HybridZ

Autometer 5" Speedo Install

GAZRNR

I am installing Auto Meter Phantom series 5 in Speedometer & Tachometer in my 78Z. I removed the stock units and test fit the new units. The fit in the bore is snug but there is nothing for the bezel to secure against. The units can slide all the way thru the bore so the brackets will do no good holding the gauges in place

How have others using these gauges solved this problem?

Thanks,

Rusty

I used PVC. I happenned to have a little section of 4" dia. I cut a tiny slice off (1/4"), then I cut out a slot (to make it a "C"). I painted it black (but you can't see it anyway). I drilled 4 countersunk holes in it, then glued it in place and attached it with screws. So now I have a lip for the guage to seat against.

Thanks to everyone for the input. There are a couple of different ways to go with this that I had not considered.

Mike, using your method to secure the gauges have you had any problems with the gauges moving or shifing positions? I was thinking about your method with a small strip of double sided tape to maintain alignment.

Rusty

Thanks to everyone for the input. There are a couple of different ways to go with this that I had not considered.

Mike' date=' using your method to secure the gauges have you had any problems with the gauges moving or shifing positions? I was thinking about your method with a small strip of double sided tape to maintain alignment.

Rusty[/quote']

They haven't budged! Even drag racing.

• 5 months later...

Mike' date=' using your method to secure the gauges have you had any problems with the gauges moving or shifing positions? I was thinking about your method with a small strip of double sided tape to maintain alignment.

Rusty[/quote']

Hey Mike, did you mount all your auto meter gauges the same way?

Rusty[/quote']

Hey Mike, did you mount all your auto meter gauges the same way?

Only the tach, and speedo. For the small gauges, I cut off the bottom of the stock gauges, and trimed them so the new autometer gauges fit inside of them, that way I could use the stock hold downs.