HybridZ

Are wheel adapters safe?

Guest Loose_Screws

Guest Loose_Screws

I am considering purchasing Honda wheel adapters from Modern Motorsports and I have some questions before I do this. I know you guys have the answers! :wink:

Do you feel they are as safe as using stock wheels and no adapters?

Are there any problems balance of the wheel?

Do they perform well overall?

Please post if you are using these and maybe some pictures! :)

Here's a link to the adapters on the website:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=6

The only 2 drawbacks I can see with using adapters are:

1) Slightly greater unsprung weight

2) Twice as many nuts to come loose

I used them myself for quite some time with no ill effects. They are a proven method of changing offset and have been used in racing, on the street and all over the place for decades. I've seen many instances of cars crashed with wheel spacers on, and the spacers held up a lot better than the wheels or the rest of the car in every case.

I ran with wheel adapters for a few years. There were never any problems and they where checked from time to time. I have never known one to fail. But there was always an uneasy feeling about them. I eventually changed to a different hub.

Guest Loose_Screws

Thanks for the info guys! I'll pick a set of these up soon!

So...what wheels do I want? :twisted: I won't open that can of worms!

Have anyone keept the spacers on when doing drag racing with slicks? Are the spacers legal under NHRA competition or safe for that matter on a car under 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile?

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I would have to think that the answer is in the fact that they have been used in some very high stress enviroments and professional racing currently and in the past but, I'n not sure about drag racing.

Guest Loose_Screws
I'm not sure about drag racing.

Well, it's not like I am making huge amounts of power. :lol: It might be making 225 or more.

225 HP is not the only problem, good traction at the line with 200-300+ HP and 250-400 lb of torque stressing not 4 wheel studs but 8 in every tire.

Some of the quick L28ET Zs as well as Hybrids in this forum generate sufficient amount of power to break u joints, axles and differentials. I would think that spacers and studs will go the same way in a drag racing environment.

It should make no difference if you have the force applied thru a set of four or two sets of four studs. the torque applied to each set of studs is constant, which means you are exactlyas likely to snap a stud with 1000hp with or without a spacer. In another words each set of studs (original and spacer) are independent of each other, do not change the torque applied to each other and do not weaken the system, regardless of power.