HybridZ

OK Have to ask 240sx 5spd

ToplessZ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys will love the gearing in the 240sx, i owned one, and i loved to grab the gears in that thing, so i can just imagine with the bigger motor and epesically the turbo if some one is doing it, will have a blast with it. i would love to do this once i get the body done on mine.

75 at 3k?!? wow... i don't think i could handle that. I'm used to cruising about 85-90 at 3k-3200. and 115 max? 120 is cake in my 280 and i can't imagine being limited to it. Sounds like that tranny would be best for 1/4 mile runs maybe... lowering gearing... quick starts.

-Ed

240sx's have 4.08 gearing and top speed limited to 114-5mph (5000ish rpm).

Still do 75 at 3000' date=' which tells me 5th is good ratio since even with the 4.08 the rpm is still pretty good.[/quote']

please read the 4.08 gearing part once again.

The SX's have either a fuel cut or an ignition cut, I can't remember which, at 112 mph. It doesn't come on again until 50 mph. My friend's boss found that one out on a windy highway and it damn near cost him his life. Middle of a long sweeper right on the edge of traction and the engine shut off...

The problem with the SX tranny IMO is the wide ratios. Would be great for a turbo car, but not very good for a triple carbed car.

Jon

Talked to Troy Ermish the other day about using this tranny.

Still in progess. Basically machining L bellhousing to fit the KA trans so the same clutch fork, slave and t/0 will work, and 240mm flywheel not an issue he said. I find it a great alternative to L trannies because jy ones are now 20 years old on the bright side. T5 trans only came 2 years of that run so thats out of the question for me. The sx has a nasty fuel cut similar i think its both fuel and spark, its just gross. I would think with numerically lower than 4.08 the ratios in that trans would be extremely wide, which I think would go great on a turbo car with a little more gear than 3.54.

The 240sx uses a FS5W71C tranny

Ratios should be

1st 3.321

2nd 1.902

3rd 1.308

4th 1.000

5th 0.759 / .0838

Rev 3.382 ( Like you really wanted to know what reverse was)

This is also the same tranny that the 300zx's, 87-88 200sx 84-86 used the B model, pick-up 86? (not sure about the 86) and newer.

There was a difference in syncro parts between the earlier 4cly and 6cly models. I will check on later models and the turbo zx's for syncro differences.

If you are not sure what tranny the donor car has. Look at the Nissan ID plate under the hood. Is should be located on the firewall.

Bottom line left side identifies the tranny.

Bottom line right side give the axle ratio.

FS5W71B ratios

1st 3.592

2nd 2.057

3rd 1.361

4th 1.000

5th 0.821

Rev 3.657

ps I like the site. It is layed out very nice.

Hi just wondering...I blew up my trans on my 280z (blew out 2nd gear at the drags, but it held together until I got her home...gotta luv datsuns!)

It was an 81 n/a trans, and I had it rebuilt. My question is how much can it handle freshly rebuilt (I had broken the front thrust bearing, the 1-2 shift fork, and a few other choice pieces at the dragstrip)

My car is currently running a 15.2 @ 90mph, but I somehow manage to eke a bit more each time. (my times on the stock motor and gearing have come down from 16.4 @81mph down to the current 15.2@90, when I broke the tranny.) What E.T.'s should I start worrying about this and start looking for a stronger tranny?

Thanks,

bryan

p.s. The trans had over 250,000 miles, so I'm hoping it can hold up to a bit more...though I guess I'll refrain from burning out for 2 minutes and almost two miles just to get a trophy!

Nah, dont hold out on the burnouts, please!

15.2 is pretty good for a stock 280z. 90mph with the stock stuff is real good i think. You must be driving the p155 out of that bad boy, good for you! Im waiting on the results from the 1st ka trans swap before I make that an option for me. People give me their KA drivelines when I get the occasional SR work, so getting a trans isnt a problem for me, I just dont want to be the guinea pig. I have a rebuilt trans in my car for about a year now, and its been good to me, but I plan to have a lot of hook and im going to be mean to my driveline pretty soon, and I like driving the 240sxs with that trans, its a good feeling trans and I think its fairly stronger than the z trans judging by how one of my buddies does 100 dougnuts a week, drifts, and goes through a pair of tires a month but the trans has been a rock for him. This is his 2nd 240sx and he relentlessly dogged that one for a year on the same trans drifting, clutch kicking, downshifting, basically dogging it to destruction but the trans wouldnt give up, but the rods did :D The doughnuts and likewise destructive tactics inspire me to use parts he cant break, and inspire me to want to make my z do that, again and AGAIN :twisted:

You willing to part with a KA trans just in case I lunch mine again? :)

I was always wondering about that...It can't be to hard to adapt it being that you can adapt a northstar to a 2.8 V-6 bell. (especially when this tranny BOLTS UP but just is tilted!)

I would be infinitely more secure in knowing I had a tranny that could take all kinds of beating on and ask for more. (though that zx trans defended itself for awhile, probably had more than 50 1/4 mi. runs on that mean old 90 dollar junkyard dog trans, which was noisy the day I put it in!) Course it's now a 900 dollar rebuilt trans, so I would expect it to hold up for awhile (I hope:)

Hopefully I can get her to 14's soon, so I can just merely be slow.

I have one under the knife right now, but that is trans #1, and I have to keep that one for me. I have two more coming my way and should have three by summertime. I would be willing to trade you some stuff for the next one (basically for price of shipping), which is coming out of my buddies car (yes the man that dogs his car because its there, on a clutch job once we pulled the pplate, his clutch fell off in three pieces and dust!)

that tranny is holding up fine, wont send it otherwise.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old topic but wanbted to chime in,

I found very little info on this swap, but nabbed a free KA 5 speed and started playing, the bellhousing is a part of the case just like most S30 tansmissiions, you take the front half off the KA and put your front half onto the KA, sounds simple but there are a couple hurdles:

1. the aformentioned bearing needs to be swapped from the L series tranny to fit into the pocket in the front housing, its a pain to remove but goes on easy

2. the rod for the first second gear sselector shaft is a larger diameter, it's 5/8" compared to the L series 1/2" so that has to be bored out

3. the KA trans is about 2 inches longer, mine is going in my early 240 which had the shorter shaft to begin with havn't measured yet hoping it's fit, it is the correct splines to go into the KA 5 speed

4. the mount will need to be modified, my car being one of the first series will be a bit different

and yes the input splines will accept the L series clutch disk just fine and L series fork and throwout bearing will go in as they go with the front half of the case

also a note, the early cars, had a removable bellhousing, these will not work, the bolt paters for the front half of the case is different from the later 4 speeds and KA 5 speeds so you'll need a 72 or later trans to donate athe front half of the trans case, fork ,TO bearing and countershaft bearing

congratulations 5 speeds are now easy to find

1. the aformentioned bearing needs to be swapped from the L series tranny to fit into the pocket in the front housing, its a pain to remove but goes on easy

I missed the bearing mention somewhere. Which bearing comes from the (L) trans and goes in the (L) front housing?

Counter shaft?

Input shaft?

Throwout?

Thanks