HybridZ

Pictures of side marker mod...

utvolman99

Okay, I dropped by Autozone and bought some of the little stick on lights that are designed to tint the color of your headlights. These fit nice behind the pillar badges on the rear. I will have to tack a small flat plate inside the badge cup for a better mounting surface.

BadgeLight1.jpg

BadgeLight2.jpg

Guest 240hybrid

Thats pretty slick....I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before....or have they?? Just curious, what are the total cost for this modification? Way to think outside the box.

Chase

Thats pretty slick....I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before....or have they?? Just curious' date=' what are the total cost for this modification? Way to think outside the box.

Chase[/quote']

Well, as you can see if you look close to the pic I have yet to wire the light. (The wire is coming out the side of the badge. My car is a few months from hitting the road so I have time. As far as cost the only cost involved is the cost of the lights. They were $9.99 for the pair at Autozone. They are designed to stick to the outside of the car so they are weatherproof. I am still going to tack a small flat peice of sheet metal (maybe 1/4" x 1") into the cup to give the light a good surface to mount. I may end up putting two of the LEDs in each cup to make it a little brighter. If I do that the total cost will be around $20.

By the way, I'm a mechanical engineer my boss tells me all the time that I'm paid to think outside of the box! :D

Guest iskone

I was thinking about that yesterday and thought it would be better IMO, if instead of putting a light behind the badge you put the badge/light behind the front wheel and in between the door.

Or better yet if you could some how get the 350Z "Z" logo stenciled on a light and then use that as a side marker.

I was thinking about that yesterday and thought it would be better IMO' date=' if instead of putting a light behind the badge you put the badge/light behind the front wheel and in between the door.

Or better yet if you could some how get the 350Z "Z" logo stenciled on a light and then use that as a side marker.[/quote']

Yeah, I had thought of that also but there are several things that stopped me.

1. That is more cutting than I want to do.

2. I really want to keep the vent that is on the inside of the piller cup and two Z badges on the side of the car might be too much.

3. I think a simple flush mounted marker between the door and the wheel well would look pretty sharp (Not as sharp as the Z badge though) but I really don't have an alternative for the rear.

It is something to think about though. I wounder how important those vents behind the badges are?

Also, speaking of the 350Z I will be ordering one of these for my hood!

Z33EM-2003.jpg

Guest iskone

Just think of how sick it would look if all the black in the "Z" emblem was red and then light up.

I'm gonna look at ways to do it, but I don't trust my self with a dremel.

Also I was thinking of the complete circle emblem.

If you wanted the black part to be red, that seems easier than cutting the Z out. But then you'd have to find a way to support the Z. Maybe get some plexiglass, glue the Z onto it and then glue the whole thing to the outer edge of the original emblem?

Owen

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I may end up putting two of the LEDs in each cup to make it a little brighter. If I do that the total cost will be around $20.

Are you talking $10 for the cost of LEDs? I have a source for ultrabright LEDs with resistors to allow use in a 12volt system and they come out to about $1 each. (I bought a bunch in bulk) If you want a couple, awe heck, you can have them, I'd like to see how that looks. If you want more than 2 then I can give them to you for $1 each.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
Just think of how sick it would look if all the black in the "Z" emblem was red and then light up.

I'm actually planning on making some emblems like this, I have a whole bunch of ultrabright LEDs to play with. I was also thinking of making an emblem where the Z glows and the outside is solid. That is a design that I was planning to use to make a 3rd brakelight.