HybridZ

LT1 in-line fuel pump options

LT1 (and LS1) guys please chime in here.

I have the MSD pump fueling the LT1. It appears to be doing the job, but is getting louder and louder. I can now hear the thing over the exhaust!!

msd-2225.jpg

What are you guys using? and how quiet/loud are they?

I seem to remember reading that many were using the Walbro? How is it, which model #, and where is the best place to get it?

Thanks,

Tim

I'm using a pump that looks identical to that. It came with my Pro-Flo EFI. Mine is very quiet, I don't hear it at all. Do you have a filter at the inlet? When I first installed it, I didn't have a filter at the inlet, only after. It started to get quit noisy, and then died. This was after about 30 miles of driving. When I replaced it I installed an inline filter before it and has been running quietly ever since.

Mike,

I have a high flow filter before the pump (its basically just a screen). I can clearly hear the pump changing 'tones' as I drive. I can hear it change 'note' when I brake, when I accellerate etc....it's really loud!!

I called MSD tech line and the guy said that they are loud and that I should try to isolate it some more. I'm just a little worried about this pump because it was so inexpensive (~$80).

Tim

Guest ls1z4me

I got a off the shelf pump for the parts store. I just looked in the book they had till I found one that was 150 gph, and 90 psi max and external.

It was a walbro brand I think.

Works great for about 3 years now and very quite.

Well....I looked up the specs on the MSD pump and it is only rated at 43 gal/hr at 12 volts. That converts to 162.792 liters per hour at 12 volts. The LT1 (from what I can find on the net) is oem at 190lph.

Looking at the flow chart, at 13.5 volts, the MSD pump is just barely making the 190lph mark, so it appears to be maxed out at the minimum requirement.

I think my next move will be to pick up a Walbro 255lph pump, which appears to be the standard 'upgrade' to the F-body crowd.

I have already picked up a set of Accel 30lb injectors to replace the old (and in my honest opinion) worn out stock 26lb injectors.

We'll see what happens! I want to change one thing at a time so I can know what the problem actually was. I will start with the fuel pump.

Either way I'll put on the new injectors...just for piece of mind.....

Tim

Did you bolt it with those straps straight to the frame or body? I used some small rubber o-rings ( can't remember the name of them, those rubber o's that you place in a hole so you don't damage wires going through metal) between the hold down straps and mounting place. Like I said it's very quiet.

I bought one today. Walbro GSL392 255lph inline pump from an Ebay vendor for $124.00 shipped. http://www.mmotorsports.com/

I got my pump from them and it did not come with fittings. I ended up

buying AN fittings from http://www.fuel-pumps.net/500.html .

It's hard to believe that little thing flow as much fuel as they say.

:cheers:

Don

• 1 year later...

i just bought a 255 inline as well on ebay, $119 shiped with barbed fittings, but i will probably be using 6an fittings for the lines..now gotta get the lines and fittings.

What size line should i run for the feed/return ? Its gonna be an lt1 with heads and cams and probably 30lb injectors

Can we put an style fittings on the ends of this pump? What kind of thread sizes are each side? Hopefuly the same and hopefully big enough

I used my stock lines' date=' but I found this article the other day. It claims that the return line should be the same size or larger than the feed line. Anyone care to comment on this?

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/56398/index2.html

In theory I would agree with the above....however, every OEM application that I have seen has the return line smaller than the feed, including the OEM Z28 LT1 application. I based my decision on line size using the OEM as my base.

I have that same pump on and LT1 and it was hellish loud with the stock lines at idle, but it got a little quiter as the engine consumed more gas at speed.

I installed an6 lines for the feed and return, it is now almost completly quiet except at idle when there is still a little noise but now you have to listen for it.

I have to assume that the return line was too small when the engine was not taking most of the fuel and the regulator couldn't dump the pressure fast enough, hence the pump was working hard, the car ran fine though.

I also mounted mine on grommets like those shown above.

Installing the larger lines is easy, just carefully drill out the stock line bushings and mount the new lines.

Mike

A few comments on in-line pump noise.

I know NHRA limits the length of rubber hose in the system, but adding some rubber (not stiff braided) to both the inlet and outlet will help isolate the noise as well. Rubber mounts help, but if you hook hard lines directly or with short rubber hose to the pump, it will cause noise to transmit to the unibody, especially if you tie down the hard line rigidly.

Also, get the pump as LOW as you can below the tank bottom (while still being safe). It will pump better (especially with a low level of fuel) and it will be less noisy!

I have the MSD pump as well. I have it mounted in the same spot as my old stock fuel pump(1980 280ZX. However I put a few layers of rubber hosing around the pump to dampen the noise some. I also have rubber line running from the pump to the tank and to the supply line(like Pete suggested). Mine isnt really all that loud. The only time I can hear it is when I turn the key on before I start it.

fuel_pump_installed.jpg

Guy