HybridZ

unofficial hp measurement with MegaSquirt/Gtech

After a couple hours of tuning today with my brother we did some runs at 10psi boost, non-intercooled. This is unofficial because I haven't weighed the car yet, but I guessed 2800lbs with roll cage, and the two of us, plus some tools. Should be pretty close, but I will get a weight and try again later. Anyway it showed 190hp at the wheels, at 6500' altitude. This was averaged over a couple runs. Not bad since it showed 150hp with the stock ECU, stock injectors, stock fuel rail, stock TB, mechanical cooling fan, 225mm stock clutch. All of these have been upgraded now. If I am estimating a little high on the weight it will show more hp, so give or take 10hp now I would say.

I still have timing to mess with and get an actual weight for the car, but it is running realllly good.

Can't stay under 80mph :twisted:

Now we are going out to search for a victim, talk to you later.

Get ye to a gravel scale and confirm your weight!

Good numbers Bryan, I would be curious to see what my similar setup makes nearer sea level.

I have filled the outside refrigerator with Mooseheads, so soon I hope to have JeffP over to do some scope work on the board and power circuits to figure out how to filter out the noise I am experiencing.

My car is a 73 240z, I added the roll cage which weighed about 120lbs itself. T-5 weighed more than the original 4spd. I also added the R200 which weighs more then original R180. The turbo engine weighs more than original. The two of us weigh about 300lbs together. The spare tire is still in and gas tank is full. No AC or heater though. Ok, I have to get to a scale, I may be making more power than that.

Good luck on finding your noise issues. We drove the car around all day yesterday. The megasquirt setup plus the other mods made great improvements in the power/response off the turbo. My brother can't believe it is the same engine.

We're kind of skinny guys :D

The gtech has worked really good for me, worth the $50 I gave for it.

No victims really, just a dodge diesel truck, kind of fun to play with though. I think he wondered why at 100mph we kept backing off a long way then running up again :shock:

Any chance you are coming up to Bandimere?

I still have another month of little things to have the car roadworthy enough to make the trip. But when I do make it up there I will schedule with you so we can finally meet.

Uh, yeah, I just realized that myself, Rufus!

When I did the first Blow-Through Triple Mikuini setup in my 73 while overseas in the USAF, I found that I had more....uh.... "Upper Body Inertia" then most, as I ended up ripping out the front seat mounts! :shock:

Not a calming feeling when you goose it one day and realize your seat is tweaking up on the left side during hard acceleration. "It's making a noise, I should probably look when I get where I'm going..."

Next intersection, young and stupid: RRRRRRIIIP! And back into the hatch I was a-lookin'! "WTF?!?!?!?!"

This is when I decided reinforcing the seat mounting areas or using alternate fastening methods were a GOOD thing! :D

Though some were impressed at how I savaged my seatmounts. :lol:

Guest zigzac

"The megasquirt setup plus the other mods made great improvements in the power/response off the turbo. My brother can't believe it is the same engine. "

I had the exact same results with my megasquirt install. it's amazing how a little control and tuning of the EFI can make such a huge difference. I was very impressed with how much better it ran and the increased throttle response with MS installed.

Guest bastaad525

I want one. Think I'm gonna wait until I find a place that will put it all together and sell it to me complete and ready to go.

Just getting to a point where I dont trust myself with this stuff anymore... but anyways I"m very glad to hear you guys are getting such great results from such a cheap setup... I envy you.