HybridZ

Z Insurance question - help!

rustrocket

Alright,

I've owned 6 z's before, but they weren't daily drivers, and i had to sell them due to financial obligations, girlfriends who refused to ride in the cars, or neighbors who kept calling the city to tow my cars. Anyhow, i just picked up another z to replace my daily driver. I got an awesome deal of $1000 for the car. Anyhow, my question is: is it worth getting comprehensive and collision (both with $500 deductibles) for a car that only cost me $1000 but eventually will have much more into it? What do you guys suggest? Thanks for the input.

-rustrocket

Well, sometime in the next 15 days I have to get my car apraised for my Ins Co. I'm kind of curious as to what the guy will apraise it for... But right now, my car only has liability on it. I can even GET comprehensive/colision without this apraisal. As of now, it's just an old car, and they would go by whatever the 'book' value says. In my case, that's about $400. :shock: Yah, I've got $4000 into mine so far, and I've only had it for a year :lol: Maybe you should get it apraised.. and go from there?

My car carries full insurance. The advantage of even large deductible full insurance is that the insurance company will represent you in an accident but will not if you only have liability. Also -you should carry uninsured motorist - that is as important as liability. Depending on your driving record and age it shouldn't be too bad - maybe $125/month?

Keep in mind that unless you have agreed value coverage, then the 'total out' value of the car will only be around $1500. So if the cost to repair approaches or exceeds that, the value of the insurance is not worth it.

I have agreed value coverage for $20k with my insurance company.

Tim

Tim - *sigh* the perils of being young :? ... Even with my multi-car and loyalty discounts, and "weekend driver" (less than 7k a year) rate, mine is still high.

RCNSC - At 17 years old, it helps a lot to have a "good student discount" or the equivalent. One z i had back in highschool (one of 9 cars i drove senior year) had full coverage, good student discounts, and it was costing me $80 a month.

If being young and having high insurance is the worst of your problems, consider yourself lucky.

Double hah! I can get that kind of coverage for $165/year but I want to be able to drive the car more than 2,500 miles/year and park it somewhere other than my garage. Full liability, uninsured motorist, medical, and $200 deductible collision and comprehensive are running me about $720/year.

Hey...you MOFOs don't live in Southern California!! Prices are crazy here because car theft is real bad, and lots of uninsured drivers and 'undocumented aliens' driving around in POS cars that are unregistered and uninsured......

Double hah! I can get that kind of coverage for $165/year but I want to be able to drive the car more than 2,500 miles/year and park it somewhere other than my garage.

That price is for a stock Datsun, If I said mine was $20k and stock it would be $174/year. But modified brings it to $332/year

I hate to even think about how much my insurance company would charge me if i had $20,000 and a "modified" Z. I might as well bend over now and prepare myself for it, it wont be too long before it comes to that point (but probably not close to 20k).

$20kAUD, 4000km year, $700AUD premium. Not covered when racing, so I've been told to make sure it gets damaged 'on it's way too/from the track' :lol:

Will be bumping it up to around $35kAUD when it's 'more' finished.

You have to ask 'How much is it worth to you?'. My Z owes me about $40kAUD so far, but I'm prepared to have it insured for a bit less at this stage.