HybridZ

Why does the 280zx get such a bad rap? (Warning 56k)

zeeboost

Guest Aaron

As a ZXer I love the overall style of the car. My first car was an 81ZXT with gold snowflakes, the ZX I have now is an 82ZXT, and my mom had an 80 2+2 ZX until I was about 14 (we could not fit in the "family" car any longer). Yes, the car had some 80's problems, but what newly designed car in the 80's didn't? I wish I could move the rear end back about 4-6" to shorten the "butt" of the car. I haven't really cared for the styling of the camaro's, corvette's, firebird's, mustangs, etc. since the 70's. The Z31's were cool when they were new, but I just don't care for them like I used to. The Z32's could become classics in time if the rice boys don't destroy their image.

One of the biggest things I prefer about the 280ZX is the lack of the grill. I have always thought the s30 looks unfinished without some work to the front end.

They didn't create a sports car with the 280ZX. They make a cushy, well appointed and advanced.... cruiser. Nissan didn't even attempt to market it as a sports car, instead, called it "SPORTY."

This has happened before with other cars and manufacturers (such as the Ford Thunderbird). Car companies develop cars for the demands of the consumer. Why else are we seeing all the developments in trucks and retro cars the last few years. I personally think the retro thing is the only reason the 350Z was introduced.

My main issue with the 280ZX is its not a sports car, and isn't that what the "Z" is all about?

If that is the case, what is the Thunderbird? Originally a 2 seater sports car to compete with the Corvette.

Guest RCNSC

I'm not saying the 280ZX is a bad car. Sure it has it's advances over the S30. If it didn't use the Z/ZX name, it would be just fine in my book. It just didn't fill the void left by the S30.

They didn't create a sports car with the 280ZX. They make a cushy, well appointed and advanced.... cruiser. Nissan didn't even attempt to market it as a sports car, instead, called it "SPORTY."

Its only natural (AND EXPECTED) for things to get better. Improvments are needed to justify a new models introduction. Of course a 280ZX will ride better. Shouldn't it after a decade of development?

My main issue with the 280ZX is its not a sports car, and isn't that what the "Z" is all about?

reply: Ford thought that a four seater would sell better. Fine. But why couldn't Nissan the 280ZX as another model, instead of prostituting the Z's image?

There is nothing wrong if a company wants to take a model in a new direction. But don't pretend its the same old car, "IMPROVED." I don't understand why, if the Nissan 280ZX was so great, it had the shortest life span of all the "Z cars."

Guest RCNSC

If that is the case' date=' what is the Thunderbird? Originally a 2 seater sports car to compete with the Corvette.[/quote']

If you're calling any T-Bird made from 1958-present a SPORTS CAR, you're on drugs. It’s a perfect example of a sell out, and the reason why the buyer demographics changed so drastically from '57 to '58.

Asking me which I'd rather have between a 240Z and a 280ZX is like asking a T Bird enthusiast whether he'd rather a supercharged '57 or the four seat land yacht of '58.

Guest RCNSC
So what is the 280ZX if its not a sports car? And if you want to get technical the 260Z was the shortest lived Z car' date=' 1 year of production. :D:wink:

Guy[/quote']

A car that sold on its "plush velour cockpit, computerized saftey check, power steering, 5 speed with cruise control, 4 speaker stereo....etc"

I'd consider it more of a... cushy sports tourer - made for older people. :)

And yea, I guess the 260Z is the shortest lived, so I guess I should say S30 vs S130.

why even start up a subject like this when u know this is going to piss off all kinds of people!! :roll:

i have owned 4 z's and no zx's.

do i like the zx's? yeah i do but there are some things that i dont but that doesnt mean that im going to blabble about it on this forum.

if this is the kind of stuff you are going to bring to this friendly,happy place, you might as well go on a mustang forum and tell them that their cars are crap like the f-body guys do. its just as bad.

so why dont you keep your RUDE comments to yourself or save it for another forum. :wink:

Guest bastaad525

A car that sold on its "plush velour cockpit' date=' computerized saftey check, power steering, 5 speed with cruise control, 4 speaker stereo....etc"

[/quote']

Um... so those things make it not a sports car? Well... most sports cars these days pack quite a bit of luxury as well, the nice stereos and the power everything and the leather interiors... does that make them any less of sports cars? I wouldn't have bought a ZX new for it's 'plush velour cockpit" I would have bought one because for their time they had good performance and looked nice. If so then about the only REAL sports cars on the planet are the Lotus Elise and the Cobra kit cars....

Not disagreeing with the facts though, which it's true Nissan did not want to sell the ZX as a sports car, and I guess it does qualify more as a GT car then anything. It's not 'pure' like the Z was but then again at the time what cars were? But tell me, relatively, what does a Z32 do compared to the cars of it's time, that makes it any more of a sports car than a 280zx? It was large, heavy, technically overcomplicated, and appointed with luxuries... relatively, it is a much better car, but again, if you look at both cars in context of what was available at the time, what really makes the Z32's 'mission' so different? Yet most people do consider Z32's to be true sports cars. Hell the 350z's aren't really a true sports car then if you want to look at it that way, just another GT car.

ghostniceride.jpg

More room, more comfortable, road quieter, more creature comforts, and with the right suspension, you can take an s30 w/suspension no problem.

I dont see 80's design in the 280zx, i see 70's. The z31 would clearly be the Nissan 1980's disaster.

Its still a Z, because NISSAN said so, regardless of personal opinion.

Guest RCNSC

This thread was started because of personal opinion, regaurdless of what Nissan marketed the car as. There is no Z on that car without an "X" following it, and they did that for a reason. Glad they kept it on until a worthy follow up was made.

How does "More room, more comfortable, road (rode) quieter, more creature comforts" equate to a better SPORTS CAR? Sounds like an advertising campaign for a new Town Car or something.

All I'm saying is the ZX is fine for what it is, but people need to stop confusing it for what it isn't.

I've made my case. It's pointless for me to continue posting here...

Dont correct my damn spelling. I mean ROAD noise. RCNSC, grow up, you own a peice of trashy metal just like i do. ITS JUST A CAR, you wanna let your life revolve around it? You should grow a socket wrench for a penis so you can make love to it then.

RCNSC--Those in glass houses should not throw stones REGAURDLESS of whether or not they can spell REGARDLESS. :wink:

Bottom line, you don't see a lot of ZX race cars. If racing that requires any sort of handling is your thing, you're probably going to want a 240 (not a 260 or a 280 either). If not, it's more a personal preference thing than anything else. Personally I can see a lot of benefit to the heavier cars on the road, stiffer, fuel injected, quieter in the case of the ZX. Probably a lot safer in an accident too.

Personally, if I were going to buy a Datsun with the ZX style suspension, it would be a 510. I've always liked the flying bricks. But that's just my take on it, and I'm a handling freak, not a boulevard cruiser.

Well Im in between I dont like the stock 280zx's but the modified ones in this thread are pretty. I have an 82zxt and you can tell that it would be so much faster without all the fat. However its still quick and with minor body mods some wheels and suspension upgrades Id love to have another one. To bad mine will be become crushed rust here soon as the engine is going in my 280z.

Be interesting to see if this ends up in the trash. It doesn't look like it can ever be resolved and only fuels passions.

I was under the impression that ANY Z with ANY engine was what this board is about. It is the only Z board for me and I will cheer any Z owner above all else, X or not.

A suggestion- When you read something that makes you angry wait at least 3 hours to reply back to it. By that time your post will be something you do not need to edit later.

Keep it civil

Rick

Dont correct my damn spelling. I mean ROAD noise. RCNSC, grow up, you own a peice of trashy metal just like i do. ITS JUST A CAR[/b'], you wanna let your life revolve around it? You should grow a socket wrench for a penis so you can make love to it then.

Uncalled for. Back off!

Thread is now locked....chill out guys...they're just bloody cars!!!!