HybridZ

Tension Rod snapped...

My right front tension rod snapped two weeks ago. Still looking for a replacement. MSA is out (damn having a 280ZX), Nissan no longer makes it, VB doesn't even list it. My dad works at a dealer...tried to see if anyone had it listed on the dealer net. Guy in MA was listed...we call...they destroyed the part. So much for finding a stock replacement.

Now, I've been searching around and see that many people have gone with the G Machines setup. I already have urethane bushings and what not, but that doesn't matter...I just want my car back on the road. I saw the kit in the VB catalog, but the picture doesn't show the actual tension rod. Does this kit include the actual rod? I just need a right front tension rod :( Thanks guys.

You probably already saw this in the search :

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=207618&highlight=#207618

there is a very long discussion on the topic.

The G machine set up does not come with the T/C rod, you need tog et them from the junyard. Since one failed, the other one is probably fatigued, so replace BOTH (from a car using stock bushings), it takes very little work to replace.

The urethane bushings are the primary cause of the failure. Use the stock bushing on the other side of the G machine set up. It's working great for me.

In the post Afshin mentioned, it was said to use urethane on the inside bushing and rubber on the end. I just recently replaced my end bushing with stock rubber and the urethane bushing now has about 15-20 3/16" holes to allow better movement of the T/C rod. I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but I was actually able to tell a difference in handling from before to what I did now.

!M!

That is a scary thought. If the urethane bushings are bad, how bad woulf me "heat-hardened, dried-out" bushings be? I mean all thew bushings on my car are like really hard from being old & car comes fr4om Fla.

I better cchange out my T/C bushings...

I like the g-machine/rubber bushing combo. The g-machine bushings allow for articulation of the TC rod, and don't deflect under braking, while the rubber on the other side does a decent job in that particular setup. The real problem with the urethane setup is that the TC rod has bending moments applied due to the lack of ability of the urethane bushings to allow the TC rod to move up and down. The g-machine solution adresses that nicely.

Gee, I hope that if somebody does find a replacement for the old T/C rodsthat they will chime in here and tell us all. I think they will. Even the purist guys will need the info, since T/C rods will be getting as scarce as hens boobs (can I say hens boobs )? :lol:

I get a little nervous every time I hit a bump on the highway and the front end 'crashes'.

Is there a link for th G-machine T/C bushings?

thx

I didnt find any links or web addresses for G-Machine as a company. They are a pretty big vendor for VB though, seeing how they have a lot of G-Machine parts.

Back to the tension rod, and what TomoHawk has iterated. Finding one in a local junkyard may be a problem for me, not many Z's in my area. If someone has connections to a junkyard in their area and could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated (I'd pay you for your time). But if theres a company out there or shop or someone who still makes the part, it'd also be a better route. Thanks again for everyone's time. I'm beginning to miss my Z :(

I don't see what's so hard about making a T/C rod, it's basically just a hockey stick with threads on one end and two holes on the other. And a flange or two. Maybe we have a machinist here who could suggest a bulk price on some.

thx

i found one in the junkyard up here. it would probably cost me about ...$7 for the part. i'm not sure what it would cost in shipping though. i could probably pull it tomorrow, looks to be about a 20 minute job. i'll pull it and try to get you a shipping cost by tomorrow night if you want. all the parts have a 90 warranty so even if you found another closer i could always return it.

Chances of one breaking are relatively low if it wasn't exposed to the poly bushings for a long period of time. I've never heard of one breaking on a stock bushing vehicle.

You could always shot peen the new one it if you're really worried. Adjustability is nice, and was worth it for me, but it may be overkill for a lot of people.

Jon

I have the rubber bushings! the original ones- all nice and dried-out-hard by now, no? :( That's what bothers me too. I'll be putting in some new rubber ones with the new control arm bushings. Urethane is OK for those right?

Also, I thought the T/C rods only break ifyour car is lowered? Mine is still at the stock height, but I wanna lower someday. Need money for bodywork &

springs.

thx.