HybridZ

R200 LSD UPDATES.. YES bought a rear end!!!!

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

What you guys think?

i have enough saved for a rear end swap.... i think atleast.

anyways heres my questions...

to your R200 LSD swapers and R230 Swapers..

how much have you spent on your diff swaps, with all related parts needed.

what you think is better.... remember 400+rwhp in a daily driver.. and i'll have a 100shot ill be using when permited...

ill be doing it all.. lots of road racing, drag racing with drag radials and ET-streets, and alot of daily abuse.

so what you guys think.. and ill listen to what you guys have to say.

mike

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been researching this for a while. I think the swap Tim has mapped out is definately the best bang for the buck. 200 LSD are very hard to find and then you still need 300 zx avles and adapters blah blah blah

With Tims setup everything is easily available (at least in your part of the country, at the moment I cant find a R230 around here) and it seems bulletproof MKelly sugested it to me when I asked his opinion on this same subject. Sooo look for a good deal on a Q45 then order some axles through Tim. I want to order some as well but I guess we need a few people to do it together so the machine shop will dedicate the machinery to the job.

Guest ON3GO

ya i just found it.. thanks man...

hmm so a grand and thats not including a diff.. damn.. i dont have that much.. i mean i do just not all for a rear end... i need a few other things.

damn.

mike

Guest Phil1934

R200 was $60 at the Pull a Part. I also took axles and mustache bar. The 300ZXT axles were $105 at another yard. Ross's adapters were $225 or so. I knocked the stubs out to replace the studs for spacers so replaced the bearings which were a little over $200.

Guest ZmeFly

No one seemed to mention the Quaife unit.

To me if your going to spend the amount of money it would cost to put in a R230, why not get yourself a NEW Quaife unit, that is gaurenteed against all conditions.

It would just seem feasable to me, and the better option.

No one seemed to mention the Quaife unit.

To me if your going to spend the amount of money it would cost to put in a R230' date=' why not get yourself a NEW Quaife unit, that is gaurenteed against all conditions.

It would just seem feasable to me, and the better option.[/quote']

That is a good point. has anyone broken down the cost of:

R200

R200 Mustache bar

quaiffe LSD

CV Axles

Adapters

?

Is it comparable? The attraction of the R230 is also the stong axles and the strength of the diff. But as I said in the 1st reponse, the R200 is certainly not out of the running!!

Tim

There were some posts about the Phantom Grip. Cheap for a reason...junk. Don't know it for a fact but that was the impression I got from the posts.....did you uhhhhhhhh SEARCH!?!?! :D:lol::lol::D

ZMe,

If you look at Ross's site the Quafie is 1,990!!!! Even though it's rebuit by him you still have to pay shipping both ways and you still won't have Cv's.

This is what i managed to find so far.

R-200 diff from an 86 300zx turbo with cvs for $50.

R-200 moustache bar for $20.

new boots and grease in the cv's $40.

MML Z31T cv adapters $215.

280z stub axles $60.

Total so far $385.

This is what i hope to add.

MML Quaife LSD unit $1990.

Total $2375. give or take shipping.

Guest ZmeFly

I didnt take into account that they had gone up in price!

At the Quaife America site they list them for 1495.00 Quaife America

I was also forgetting this is for a Z not a ZX. :oops:

So there would be a little more fabircation. Maybe the R230 is the better choice after all. Id like to see somone do it to the ZX. Concidering the R230 is or would be bigger then and probably stronger then the Ford 9 inch, its probably almost indestructable.

My costs so far for a R200 conversion. I have not installed it yet. I got lucky and found an 89 R200 LSD on Ebay that was listed wrong and got it for the reserve price of $300. It is in beautiful condition and looks new and came with good axles. I ended up driving from Ohio to Atlanta to pick it up though. I then purchaced a Mustache bar from a member here for 40 and have a R200 non LSD cover which I got with another rear end from another member here. I plan to buy the CV conversion from Modern Motorsports for $225 and then everything should bolt right in.

So my total will be.

R200 LSD $300

Mustache Bar $40

Axle Adapters $225

Total $565 plus a trip to Atlanta

Guest ON3GO

well im going the LSD R200 route..

Alex says he can put one in and etc when he gets the car so ill have a LSD car when its done.

thanks guys!

mike

Guest ON3GO

Update.. i bought a 87 Turbo R200 LSD rear end.. low miles. 300 bucks.

has axles, rotors, calipers, mounts and etc.

what you guys think!

mike

I paid $25 more than you for just the diff itself. Good buy!!! You'll need to switch the yoke and the cover, unless you make a new transverse link behind the cover to clear the finned sump on the ZX cover. Get a CV conversion setup from Ross and you're good to go!

Jon