HybridZ

Am I going to be able to fit a 255 tire in here? (pics)

Guest bluex_v1

Guest bluex_v1

This is a 245/40r17 on a 9 inch wheel. The sidewalls are angled in a little, and I'd like to go to a 255 if I can. 255's seem to usually have 9" for the manufacturer's measured rim width from what I've seen, so it should be a perfect fit. The question is, will the straighter sidewall and wider tread safely fit between the coils and the spring seat after the coil has some weight to support?

548074_3_full.jpg

548074_4_full.jpg

548074_6_full.jpg

548074_5_full.jpg

Guest bluex_v1
That last pic is so funny. Your wife is like get this dodo outta the living room :D

Yeah, she granted me about 5 days of having 160 lbs worth of MML stuff strewn about the living room floor before issuing the ultimatum. She thought it was cute that I brought the assembly up there to show her though.

I had 245s all around on my mustang, which of course has a much heavier loading on the fronts than a Z, and it was quite managable at low/no speed. Should be even better in the Z with the same mustang steering rack.

Guest iskone

could you tell me what the specs are on your wheels?

?x? with what offset.

I would love to have some fatties like that, will they be under stock fenders?

Instead of power steering would quick steering knukles help?

I know it's probally been discussed but it was I quick thought I had just now.

Guest bluex_v1
could you tell me what the specs are on your wheels?

?x? with what offset.

I would love to have some fatties like that' date=' will they be under stock fenders?

Instead of power steering would quick steering knukles help?

I know it's probally been discussed but it was I quick thought I had just now.[/quote']

they are 17x9, +23mm offset on z31 hubs. I'm going to try to keep the fronts under stock fenders. It looks like it is going to be an extremely close fit, but I may loose too much turning radius for my tastes, and if so, I'll push them out and use zg flares. I'll post some more pics when I get the front reassembled and put some weight on it.

I think quick steering knuckles would make it worse...they are shorter right? so there'd be reduced leverage on each wheel. I'm just doing the power rack swap since I already have the donor parts for it.

Steering effort will be no problem. I've driven a '94 Mustang with 275/40s, and a 4000lb Dakota with 275/55s, both power steering of course, and the effort standing still is easier than the manual steering with 215/60s rolling in my Z. Definitely post pics too, I'll bet that will look mean :D

Patrick.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Do you have to run coil-overs to make the 255/40/17 fit in the rear?

I ask because I'd prefer to stick to the stock type struts in the rear, but I heard that coil overs add tire clearence.

Thanks!!

Do you have to run coil-overs to make the 255/40/17 fit in the rear?

I ask because I'd prefer to stick to the stock type struts in the rear' date=' but I heard that coil overs add tire clearence.

Thanks!![/quote']

With the +23mm offset on that wheel, yes coilovers are required.

Also, coilovers do allow you to run a wider wheel/tire combo than the stock suspension. A few have tucked 17X9" wheels with 245-255 wide tires under stock fenders. Fender lips did need to be rolled and it is a tight fit though.

!M!

Guest Anonymous
With the +23mm offset on that wheel' date=' yes coilovers are required.

Also, coilovers do allow you to run a wider wheel/tire combo than the stock suspension. A few have tucked 17X9" wheels with 245-255 wide tires under stock fenders. Fender lips did need to be rolled and it is a tight fit though.

!M![/quote']

Okay, maybe you can tell me exactly what I need. I planned on running MMS 4x100mm adapters to give me a larger range of rim selection. Here's the link:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_38&products_id=6

So, if I use those adapters with 17x9" rims, what mm offset do I need to fit 255/40/17 tires under the stock quarter panel? Do I still need rear coil overs? I don't mind rolling the inter rear fender lip, but fender flares are not an option.

Thanks in advance for the input.

With those Honda wheel adaptors, you are lucky to find wheels that are 8" wide and no bigger diameter than 17". When I was looking for wheels for my car, I searched many, many sites trying to find a wheel that was 16X9" or 17X9" and there is none in the Honda bolt patern. You would need to go to custom wheels, which is big $$$$ or change over to a five lug setup.

I have my suspension setup to run 17X9" wheel in the rear and 17X8" wheel in the front. I needed to install coilovers front and back. I had to use a 8" spring in the rear to keep the spring perch above the wheel for added clearence. This was all done to be able to stuff 17X9" wheel under unflared fenders. I wanted the body to be left looking unaltered.

I went with the Honda adaptors and some cheap Honda 17X7" wheels to get my car on the road and just drive it. After my engine swap is done, I'll pony up for some custom wheels that I originally setup my suspension for.

I suggest you talk to Ross C. from Modern Motorsports (the link you provided). He is VERY helpfull. Just tell him what you plan to do with your car and he will help you out.

!M!

• 4 weeks later...
they are 17x9, +23mm offset on z31 hubs.

Hello!!

Did you change the lug nut pattern on your z car? Also, I noticed you said they are +23 offset, do you know what the actual rear backspacing is? I am currently shopping for rims is the reason I ask. Since you have already made a working combo, its great not to do the trial and error myself.

Thanks in advance.

Guest ON3GO

blah who needs powersteering!!! i have 255's up front with short steering knuckles and no power steerings...

but i must say ur car is coming out very nice! and 255's will look very nice up front!!

mike

Yeah, power steering would be cool but not worth it for me. I have 17x9.5 on 245s all around under ZG flares. Z31 hubs and spacers for Toyo 4x4 calipers on the fronts, spacers in the rear. Fender lips have been rolled tho.

Owen