HybridZ

Why does the 280zx get such a bad rap? (Warning 56k)

zeeboost

I mean, sure, the body lines aren't as smooth and sexy as an S30, but they still can look pretty good. Let’s not forget that the S130 aerodynamics are substantially better than the S30. I know this has been going on for a while, but it was RCNSC’s posts that triggered me into posting this. Included are some random pictures off of the net of some impressive (IMO) S130s. If one of these cars are yours and it offends you that I’m using it, please PM me and I’ll remove it:

A couple of nice S130s found in Japan:

zeeboost-silver_jap_zx.jpg

zeeboost-black_jap_zx.jpg

This one has over 600hp and hits well over 200 mph:

zeeboost-600hp_280zx_1.jpg

Here’s one with a modified Aero Kit II:

zeeboost-aerotech_zx.jpg

The owner of this one did some other fiberglass modifications to it:

zeeboost-bruce_zee_side.jpg

A clean 280zx with sidepipes:

zeeboost-280zx_sidepipes.jpg

Let’s not forget some on this forum: Guy’s (80lt1) 280zx, for one, is a good example of an s130

zeeboost-280zx_lt1.jpg

Icice9's 280zx:

normal_sig.jpg

And, you know I wouldn’t be going off on this topic if I didn’t have one, so here’s a recent pic of mine:

zeeboost-sideshot_of_my_zx.jpg

Of course, I know mine doesn’t really look that good right now – it has about 4 different colors on it, the bodywork isn’t anywhere near finished yet, and I haven’t done my headlight conversion yet.

If you still think that the S130 is ugly, then you need to go in for a noggin check :wink:

The only real issues with 280ZX was the luxury fat, stifling emmissions,safety bumpers, brake fade and handling problems caused by the trailing arm rear.

Nothing really to do with the style at all.

Like any car the last of a model is usually the best, the last turbo had hard suspension and would outrun an equivelant era Porche.

So modified with these issues addressed and nice body kit you cant go wrong, isn't that right fellow 280ZXs? Neil 8)

Guest RCNSC

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Ok, I lie. I can't contain myself...

*THIS IS STRICTLY AN OPINION SO NO ONE GET BENT OUT OF SHAPE*

I think stock S30s are gorgeous. Well 240Zs anyway. They look agile, sporty, light, sexy. Even under extensive modification in various forms (anything from a pure JDM ride with G Nose and flares to the most rednecked SBC V8 sittin on American Racing wheels) they still retain that look. They are the Nissan Fairlady Zs, and nothing has come close since until the 350Z (minus the price tag :))

PERFORMANCE: The 1979 280ZX was the replacement for the 280Z. It showed the Z car evolving into a larger, more comfortable car. That equals less performance? The 280ZX was slower than the '78 280Z and I always figured a replacment should get better. It wasn't until the turbo model came out that the ZX became the faster of the two. Kind of disapointing.

LOOKS: I just personally think 280ZXs look like crap. It's like Nissan TRIED to keep the S30 thing going on, but the drawing board got bitch slapped by the 80s. The T-Tops are so... redneck. It reminds me of Trans Ams. The random chrome bits around the tops and the divider between the door and quarter glass looks dumb and out of place.

The roof got edgy. The hood got too busy. The front bumper had too much ugly black rubber and crap. The tail lights look like cheap chunks of colored plastic just stuck on at the end (same with early Z31s).

The cars look long. They look heavy. And good lord - they were slow.

80s commercial says: "The secret to controlling the new Datsun TURBO ZX is controlling yourself. You won't do 0-50 in 6 seconds flat - but you know you could!"

Sure, in the early 80s, it may have been cool, but I can't think of too many cool 80s cars anyway.

I just think it was a crappy replacement for the Z. I guess that's why it was called the ZX.

But I do like some ZX rims! (snowflakes and 6 spokes) And I'd love to have an L28ET in my 240Z.

Some of the ZXs you posted look good, but the same modifications would look much better on an S30.

)

I mean, sure, the body lines aren't as smooth and sexy as an S30, but they still can look pretty good. Let’s not forget that the S130 aerodynamics are substantially better than the S30. I know this has been going on for a while, but it was RCNSC’s posts that triggered me into posting this. Included are some random pictures off of the net of some impressive (IMO) S130s.

Took the words right out of my mouth! :D Yeah the S130 is a little on the heavy side but with 400HP who cares! LOL :twisted:

Guy

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Ok' date=' I lie. I can't contain myself...

*THIS IS STRICTLY AN OPINION SO NO ONE GET BENT OUT OF SHAPE*

LOOKS: I just personally think 280ZXs look like crap. It's like Nissan TRIED to keep the S30 thing going on, but the drawing board got bitch slapped by the 80s.

I just think it was a crappy replacement for the Z. I guess that's why it was called the ZX. [/quote']

Ok I'll try not to take those personal! :x

RCNSC, did you read the "HYBRIDZ MISSION STATEMENT"?......

The members of HybridZ pride themselves on the friendly, open atmosphere in the forums. Ideas are not to be criticized, but listened to and courteously and thoughtfully responded to. The members of HybridZ are encouraged to handle themselves with the utmost respect for others and their ideas, and to educate others in a friendly manner if their experience can shed light on a topic.

I don't think pissing off a bunch of 280ZX/300ZX owners is friendly, respectful, or courteous. Opinions like this need to be kept to yourself!

Guy :?

Guest RCNSC

RCNSC' date=' did you read the "HYBRIDZ MISSION STATEMENT"?......

The members of HybridZ pride themselves on the friendly, open atmosphere in the forums. Ideas are not to be criticized, but listened to and courteously and thoughtfully responded to. The members of HybridZ are encouraged to handle themselves with the utmost respect for others and their ideas, and to educate others in a friendly manner if their experience can shed light on a topic.

I don't think pissing off a bunch of 280ZX/300ZX owners is friendly, respectful, or courteous. Opinions like this need to be kept to yourself!

Guy :?

Sharing my opinion on the design and performance characteristics of the Datsun 280ZX ISNT UNFRIENDLY, DISRESPECTFUL, or DISCOURTEOUS, unless of course someone here is responsible for the 280ZXs design or engineering. I have made no personal attacks, and don't intend to.

Take it how you will, but me expressing a negative opinion is just as fair as you expressing a positive one. You have as many posts as you want to take your stance on it the topic, so use them.[/b]

I personnally prefer the look of the 280ZX. If I didn't already have a 240 to build on I would prbably go with a 280ZX. I have even considered trading my 240Z for a 280ZX as I am building a daily driver and think that the ZX would be more comfortable and I could always soup up my LT1 to make up for the added weight. It is all a matter of personal opinion.

Well lets see here...

I have owned 3 zx's and I loved them... Yes, they are somewhat slow in stock form, and the rear suspension isn't so great, but they still have the 'Z' in them. I'v heard that the 'X' actually stands for "X"tra metal. :lol:

My first one was a 3 difrent color/bondo/glass/braze/pop-rivet/spray bomb piece of garbage. I loved it. :D (well, it was my first car.. and before that, I drove around in my moms VW Jetta so.. yah..) I actually think in factory stock form, the ZX is a nicer looking car in some ways. I actually plan to keep my 75 280 fairly stock now, and buy a zx to V8.. seeing as the rear suspension is kind of crap anyway, I'll rip it out and do something better, and able to handle some big 351W HP. :twisted: Im sort of on dmyntti's side here.. And you can still find quite a few ZX's around where I live (compared to earlier Z's) in decent shape.. But dont get me wrong, I LOVE the look of the early Z's.. with an air dam and whale tail.. heh heh.. I got to get pics of mine up so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

Guest 2slo4u

Yeah, some go carts are light and can hit 60mph quicker but who wants to ride in a go cart all day long? :lol: (Just kidding) I like the early z's all the way to the 300zx's, and can't stand the 350z twins. It's all a matter of opinion. In MY opinion, Ice's zx rules. He picked a good color and wheel combonation and the light covers finish it off. I do like the t-tops (when thy are off) but I wish mine did not leak, ha, ha. :lol:

Other good changes (besides aerodynamics) that the zx's had were better visibility gauges, built in alternator regulators, improved suspension and better a/c. Good looking alloy wheels and improved brakes topped it off.

81zxturbo rustybutrunning

I've never driven a ZX (I've barely even driven my Z :roll:), but they're growing on me. I used to think they were ugly, but 80LT1's ZX is a great example of how just a few changes can really make a difference.

RCNSC, sorry if I seemed out of line but I do take a little offense when someone calls the car I am driving around in basically a POS. I agree that everyone can and should have their opinion. :oops:

Thanks Metro! :D

Guy

Oh dear what can the matter be,

three old ladies locked in the lavatory.

Theyve been there from Sunday till Saturday,

Nobody knew they were there! :roll:

Well dont some people get carried away, you modify things to improve their faults. All the initial critisism relates to the factory spec car and those that drove S30s new will attest to their abismal brakes and floating at high speed.

With no intention to offend if the S130 hadn't been designed for the US market it could have been an entirely different car.

I have a copy of a development book for the 280ZX and some less knowledgable people have absolutely no idea what went into the design of the car both styling wise and mechanically. I would have to say in many respects it is superior to the cars that preceded it despite US emissions.

Beauty will always fall to the eye of the beholder. Neil :wink:

Guest bastaad525

So far I've owned two ZX's and my one 240... I have loved them all. I would LOVE to happen upon a nice clean 280ZX for sale and just happen to have a little stash of cash that I could afford to snatch it up. I wouldn't trade it for my 240... the two are actually very different to me and suit very different purposes, though I'd want to make either as fast as I could! I think the ZX's were very advanced for their time (I can think of very few cars from the early 80's that had EFI or disc brakes all around, among quite a few other nice features) and were also some of the best looking cars the 80's had to offer. The ZX turbo was even more advanced and was one of the fastest sporty cars you could buy at the time. It's only ugly in the way that the '80s tended to uglify things and even in that sense it's shape has held up to the test of time better than most.

I HOPE one day I find some little old lady selling a nice '83 turbo for dirt cheap....