HybridZ

GTO engine swap?

has anyone looked into swapping the ls1/t56 from the new pont gto? thought i read the hp is around 350 and didn't know whether the hp bump was from factory mods to the engine or computer enhancements. figured if i found a wreck that it might be a candidate for my swap.

thoughts?

I suspect that a new GTO engine will cost megabucks. It would be cheaper to get an LS1 and do a couple hundred bucks of mods to bump the hp up. LS6 heads, cam, & intake are ony $1700 or so, and that takes you to 405 crank hp.

The engine in the GTO is an LS1. Next year it is supposed to be an LS2 (much the same as an ls1 but 3 valves per cylinder and different programming, etc...)

The LS2 will still have 2 valves per cylinder, the LS7 is rumored to have the 3 valve setup.

LS2 will have the same stroke as the LS1 but will have a 4.00" bore ( :D Can you stay stroker block!) and a few changes in the cam and crank sensor locations. From what I've seen recently it looks like the LS2 block, heads, and intake will be swapable with the LS1.

Dale

• 11 months later...
Guest et2473

hey guys i have a 05 gto ls2 and a 6m on hand, im new to this so i dont know wat the hell im doing. can anybody help me. would it be the same setup as a ls1?

The GTO is not the same as the Camaro LS1. The GTO has a front mounted oil sump that will unquestionably interfere with the steering rack and cross member. The gear ratios in the T56 are also slightly different (and probably not for the better) and the accessories (alternator etc) are in different locations.

There is am ebay place in Bristol PA that is regularly selling very low mile GTO LS1 motor and T56 tranny's for around $6K.

0411pon_blown_25_z.jpg

Actually this in not a bad article.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/pontiac/0411pon_blown/