HybridZ

double flare tool

Guest datsun280zmike

Guest datsun280zmike

does anyone know if it is ok for me to use a 3/16th double flare on a 10mm brake line? or will i have some leaking problems...is it really necessary for me to go out and buy a metric double flare tool

I assume by 10mm you mean 10mm fitting or nut. If that's the case, you can buy SAE size tube with a 10mm fitting on it, but I think you'd be OK with just using the closest SAE flare fitting, which I thought was 1/8", but it's been a while.

If you haven't done double flared brake lines before the key is to chamfer the end of the tube before flaring it. I used a big drill bit. I think it was a 3/8" bit. Just stick it in the end of the tube and spin it with your fingers until it chamfers the end of the tube. Without the chamfer you'll never get a good flare, and it took me a while to figure that one out (no one there to show me).

Jon

Steve, about the metric flare > are you sure that you don't need the metric flare ? the reason i ask is, when i was replacing my rear brake tubes, the shops that i was hunting down parts at, 4 different ones, older guys, that used to race and, build datsuns, all told me ... be sure that you use the metric double flare, and the odd datsun/nissan metric nuts. if memory serves, they are 10x1.25. i know that the nuts that attach to the wheel cylinders are not the standard, commonly found pitch, on the readily available 10 mm nuts found on the, bend em yourself, brake tubes.

i ended up at the wreckers and pulled some used ones. gave those to my friend Carl, who sent them off and had duplicate custom made, so that he had a set for his restroration, as they are no longer available new.

not questioning your validity, just wondering if the old timers were repeating old wive's talls are speaking the truth.

thanks, wayne

I believe the fittings are 10 x 1 mm, and I think the guys were telling you to get metric fittings so that they would attach to your calipers and brake lines, not to get metric hard lines.

I've got mine set up with SAE size tubes and metric fittings, so I know it works.

Jon

• 8 months later...

I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead so I don't start a new post on this subject (found this post in a SEARCH)

I've just pulled my hard-lines and I must say... the fittings were trashed! Someone, in thier infinite wisdom, had rounded all of them and I had to use vise-grips to get them off!

So now I need new fittings and I'm a bit stumped on where to get them from. I called this company: http://www.classictube.com and was told that there are no fittings available for the Datsun. They offer a 'kit' and the fittings that they use have had the 'nose' cut off to facilitate thier use in our cars (because standard metric fittings would not work). I was also told that these fittings require a 'flat backed bubble flairing' and that there is no tool I could buy to do this at home. Naturally they don't want me to do this myself because it takes business away from them.

Posts in this thread indicate that there is indeed a tool to flair the lines. Does anyone have a source for the fittings?

Take one of your fittings to the auto parts store. Match it up. It's that easy.

When I was redoing a couple of my lines and installing a prop valve I bought 4 or 5 brake lines that already had flares on either end and just cut the tube to fit and re-flared one end. Someone else was doing this a couple months back and couldn't find fittings locally, but I think that was in TX. They were on the shelf in every auto parts store that I looked for them in CA.

I just went through this myself. The line size that will work is SAE 3/16". I got mine at Schucks for next to nothing. Ask for 3/16" line with metric fittings on each end. They work just fine. Be sure to use a tubing bender and if you need to cut them they are a standard double flare not the bubble flare. Who ever told you that was wrong.

I was also able to pickup a double flare tool from Harbor Freight. Yeah I know "Cheap Chinese Crap" but we'll find out if it works or not.

BTW: Jon thanks for the tip of chamfering the tube before doing the flare.

Wheelman

Yah I had to replace a hard line in the rear drivers side (and both flex lines.. ugh) and couldn't find metric fittings. Ended up buying a length of 3/16 line, and a short piece (6" I think) of 'Japanese brake line' that had the metric fittings and flares on it already. Cut the Jap line to steal the fittings, and reflaired the 3/16" line.. havn't had a leak yet! :lol: But I'm gona upgrade to a zx M/C and booster and toy4X4 this winter, so looks like I'm in for more brake line fun.. :roll: