HybridZ

where to find a shifter bushing

zero

I already searched and found nothing. I have a 72 240 with an unidentified 5 speed (though i think its out of a 260/280) with a worn to the point of being non existant shifter bushing. I tried the local stores and the stores i know online like victoria british, msa, and classicdatsun and I cant seem to find it. Does anyone know where I could get ahold of one of these, my duct tape quick fix isnt really cutting it. :-D

well, if you havent found a quick fix already i suggest a couple washers on either side of the shifter with few turns of appropriately cut duct tape wound around the pin after you grease it, then pull it off and put it in the shifter, then slide the pin through the washers and the tape. This works pretty well for me, but I want to find a proper bushing.

If it is the two piece plastic bush which is part of the gear lever pivot arrangement, it is a serviced Nissan part. Dunno the part # but I bought one a couple of years ago. It is shown in the 260Z workshop manual I have too, the pivot arrangement consists of a pin, circlip, two piece bush and small coil spring.

I have had the same problem with my transmission. to solve this problem I took a piece of round metal tubing and cut off a piece just as wide as the shifter if it won't fit into the shifter hole use a hack saw and cut one side of it. then use some plyers to squeeze it back round again. repeat this process till it will almost fit into the hole. then take a big hammer and pound the sucker in. after a nice tight fit is made. get a drill bit that is just slightly bigger than the pin and drill the hole out to the proper size. lastly use one (or two depending on thickness) washer on either side of the shifter and now you have a nice tight shifter again that wont wear out. good luck

jesse

I just ordered a set from MSA last week.

There are 3 bushings, the one that goes on the end of the shift lever, over the rounded metal end is part# 201121 ($3.18).

The other 2 are spacer bushings that go into the hole (one on each side)on the shift lever. #201130 ($3.20 each).

while I've got this topic going, i have a question for you guys. I originally sought to replace the shifter bushing because i thought it was what was causing my hard shifting, but after putting in my quick fix, it seems that it may not be the problem. What do you think would cause a lot of effort getting into gear, especially 1st. The problem seems to come and go, and is mainly from a standstill. I originally thought it was my clutch adjustment, but im not sure, because at this point it isnt even very tight and it is still hard to shift. Now, i think my shifter bushing solution might not be the best, because it didnt seem to help. It could be my synchro's, but a fair amount of effort is required to get it into any gear, not just first, and i dont suppose all of them wore out so quickly, and also this is a fairly recent problem, as I havent driven the car more than 200miles and I dont remember this being a problem except for the past week or so. I thought my tranny fluid might be a little low, but I dont have the proper fluid at the moment, but I will add some soon. Do you guys have any other suggestions, thanks.

-will

while I've got this topic going, i have a question for you guys. I originally sought to replace the shifter bushing because i thought it was what was causing my hard shifting, but after putting in my quick fix, it seems that it may not be the problem. What do you think would cause a lot of effort getting into gear, especially 1st. The problem seems to come and go, and is mainly from a standstill. I originally thought it was my clutch adjustment, but im not sure, because at this point it isnt even very tight and it is still hard to shift. Now, i think my shifter bushing solution might not be the best, because it didnt seem to help. It could be my synchro's, but a fair amount of effort is required to get it into any gear, not just first, and i dont suppose all of them wore out so quickly, and also this is a fairly recent problem, as I havent driven the car more than 200miles and I dont remember this being a problem except for the past week or so. I thought my tranny fluid might be a little low, but I dont have the proper fluid at the moment, but I will add some soon. Do you guys have any other suggestions, thanks.

-will

What type of fluid do you have in there?

I can't speak from experience on the Datsun side as I haven't experimented with different fluid but on my GSR transmission it is unbeleivably picky about what goes in there. Anything other than Honda MTF or GM Syncromesh and it shifts like shit.

Try a good fluid, I am trying Honda MTF in mine next.

well, i found the problem. I bled the clutch, and while i was under there, I discovered that the bolt that goes through the clutch fork, the one that comes from the slave cylinder, looked like it had backed off quite a bit. I think somehow oil or some other lubricant got on it and it worked its way loose. I turned it out quite a bit, and now all is well and my transmission shifts like a champ. Thanks guys.