HybridZ

Custom L6 oil pan

Just testing the water to see who would be interested in a custom sheetmetal oil pan for the L6. I will have the flanges cnc'd and the pan will be made from polished .125" aluminum. I will do it if I can sell 10. Price should be about $325 and will increase the oil capacity.

Baffles are a must. I'm over 1g in all directions. Sometimes, on rare ocasions, in the Z axis too!

ummm, not to be a pain in the ass, but 1g acceleration equates to approximately a 9 second quater mile...

what exactly is the advantage of using a custom oil pan?

A couple of things that I can think of...

If you have greater oil capacity and assuming it's properly baffled, you should be able to keep oil at the pickup for a longer period of time under high g situations (cornering, braking, accelerating).

Also, since there is more oil, you will have a longer "grace peroid" until you overheat the oil during 'high stress' conditions. Since there is simply more oil, it takes longer to heat it all up. The downside here is that it will also take longer to warm up to normal operating temps from a cold start.