HybridZ

What would you buy?

I'm looking at 2 different carbs if I cant figure out the one I have (see my post in the carbie section) I'm thinking about the Edelbrock EDL 1413 EPS 800CFM and the Holley 80670 Street avenger 670 CFM The engine is a daily driven 350 with a stock, cam flat tops, and 468642 heads. I will be installing a cam soon and swapping a set of double hump 327 heads. the car weighs about 2250lbs and has a 700r4 and 4:10 gears and short tyres Please help!!! Keith

Guest silverbullet

Hello 383 240z, you must either be working or have a bad case of insomnia weird.gif , I am at work myself. As to your question, I am no expert but if those are your choices I would go with the street avenger, I never have liked Quadrajets for making power and with your upcoming upgrades it sounds like that is what you are trying to do, from what I gather from some of the other members you might even want to go with a Holley 650 or 750 double pumper, they claim that because of the light weight of the Z vaccum secondaries are not nearly as responsive, I am sure you will get some better advice from some of the more experienced members later, good luck :D

Keith,

If you're not worried about economy, Holley double pumper is the way to go. Have one on my 71 Cheyenne and love it (750 double pumper). Although I have no experience with them, the new Edelbrock carbies are supposedly very nice and easy to tune.

HTH,

Tim

ps...nothing wrong with Q-jets. If set up right, they will perform with the rest.

Nice to see we were able to sway Pete... burnout.gif IMO, the double pumper produces more torque at low engine speeds at the tires. If it was my money, I would run a Holley Classic 750 double pumper. A 650 or 700 would probably make as much power, but the 750 is the carb of choice to modify and if you ever need more is the place to start. I ran a 700dp on my 355 for a number of years, and when it started having flooding problems (either a warped metering block or main body) I stepped up to a Barry Grant Stage III 750. (Removed choke tower, polished venturis, 4 corner idle, milled throttle shafts, 1040 cfm.) This was pre Demon days and about $650. My car was no faster. At all. But it did idle better and start REALLY easy, so I obviously didn't need the added airflow. Since they max flow through the existing venturi, throttle response is not degraded even though flow capability increases dramatically. Bottom line, is I would buy the 750 classic DP and hook the choke up, jetting and tuning to match your combination. I like having a choke on a car that gets driven quite a bit.

I'm glad i got the right thing from the start smile.gif holley 4150 650cfm doublepumper. As soon as I get the mother tuned and my motor broken in... well, we'll see smile.gif Right now it has a stumble when I get into the accellerator pumps but I'm not really sure if the timing's spot on yet.

Well I went out and picked up a carb today!! Holley model 0-80508S as I read the papers that came with it. The third line reads "This carb is NOT designedfor use with ANY automatic overdrive transmissions. If used on an automatic overdrive vehical, severe transmission damage WILL result." how can this be?? Can anybody explane this I will be checking with Holleyon this. Keith