HybridZ

Are you happy with your hybrid?

I 've been checking out the site from time to time. I've got two 74 260Zs. One is getting a stock 280 engine with the round top carbs and on one I am planning to install a mild 350. My goal is to have a nice , easy driving Z car that my wife could drive. She already said she didn't want a manual shift.(not sure she even wants a Z) I am thinking of using the 200r4 tranny since it's about the same size as a 350 and the rear end will remain stock. I've ordered the JTR manual but still haven't seen it.

Two questions:

1. Does this sound like an okay combination for long distance cruiser?

2. Does everyone like the handling, stopping, reliability, etc of their chevy hybrid.

Sometimes I have second thoughts and I think of going turbo. (Turbo Chevy anyone?)

Louie

Guest Anonymous

I have heard that a mild SBC with automatic transmission overdrive can get over 20 miles to the gallon.Your wife may not apreciate that the early Z has no power assisted steering (which can be added) IMHO :every renagade here loves their hybrid Z

How is the steering without power steering? I don't remember it being too bad with the original L six but will the added weight make it that much harder. The Z we're building with the 280Z engine has a smaller aftermarket steering wheel and it's a little stiff but not to rough for me. The other one has the original wheel. My wife used to drive a stock 73 Z without any problems.

How much more difficult is the 700r transmission installation? Is all this covered in the JTR manual?

Thanks for your replies so far. Louie.

Originally posted by Louie:

She already said she didn't want a manual shift.(not sure she even wants a Z)

How long have you been married? When women say something like "I'm not sure I want a Z", they usually mean "There's no way I'm ever driving a little death bomb like that again. I want a Lexus!"

Just a thought... ;)

Guest JAMIE T

LOL, my wife WILL NOT drive my Z. she refuses. But then again she drives a 12 second 94 Z28 everyday. Its got all the good stuff, 6spd, A/C, Cruise control, T-tops, blah, blah, blah. Why would she want to drive the little ol' Datsun.

My wife LOVES her Mustang... However, the car we picked up for Ron Jones last year is still her favorit... I've been told that if I get her a clean all original FI Zcar, I can have the Mustang. Did I mention I love my wife?

Mike

Guest JAMIE T

Hey Mike, maybe our Wives can take'em to the strip hail.gif . Chicks that race are awesome. My wife is scared to take to the track, as she is afraid someone will see her "mess up" LOL

Guest Anonymous

My boyfriend has a 406 in his 76 280Z, and i havent had any problems driving it without power steering, but he has stock steering wheel. As to the racing thing, he got me my own 302/T5 pinto to race so id leave his Z in the yard! lol

I don't get to see mine very often, but when I do:

I like to walk beside her, rubbing my hands along her smooth curves. hail.gif Then I will give her a hug and kiss and just sit with her for a while before pulling the key out of my pocket.

She loves the tease, like forplay before you get into the action. Then I really get the engine going and she purrs back at me, begging me to spin her around a few times.

The lack of power steering allows things to get a little rough, just the way we like it. After a nice warmup, we are ready to go, like we were born together. Sometimes when things get really heated and we are in the midst of battle, she makes me all sweaty all over and I feel cringes of excitement.

One word of advice: don't insult my lady, for she is a sleeping giant, a wolf in baby sheep's clothing, ready to strike. Beware, she WILL correct any insults received.

flamedevil.gif That is all. :D

It seems like everyone's happy with the Z-8s. I guess I'll continue leaning towards the V-8. I hope the manual gets here soon. I need to start looking for a tranny.

Any opinions on the 200r4 over the 700r. Remember this will be cruiser with AC, not a strip monster.

Louie.

I love mine, but I want MORE POWER! (Well, there are an extra 75 cubic inches in the works right now!)

I had mine parked in front of a speed shop in a strip mall today. Some guy comes in the store and asks about the car. He liked it so much and talked about it so much I thought he was going to have a heart attack!

On the way home, I just had to test out the performance with the new HEI rotor. Wow, at least 25 hp was found!

Yeah, I love it!

Those of us who like to go fast put as much tire under the car as will fit. A daily driver does't need huge tires, and even with a V8 the car only weights around 2700 LB's. If you will use stock size tires she will be much happier with the way the steering feels. I think the 200r4 will work fine with a mild 350. But make no mistake, that car will still be very fast. If she likes the Z she'll love a v8 Z! :rolleyes: