HybridZ

Dashboard alternitives?

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I did a search but had no luck.

I was wondering if there are any known dashboards that can be fitted in the Z, I looking to make the interior look more modern.

A few ideas I have had have been a Porsche dash or an RX-8

What do you guys think?

I vaguely remember a thread about intalling a newer dash in an S30 with pictures of the final product. I remember it being pretty impressive. I want to say that it was a 240SX dash, but I really don't remember. Whatever it is/was, it'll be a pretty custom intensive effort.

Guest iskone

Thanks for the link.

I plan to take some measurements off a late RX-7, RX-8, and a 350Z.

I'll look into other cars too, but those are the ones that come to mind first.

well I hate to say it but nothing is going to fit perfectly. Most dashes flow into the doors by way of a molded armrest. I would say get some fiberglass and cut out the tach and speedo. Then make a more modern looking housing for those two gauges. The three center gauges look modern like many other newer cars. Then make a mold of the whole thing and make your full fiberglass dash. It will weigh less, be easier to paint, and you could sell one to me after that. Lol. This is basically the plan I have at the moment.

Guest iskone

My plan is/was to find the interior I like and buy evrything for it I can such as dash, doors, center console, instruments then make molds of the parts,

After I made the parts fit that is.

Make them out of glass then have them coverd or painted.

I really want a sophisticated look in the car, tan and black leather with aluminum trim has always been what I lean towards.

Lots of work but it would be well worth it IMO

Guest steveo
Thanks for the link.

I plan to take some measurements off a late RX-7' date=' RX-8, and a 350Z.

I'll look into other cars too, but those are the ones that come to mind first.[/quote']

check out the G35, should be the same size as the 350, but is much nicer in my opinion

I include this in this thread only for record.

This is the dash in my car. It is a fiberglass top-half cover that is made to fit over the stock 280 dash. It fits the 240 dash but not quite as well. It is from the Tomahawk Cobra-esk kit made by Rory Bateman. Availability is nil though. I live only an hour away from Rory and tried to get him to make me one for two years. In the end I bought it from someone who bought a kit and decided not to use the dash cover. So if you want one all I can offer is "good luck". :roll:

ZCAR083.jpg

Couple of notes. It fits the 280 dash without modification. The 240 dash needs some slicing and dicing to the padding to fit. Also, this cover has a fouth 2 1/2" hole for another gauge to be mounted. However, some of the metal dash structure is directly behind the hole and needs to be cut away for a gauge to fit. The cover is molded in one piece. I had my bodyman paint the face matte black and the top the body color. The whole thing in Viper Blue just looked too gaudy. Last note: On the 240 it covers the glove box door button. 280's have their button on the door. In my case I drilled a hole in the glove box door and installed a latch from a 280. Kind of a pain but the alternative was to drill a hole in the cover to stick your finger in to push the original 240 button. I thought that would look a little cheesy.

There is/was a 240Z in Sydney which had the complete dash out of a lateish model Nissan fitted, saw it last year, from memory it looked quite good. Don't know how much work was involved, donor was a Silvia, 180 or 200SX, something like that.

The alternative which I've thought about is a custom 'race' dash, lots of aluminium with a pad along the top. The minimumilist look. :wink:

BTW Dan, that car of yours is gorgeous. Even if the steering wheel is on the wrong side. :P

Guest HolyLlama

If you're in the US, don't expect to get a Silvia dash unless you have connections with junkyards in Japan, I've been looking for one on eBay for about 2 months now and haven't found one yet, I figure I'll buy a 240sx dash and buy a JDM gauge cluster. Don't expect to order one from Nissan either, I checked with them and the outrageous price spawned this great quote

Me: "4500 what? Yen?"

Him: "Dollars"

Me: "I could fly to Japan and get a dash from a junkyard cheaper than that"

Him: "Have fun"

Guest HolyLlama

Yeah, all Silvias (I mean S15) are RHD, something I never looked into though is if they released it in France if they did it might be possible to get a LHD Silvia dash. I was prepared to do a RHD conversion for the hell of it though.