HybridZ

VK45DE + VK56DE = a change of underwear

MrWOT

Be good to make this topic a sticky, there are plenty of VH engines around cheap, all we need is to be able to fit a decent gearbox on the back.

Anyone have any firm knowledge of which strong, preferably, Nissan box would be easiest to adapt?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Roaces

300ZXTT, Im told it even fits in the VH bellhousing if you drill it out for the shifter linkage. It can take 300+ HP no problem. ( I now have a webiste http://www.worldbands.org ) and plan to Get another one just for us VH'ers. I can do the whole shopping cart style thing to for you guys to get parts.

I take it it's the 300Zx autobox you're talking about that fits the VH bellhousing?

Hope not, those engines have their own automatic transmission anyway, its the lack of a manual transmission which is the problem.

i would go with a current m3 power plant, 8000 rpm red line 334 horse 3.2 litre.... :) but if you insist on that much torque i would forget the vvt-i i think it will only cause trouble for you, that stuff is tuned to the engine in so many ways throwing more cubes at it will only throw it off, imho

Guest Roaces

Oh and please sir. Enligten us where you can find a "Current" M3 GTR donor car that we can get this marvelous engine out of. The only affordable M3 engine would be older, and not a GTR engine. Not to mention, these engines dont have VVT-I we here cannot afford a brand new Q45 to rip up for our donor car. If I could afford the 334Hp gtr, I wouldn't gut the engine to Put it in a Z, I would just drive the $115,000 BMW around. I should hope that you realize that we are serious about puttin a Q45 engine in there. You can buy a complete Q45 running for $2000 (I just did), and a Q45 with a blown tranny for.... Friggin dirt. Im not trying to be offensive, but Im not 100% sure how realistic that idea is.

Yeh, bang for buck just about any Japanese engine is preferable to a BMW lump, don't get me started on those over priced ............. :)

Hope the Q45 conversion goes well Roaces, should turn out a beauty.

Guest Battle Pope
Oh and please sir. Enligten us where you can find a "Current" M3 GTR donor car that we can get this marvelous engine out of. The only affordable M3 engine would be older, and not a GTR engine. Not to mention, these engines dont have VVT-I we here cannot afford a brand new Q45 to rip up for our donor car. If I could afford the 334Hp gtr, I wouldn't gut the engine to Put it in a Z, I would just drive the $115,000 BMW around. I should hope that you realize that we are serious about puttin a Q45 engine in there. You can buy a complete Q45 running for $2000 (I just did), and a Q45 with a blown tranny for.... Friggin dirt. Im not trying to be offensive, but Im not 100% sure how realistic that idea is.

I bought my Q45 in good condition for 3k a few weeks ago. It's my daily driver.

And also, almost all Q45 engines have VVT. Mine does. (1992). They removed it in the late '90s for emissions problems, but from '90-'93 and '00 and up I'm sure they did.

Guest Battle Pope

I personally think it has a lot to do with the design of the engine. There's a lot of power to be freed up in there somewhere.

Guest Roaces

I think you are 100% right on that front, Thats what I intend to investigate as well. My geuss from pictures and such is that the Port sizing on the head is somewhere in the region of small to way too small.

The goal with this engine was good power (300hp range) but still decent mileage (22+mpg range). Thats a hard problem to solve, without turbos and other trickery. So here is my theory on what they did. They limited the air intake. By limiting the air intake, you can still get some decent power at lower RPM and good mileage. (You must maintain a certain fuel to air ratio, lots of air means lots of fuel at a minimum to keep your engine from explodiding).

I have seen pictures of the ports on these beasts, it looks like each cylender has 2X, .75sq in or so intake ports into it. that would be .88 square inches. Thems chevy boys like to have port sizes in the region of 2.4-3.0sq in for a worked over head.

I may have mentioned this before, but I am actually getting somewhere with my prototype VH45 performance parts (Part of an intake, hopefully using a Hot wire Sensor instead of a vane type MAF (that should free up good enough hp to be worth the money). I have $$ to start makin some of them for us, but could use a hand in the design if anyone help... I'd appreciate it.

What ECU are you going to use Roaces?

With the MoTec on my present engine MAP, throttle position, water and air temp sensors are used to give outstanding results. The air/fuel ratio is a lot steadier and much more consistent on my engine than the one shown on the dyno sheet linked above by Battle Pope.

Its the only way for performance, reliability and economy IMHO with a transplant engine :)

Guest Roaces

Honestly, I dont know at this point. I want to be able to make any of the custom stuff I do in larger quantities as well, so I would rather not go with the more expensive motec systems and such. I have thought about Simple Digital Systems, or Megasquirt, but I dont think either of them would really fit to well.

I don't really have any experience with stand alone engine management computers. I sure could use a smidge of a suggestion on this one.

Aftermarket ECU's are not hard at all, providing, the dyno man knows what he is doing with that particular ECU. In fact I would go with the recommendation of the dyno man you trust and want to use as to which one, rather than what some bloke on the internet says :)

I have a basic knowledge of auto electrics and was able to instal the hardware and wire it all up. All the diagrams etc are on line. The car then went on the dyno to be started and tuned in one session.

The biggest hit with a quality ECU is the initial cost, from then on there should be nothing more than any ordinary maintenance such as an occasional injector clean if required.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not really had the time to research the V8s that much as we are REALLY busy @ the shop; however, there is talk about a build of the VQ35 motor. As many of you know, the VQ is the new engine of choice for for nissan. It's used in many applications (from truck, sedan, to sports car) AND it's around the same price as buying an SR20DET.

Anyway, the thought of using the VQ40 internals came up for a project we had. We had anticipated that the castings were different, so we contacted several ppl that might know. We talked to Darton about sleeves for the VQ40 and found out that the deck hight is over a .5 inches taller than the VQ35.

The intro got a little too long, but what I'm saying is that even if the 5.6L crank happens to fit in the VH (or the smaller VK), I think that you could be running into many other clearance issues.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

• 4 months later...

back from the dead.

found this on another post

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9361

on a different note: one of the biggest problems with i see with the whole set-up is the design of the intake manifold itself. the runners are almost 22in long. it was designed for torque and is actually more like the older chevy tpi manifolds than the lt1 manifold. longer runner ='s more torque/ shorter runner ='s more hp. i think with a shorter runner length, and by opening up the heads, you could really wake this motor up.

imagine an ls1 with 32 valves.

It may have long runners but it pulls to 7K and has a pretty broad power band for an N/A motor. If that ugly a$$ manifold will fit under my hood I will use it. Just add a big turbo and look out. The Titan obviously has more torque due to displacement but quickly runs out of power up top, looks like a diesel dyno.

VH45

q45dyno8cn.jpg

Titan

titandyno17hq.jpg