HybridZ

More Dyno Numbers for LS1 info shortly...

I'm scheduled to dyno our Stock C5 this afternoon, so I'll have some real world numbers on what my LS1 with minor mods (Borla XR1 exhaust and GMS Cold Air Kit) and 98K miles on it is making. My kid found the place right around the corner (5 minutes tops!) from the house. Stay tuned!

Mike 8)

Just back from the Dyno.. These guys have only had it in for 2 weeks, so god only knows how accurate it was, and the fan they were using was a 22inch fan, kinda weak, but hey...

1st run: 276.54 HP 287.70 FT# TQ

2ndrun: 293.08 HP 301.27 FT# TQ

3rdrun: 296.27 HP 301.76 FT# TQ

Conditions during the runs were 89.54 Degrees F. and 29.54 in-HG, SAE 1.02.

The car and drivetrain have 98,600 Miles and the only mods were the XR1 Borla Exhaust and the GMS cold air kit.

General agreement among all present is that the car should have made about 305HP and about 310#ft. of torque with the right sized fan and less humidity.

I'm very pleased, and it gives me something to provide the owner with when I sell this motor, as well give me a baseline for the new motor we're gonna install. I'm sure swapping in fresh converters will also help BIGTIME! They are on the bench awaiting the swap!

Mike :D

Mike,

The '98 Camaro LS1 in my Z Dyno'd 311 rwhp & 326 lb-ft of torque. Hotter day, K&N cone intake - behind the radiator - and shorty block huggers eventually into a single 2.5" exhaust. I think the key was that the ECU had been edited to 2001/2002 specs. Might want to consider that? Not allowing for wear - you should be able to bump yours up to around 325-330 hp & 340 lb-ft of torque.

Oh I'm not screwing with it... I'm putting the header and exhaust on when I do the motor swap. It's just nice to know what the car is running. If I come across a cheap computer editor, then I'll maybe screw with it, but I suspect I'll have the motor in house and possibly in the car with the next 6 weeks!

Mike :D

Mike,

I hate to ask this, but I too have been looking for some real LS1 basically bone stock dyno numbers.

Would it be too much trouble to ask if you could post the entire dyno numbers including VE% numbers(?), perhaps in 300rpm increments?

I would greatly appreciate it. :D

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I just got back from Tennessee... Was also POPPED by the Tennessee State Police doing 56 in a 35. Fortunately they don't report to Virginia... So I'll pay it and shut up.. :D

As for the dyno Numbers, I'll pull up the sheet and scan in what they gave me. However, Based on what another Dyno Operator (The guy who will be in charge of the LS1 EDIT prgramming for my Vette) told me, These numbers are on par for the actual loss of power transfer based on the LACK of ability to do ACTUAL SAE corrections... That part was very interesting, but according to Jeff, the numbers are scewed by as much as 5-7% with the variables plugged in for elevation and humidity. Apparently the software programing used in the DYNO JET package isn't as accurate as those used in Mustang Dynos... I don't know, but I'm told that my car is more realistically pulling 310-ish at the wheels...

Cost for three runs on the DYNO was $69.00... Not sure what yours will do, but don't be to disappointed if it pulls similar numbers on a bone stock motor... Guys over on Corvetteforum.com are seeing anything from 280-320WHP... So there is your range of expectations... The biggest, and best bang for the buck is buying LS1 Edit software and learning to tweek the PCM after each mod made.

Mike 8)

I just got back from Tennessee... Was also POPPED by the Tennessee State Police doing 56 in a 35. Fortunately they don't report to Virginia... So I'll pay it and shut up.. :D Mike 8)

So we all know that you have plenty of green backs, but supporting another states economy. . . ?

Bring that economy boost back home :D

One of these days their going to get ya. . .

Doug, Had Donna not been with me, I wouldn't have gotten the ticket... Not saying I would have tried to outrun the police because that would set a bad example for the younger set :roll: , but I was less than a mile from my uncles subdivision, the trooper was going in the opposite direction and had to wait for two cars before he turned around, and I slowed down so we wouldn't get pulled in front of the family reunion festivities.

Had she not been in the car with me, I'd have nailed the gas and continued on, turned into the subdivision LONG before he ever could have seen me... Picken's Bridge road is a BLAST to drive, so much so that the cops are patrolling it around the clock now... I hadn't been there in 4 years, so I was unaware they had problems with speeders and fatalities, but apparently it has become a target for their enforcement...

I love that area down there... :D

Mike