HybridZ

My Backhalfed 71 240z

Guest TJ240z

Looks great. :-D:-D

For a minute I thought I was looking at my 72 Z. I'm using the 14.5 / 15 Quick-Time Pro Hoosiers. Is that what you have? Even the Ford rearend and coilovers look like mine. I will be looking forward to further pics as your project advances. I'm impressed.

Hanns

Good job. Something to think about if you ever change out the rear end. Next time go with a shorter rear end housing. Use less backspacing on the rear wheels, makes the axels shorter and lighter. The real good thing about less backspacing other than the weight savings is it makes it much easier removing the rear tires. I used a 15 X 14 on my old back halfed Z and the wheel had a 6 1/2" backspacing, it was no fun removing them. The new Z has 3 1/2' backspacing and long travel shocks. Makes it a pleasure to remove the rears rather then a chore.

Guest TJ240z

thats a good suggestion Japtin, alothough i dont find it that hard to remove the tires, i still have a couple inches for more tire in there, my tires are 28 x 10.5, and that is all custom work, its all carpeted now and im not ready to release the engine info yet lol

Great job.

I have been on the fence to do mine. Your pics seem to have convinced me. I run 1.64 60 foots, and if i juice i break axles (small 383 234/244 1.94/1.6 valves 10.5 : 1 r 200 4.11). I wanted to put my real motor in which will drop my 7.53 1/8 quite a bit but to do so I need to make the leap to real rear end.

What kind of dollars did the setup run if you don't mind saying? I'm thinking of ladder bars and not going all the way to 4 link to reduce cost some. Is that penny wise dollar foolish?

Thanks

PS I will be running a 383 with prolly 10-12 lbs boost

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Slow_Stang_331

What does a setup like that cost when all said and done???

I've been seriously considering selling my Mustang and buying a 240z and swapping all my stuff over (carbed 331, goes mid-low 10's in a 3200lb Mustang so I'd imagine a mid-high 9 in a light 240z with traction.)

Let me know. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I took mine to a fabricator for a backhalve. Mine is going to cost 7K +/- 100 or so. its getting all new frame from the engine bay back, a full 12 point chromoly cage thru the firewall tieing all the struts together, removable trans tunnel, 2 speed powerglide, trans brake, neil chance rebuildable converter, ford 8.8 with 33 spline axles, billet caps, willwood brakes, aluminum diff cover. adjustable shocks, 4 link, ect ect. hoping to be done by the end of july... wishfull thinking. here is what mine looks like right now

normal_DSC00049.JPG

Beautiful work, TJ240Z!!! Nothing like one done right! I'm not sure I would get too concerned about more tire. I know of many 10.5 outlaw street cars running high 4's in the 1/8th. Many more run low 5's and they are probably heavier than yours, so the traction is there if you set it up right. Again, superb job!!!

Wayne