HybridZ

UPS just bent me over!!

zeeboost

I recently sold a pair of louvers on eBay for $71. I set up shipping with UPS that was supposed to be for about $25. Sounds like a fair price to me -- the louvers are only 36" x 38", and they barely fit into the box. So, I have the louvers delivered to the buyer and the transaction went smoothly.

Just yesterday I recieved an e-mail from UPS. I open it up, and it seems as if they've charged me an extra $87!! I look to see why, and they said the box weighed 90 lbs. (bs) and that the box's length and girth exceeded 130" (which it didn't, but even if it did, they should've told me they were going to charge me that much when I gave them the dimensions of the box). :emo: Then, to top everything off, they tell me that I don't need to worry about paying the bill, because they've already charged it on my credit card.. :cuss:

I can't charge the buyer that extra amount for shipping, because a) it's not his fault, and B) he already did everything he was supposed to -- so his part is over. This also means that I have acutually lost money on the deal!

:fmad: Does anybody have any advice or suggestion of what to do before I call them tonight and tear 'em a new one!?! :fmad:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Yep, they cannot charge you an amount different than you agreed to pay. That is why receipts always say "I authorize the charge in the amount of..." Good luck, and as Duke Nukem would say, "Rip 'em a new one!"

First off, let me say that the charges you incurred are clearly spelled out on their website...after you dig through pages of crap and conflicting information, that is. I say, dispute the charge to your credit card IMMEDIATELY. Don't wait on this one.

Secondly, you have to remember that UPS rounds UP on length, width, and depth when determining the length+girth measurement. You can easily add 2 1/2" to your package because of this, and end up incurring outrageous upcharges. The absolute best way around this is to drop off the package at the UPS store. They're usually far more lax than the website, and my personal experience is that once they have it behind the counter and you have a receipt in hand, it's their baby. Any mistakes are theirs and theirs alone.

One of my customers ships cotton candy all over the US. Guess what? His packaging is *just* oversize - by 1/2". UPS was going to charge him $90 to ship 10 cents worth of sugar and air. By talking to his UPS representative, they hammered out a deal whereby he ships lots of boxes at a very reduced rate. The UPS reps can be pretty understanding, if you deal with the right one.

Good luck.

Scott

Guest steveo

i hear ya, DOWN WITH THE BROWN!

try getting something shipped to canada from the states, ITS MURDER!

they charged me 80 dollars in serivce and boarder charges. USPS and canada post don't so why do UPS and FedEx do it.

You can try involving your credit card company, but from past experience I don't think they will be much help. Most cards won't get in the middle of a price dispute, only completely unauthorized charges. But don't believe me, see what they say.

What I can't figure out is how did you get out of the shipping store with the wrong price? If you had known the true shipping cost, you most certainly would have made other arrangements. So once they accepted it, like someone said, it should be their problem.

Thanks for the replies...I called UPS to try and resolve the matter, but it only made things worse. All the rep did was just repeat what their e-mail said they were charging me for, and kept reminding me that their was nothing they could do about it. Then when I asked how they could charge it on my credit card without my consent, she answered, "Since you used the credit card to pay the initial charge, we had your authorization to make adjustments." That's total BS! I never even used my credit card in the first place. I had a $95 dollar Paypal balance from the buyer's payment, and I just had the charge deducted from that balance.

Sorry to rant like this, I'm just mad at them right now. I've never had a billing dispute like this one, so I'm not really sure what else I can do. It looks like my only option is to grab my ankles, unless any of you have any suggestions.

Dispute the charges and let Visa/Mastercard decide who is right. The dispute form is on the back of your cc statement. Just fill it out and mail it in.

I think you can make a case against UPS on this one despite the fact that you authorized a nebulous amount. Your expectation was certainly lower than the actual charges!!!

Jon

Well, finally something worked out -- I guess it really all depends on which representative you talk to. I called back once again last night, and after roughly ten minutes of discussion and explaining my case, I was able to recieve $70.55 credit to the $87 charge they sent me. Of course, they said it would take 2-3 business days, so I'm still holding my breath :oops:

If the credit ends up going through, I shall continue to do business with them. I suppose in the future I will just drop off the package at their store instead of having the local guy come and pick it up from the house.

At least I still made money on the deal, so I do feel better about this. Thanks guys for cheering me up. :2thumbs:

i hear ya' date=' DOWN WITH THE BROWN!

try getting something shipped to canada from the states, ITS MURDER!

they charged me 80 dollars in serivce and boarder charges. USPS and canada post don't so why do UPS and FedEx do it.[/quote']

I just shipped something to Canada, USPS is the only way to go...no tracking # though.

Still I say

DOWN WITH THE BROWN! :cuss:

i'm not siding with UPS on your circumstances, but i understand their position. I work as a loader (the semi's) and we're technically only supposed to see boxes up to 150lbs. well, working there 3 years i've gotten a pretty good sense of weight, and some of the crap we get is no where near 150lbs. so they've instituted a new policy where anything that is oversized or overweight (70+) gets remeseaured or reweighed at the hub. I saw one box get weighed personally because i called my supervisor over and complained (after dealing with 2 other identical boxes) that there was no way the box in question weighed 95lbs like the label said. well he got a little portable scale and tossed the box on it and hey...170lbs! so i have a feeling UPS finally realized how much they were getting screwed by businesses that ship UPS and underestimate weight and size to pay less for shipping, or to ship through us at all in regard to boxes over 150lbs.

now like i said, i'm not siding with them in your case, i don't get paid enough to do that lol. but i thought i'd toss out the opposing view to maybe do some enlightening, and make you feel better that you're not the only one they're rechecking.

Patrick.