

dynamat alternatives

Guest kentmocr250

Guest kentmocr250

looking for alternatives that may have been used instead of dyna$$$mat. i,m looking at a product called window wrap for home building. it has a sticky asphalt based membrane with a vinyl like outer coating. curious to know if anyone has used a similar product( ie:gutter seal etc.) or another lesser expensive alternative.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite is brown bread. Much cheaper than dynamat (and a little better). A little more money than FatMat but it is much thicker (50%) than fatmat and as you know thicker = more insulation.

Also there have been review of brown bread that show it works very well.

I don't know if there have been head to head review of fatmat against dynamat and brown bread ?

I got mine from this site

http://www.b-quiet.com/

I have just installed the liquid fat mat and the brown bread. I won't have a chance to tell how they work for a while, but the application is straight forward and the product seems to be of a good quality.

Thanks Afshin, one must keep life varied to be interesting in more than just the automotive department. I have never met a highland single malt that I haven't liked, or a slope that I haven't enjoyed sliding down. As far as the women and cars go, there are to many models of each to be able to make a blanket statement, my ex-wife would definetely be one of those less desirable models, and then theres the Yugo. :cheers:

All of these dampers/insulators performance are measured by their ability to dampen vibration. The unit is called Acoustic Loss Factor (ALF) which is the same as Damping loss factor (DLF). the range is from 0 to 1 with 1 being the best.

regular dynamat ALF is about 0.14, dynamat extreem is about 0.4. Brown bread is 0.39, B-quiet is about 0.20 and the stuff sold at McMaster is rated at .1 and .13.

So the best two materials are dynamat extreem and brown bread. .

Now on price:

Dynamat extreem is way overpriced and hence out (about $5 per square foot)

Brown Bread is about $2.35 per square foot (I used 70 feet for my car)

The Mc Master product which is similar to the regular dynamat (ALF of only .13) is $2.50 per square foot or $1.20 for the one rated even loer at 0.10 ALF/DLF. Would not get any of these.

B-quiet with ALF of 0.20 is $1.40 per square foot

SO when looking at best effectivness of the material and price per square foot, Brown bread is the best for high quality dampning

B-quiet is best priced for budget application, not as effective as brown bread, but still a little better than regular dynamat and priced very cheaply. The site I mentioned earlier in this post sells all 3.

• 6 months later...

bring this tread back from the dead

im looking for a dynamat alternative (who would've thought)

i was walking through home depot the other day and found this product

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0686670482.1095721432@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadcmijjmfimcgelceffdfgidgjm.0&MID=9876

any input on it this would work or pros or con

here is their web site

http://www.reflectixinc.com/technology/rvalue.asp

think im goin to give it a try for the price it wouldnt be a major loss. was goin yo us a spray or roll on adhesive to keep in bonded to floor, fire wall and tranny tunnel

Try looking at a roofing supply store for a product called Peel-N-Seal. Comes in a huge roll for about $35. Don't know what the ALF rating is offhand (I'm not at home); but, I'll look into it and post follow-up. For the money, you could double it up and still be WAY ahead!

OK, so I went home and dug up the info. First, I sniffed too much glue today...the price was $83 for the roll; BUT, the roll is 36" x 33.5' (yes, feet). Because it is a roofing material, they do not spec out the ALF(?); but, the mil thickness is 45, which, when I called Dynamat and asked them, they 'guessed' that their 'Extreme' was "in the thirties". The roll weighs in at a hefty 32 lbs.

mas280 has used it (two layers), and Kashabi. I am not far enough along in my project to install it; but, have some Dynamat Extreme left over from another project and compared my roll of this roofing material to the Dynamat, and it clearly seemed that the roofing material was as good, if not better, than the Dynamat.

The website for the Peel & Seal is http://www.mfmbp.com

Hope this helped some. I have my roll and I won't think twice about using it over the expen$ive audio industry material. Though some of the other alternatives previously mentioned sound promising!

Just a little added info on sound dampening. The lower the frequency is you want to reduce, the heavier/thicker (more dense) the material must be. Higher frequencies can be reduced using a lighter (less dense)materials. This information comes from years of practical experience, building top-end recording studios for a well respected company in the music bizz.

lol lol i never thought that this product woulds be so hard to come by. no local shops carry it or even know that it is. did want to order it and go thought the cost of shipping,had to go thought a wholesaler in carrollton.

who would have thought.if any one needs some im sure ill have a ton left over( maybe about half) it beening 36"x33'.so if your looking for some shout me a pm.

ive done some research on some hot rod sites. people that have used this on their cars say it works great for heat and sound (double layer) and seal as well bonds great.

and its easy to apply, BUT ill take some work to get off.

hope to have some pics soon maybe next week