HybridZ

broke my r-200 again

onephatz

can anyone please tell me why if the r-200 is supposed to be the stronger diff., why is it that I have just killed my 3rd one? took it apart today and found the same culprit as last time. the idler spider gears pin just doesn't hold up in the housing and breaks loose. any ideas of why this keeps breaking on me?

thanks

jesse

p.s. 280z, turbo, 14psi, 5spd, 3.54

The weak point in an R200 is the spider gears. You have proved that those are the first to fail. You need an LSD of some type. Spinning just one wheel is what that gives the spider gears a work out. Many have said the LSD types, whether it is a quiaffe or otherwise, hold up much better for just this reason.

Since you have 3 broken R200's, why not try welding up the broke spider gears and swapping that in for hard running track days?

Late 86 and newer Z31 have 4-pinion diffs from the factory(or LSD). Spider gears really don't like one-wheel burnouts or shock-loading. I blew up an R200 with one wheel spinning on gravel and then hitting pavement. But, that was being stoopid :lol:

I have the R200 in my 71 240z 327 T56. It's an open diff non posi unit. Are you guys saying hear that if I were to ugrade to a posi unit I would pick up more strength?? Going from a 2 pinion spider gear carrier to a 4 pinion spider carrier?? I dont know much about these rear ends. All I know is that I have worked way to hard on mine getting it to run smooth to go out and wreck it. lol. I see these light independant rear end cars as more road racing cars than drag cars with low ets.

With a almost balanced car would a posi unit better my already great cornering? I know a detroit locker type diff is too much lock up for cornering and expensive. Any suggestions?

The road racing guys may have to step in on this one, But my car had more push (understeer) with the LSD.It does change the handling of the car. But that can be compensated for with tire pressures, sway bars, etc. Even upgrading to a 4 pinion open diff will be better, as we know that the R200's weak point is the spider gears. Doubling them up will make a big difference in how much abuse the diff will handle. I've never heard of any other mode of failure in the R200. The only problem is the choice of ratios available with the 12mm Ring gear late R200's - 3.7 and 3.9 are common.

Doug

Doug is right. Right now you only have one cross pin and 2 pinion gears taking the load when you go around corners or do burn outs. I'm guessing its the burn outs that are taking out your diffs. Get a 4 pinion and you've got twice the cross pin area and twice as many gears taking that load.

Scumdog, the LSD makes an unbelieveable difference in the handling. Yes, a clutch type will give you more push as Doug said, but you can tune around that. I've only seen one Detroit Locker R190 ever about 10 years ago, and I've never heard of or seen another one since. That was in a friend's 510, and he put it in, drove around for about a month, then sold it. He said it was brutal, and it almost killed him getting off a rain soaked offramp one evening. When he went around corners I expected to see the differential in pieces in the middle of the road because the thing was so loud.

Mat73GNZ has made spacers so that you can put your 10mm ring gear on a 12mm carrier. Don't know if he still has any left, but he sold me a set.

is there list of possable replacements for my failing r200. where would I find a 4 spider r200? I know where I can get a r230 in a local uwrech it. does the drive shaft have to be modifyed for a r230? I am also interested in putting 3.36 gears in my car. what 280zx came with the 3.36 r200? I also know where I can find a 87 3.7 lsd for a good price, but I would rather keep my 3.54 gears though. don't the 84-86 turbos come with a 12mm 3.54 open r200?

thanks

jesse

p.s. I am gonna swap the rear end out this week and I'll take pictures for ya all.