HybridZ

Anyone Running 18's???

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JMHO: 18 = POINTLESS on a Z. Ok.. might look cool.. but a 15 or 16 is all I'd run on mine. I dono... maybe it's just the whole "Bling bling, gota have big rims" rice thing that bugs me about it..

i think anything under 17" is ugly. I dont see how 18" rims are rice. I personnaly like to see large rims and very little rubber. To me, bigger rims just set the car off. But thats my opinion. It may hurt performance and give a shittier ride, but i love how it looks. I dont like the "Rice" look either, but i hate how people label anything that they dont like as rice. "Hey, you put projector lights on an old car...ohhhhh, thats rice" :roll: I think everyone should just appreciate the time and effor that some one put into their car weather it is rice or not. We all do this for the same reason...the love of our car. Thus, we should support eachother with whatever that person may choose to do to their car.

JMHO: 18 = POINTLESS on a Z. Ok.. might look cool.. but a 15 or 16 is all I'd run on mine. I dono... maybe it's just the whole "Bling bling' date=' gota have big rims" rice thing that bugs me about it..[/quote']

i think anything under 17" is ugly. I dont see how 18" rims are rice. I personnaly like to see large rims and very little rubber. To me, bigger rims just set the car off. But thats my opinion. It may hurt performance and give a shittier ride, but i love how it looks. I dont like the "Rice" look either, but i hate how people label anything that they dont like as rice. "Hey, you put projector lights on an old car...ohhhhh, thats rice" :roll:

I don't want to get in the middle of this, and I have no real opinion on the wheels....whatever floats your boat, but: I think you just gave a very succinct definition of what "rice" actually is!!

JMHO: 18 = POINTLESS on a Z. Ok.. might look cool.. but a 15 or 16 is all I'd run on mine. I dono... maybe it's just the whole "Bling bling' date=' gota have big rims" rice thing that bugs me about it..[/quote']

i think anything under 17" is ugly. I dont see how 18" rims are rice. I personnaly like to see large rims and very little rubber. To me' date=' bigger rims just set the car off. But thats my opinion.[i'] It may hurt performance and give a shittier ride, but i love how it looks[/i]. I dont like the "Rice" look either, but i hate how people label anything that they dont like as rice. "Hey, you put projector lights on an old car...ohhhhh, thats rice" :roll:

I don't want to get in the middle of this, and I have no real opinion on the wheels....whatever floats your boat, but: I think you just gave a very succinct definition of what "rice" actually is!!

but not everyone has a car to be a race car. Some just do it for the fact that they like ther car...like me. Oh well, call me a ricer, but my car will still spank most mustangs and camaros on the road :-D

i think anything under 17" is ugly. I dont see how 18" rims are rice. I personnaly like to see large rims and very little rubber. To me, bigger rims just set the car off. But thats my opinion. It may hurt performance and give a shittier ride, but i love how it looks. I dont like the "Rice" look either, but i hate how people label anything that they dont like as rice. "Hey, you put projector lights on an old car...ohhhhh, thats rice" :roll: I think everyone should just appreciate the time and effor that some one put into their car weather it is rice or not. We all do this for the same reason...the love of our car. Thus, we should support eachother with whatever that person may choose to do to their car.

lol, i just read that, and it does sound pretty bad. im still gonn go with no less than 17's

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I think it is funny when people mention 17's and 18's in the same sentence as mentioning riding low or low ground clearance. You can have a very low profile look, and low ground clearance with 16's or even 15's on most cars. Think about it, adding 2" to your wheel diameter is forcing you to have the car another inch higher, then, you have to have the body sitting higher over the wheels to allow suspension travel. When you see all of these bling bling cars and *gag* SUVs and *barf* trucks with huge rims, they are barely functional. I saw a car the other day with 20's on it, and that thing had to slow down to literally less than 5 MPH to turn right at an intersection. Fortunately for him, he probably understands a tiny bit about physics and knows that the force on the center of the wheel increases as the diameter increases, or maybe he just had a friend that busted his "dubs" turning at speed. :roll:

I think it is funny when people mention 17's and 18's in the same sentence as mentioning riding low or low ground clearance. You can have a very low profile look, and low ground clearance with 16's or even 15's on most cars. Think about it, adding 2" to your wheel diameter is forcing you to have the car another inch higher, then, you have to have the body sitting higher over the wheels to allow suspension travel. When you see all of these bling bling cars and *gag* SUVs and *barf* trucks with huge rims, they are barely functional. I saw a car the other day with 20's on it, and that thing had to slow down to literally less than 5 MPH to turn right at an intersection. Fortunately for him, he probably understands a tiny bit about physics and knows that the force on the center of the wheel increases as the diameter increases, or maybe he just had a friend that busted his "dubs" turning at speed. :roll:

15's and 16's are too small. they look tiny when they have low profile rubber.Id gladly take a SLIGHT loss of drivability for a set of 18's, but i will most likely go with a set of 17's.

it's all a matter of preference. what looks good to me looks heinous to others and vice-versa. everybody has a different vision for their cars, and most will use them differently as well. i'm going with 17's because i've seen others with the same size and i love the look while at the same time realizing that they'll still handle great and if i want a smooth ride i'll drive my factory 15'd saab 9000. i wouldn't personally go any bigger but i couldn't fault anyone for wanting to. i see the benefits of not going excessive but those benefits might not mean much to someone whose first thought is the aesthetic perspective.

diff'rent strokes.... :D

TomsCoupe

i guess i call it that because i am putting it back together and not driving it yet :? .

datsunlover

ehhh well if you think that my car is rice bucket because i have 18's thats ok i guess everyone has right to express their opinion. you said that you "would" go with 15's or 16's on your car so that tells me that you have neither so i guess that you have 14's on there now right? i just wonder did you ever drive Z with 18's, 17's, or 16's? do you have experince behind the wheel with all three of them so that way you can classiffy sp which one is rice and which one is not? and on other hand what is so "bling bling, gotta have big rims" about 18 inch tsw $140 wheel that is not even cromed or polished? i guess that i just like to stand out in something with my Z and those wheels do get some very nice comments and none of them has been about "how rice they are". btw are my 245-40's gonna be labeled as rice too?

This is the way i see it. If you have 15's and want your car to be nice and low (no fender gap) you will have to lower it down quite a bit and by that time your front air dame will be touching ground almost the same with 16's. the reason why i went with 18's is because i wanted to lower my car (but not too much) fill all the fender gap so now car "looks very low" but actually its only about 2inches lower than stock. ride is great, it handells great, does't bottom out so what else can i ask for? this is not road race car or drag car but just plain all around street car.

I apologize about long rant but i just wanted to say how i felt about my car being called rice :D .

Ivan

TomsCoupe

i guess i call it that because i am putting it back together and not driving it yet :? .

datsunlover

ehhh well if you think that my car is rice bucket because i have 18's thats ok i guess everyone has right to express their opinion. you said that you "would" go with 15's or 16's on your car so that tells me that you have neither so i guess that you have 14's on there now right? i just wonder did you ever drive Z with 18's' date=' 17's, or 16's? do you have experince behind the wheel with all three of them so that way you can classiffy sp which one is rice and which one is not? and on other hand what is so "bling bling, gotta have big rims" about 18 inch tsw $140 wheel that is not even cromed or polished? i guess that i just like to stand out in something with my Z and those wheels do get some very nice comments and none of them has been about "how rice they are". btw are my 245-40's gonna be labeled as rice too?

This is the way i see it. If you have 15's and want your car to be nice and low (no fender gap) you will have to lower it down quite a bit and by that time your front air dame will be touching ground almost the same with 16's. the reason why i went with 18's is because i wanted to lower my car (but not too much) fill all the fender gap so now car "looks very low" but actually its only about 2inches lower than stock. ride is great, it handells great, does't bottom out so what else can i ask for? this is not road race car or drag car but just plain all around street car.

I apologize about long rant but i just wanted to say how i felt about my car being called rice :D .

Ivan[/quote']

Well said