HybridZ

dynamat alternatives

Guest kentmocr250

i used to roof for a living and i always wondered about this stuff. peeling off the film and flipping a 20 foot piece into place in a valley was always fun, especially if someone stupid :bonk: left the rolls in the sun hehe its very very sticky when its warm so becareful not to get it stuck to itself :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Datsun327's stead, I will be letting you guys know how well this Peel N Seal stuff works out, as I've got 17' (around 50 square feet) of the roll that we bought. Should know within a day or two. I'll make sure I post pictures if you guys promise not to make fun of my passenger floorpan. :oops::-D

I used a product similar to peel and seal in my 510. It is a roofing product made by GAF and sold at home depot. It comes in a big roll 3 feet by 100 feet. I think it was around $40 for the roll. I put 2 layers of it from the firewall to area under the back seat. It does a nice job of quieting up the interior and it gets rid of the tinny noise.

It didn't stick as well as I would have liked but I also did it in the winter. If I did it again, I would use a heat gun and warm up the floors first.

• 9 months later...

There's 50 square foot rolls of Black Mat Premium sound deadener on eBay right now for $79.99 'buy it now' price. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5792589397&category=67760&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1. Has anyone used this or heard anything about it?

I found they're web site, but it doesn't have much more information than the auction. http://www.perfectionsound.com/index.html. Of course they claim it's the best, and it's 70 mils thick...but I haven't heard of it before.

BTW - I've been looking and reading about roofing membranes (Peel-n-seal, stuff from Home Depot, etc.) and they definitely seem cost effective, but I would imagine these are all asphalt based instead of butyl based. Wouldn't it be better to use butyl based products for this application?

• 1 month later...