HybridZ

Need advice on heads

Guest loveonthebeach

Guest loveonthebeach

I've been looking at heads and noticed that some of them (such as Brodix Track One) have a "minimum" compression. What is the minimum compression is not met...for example if the min. comp. is 11.0:1 and i'm running 10:1 ? Are there any negative effects of this? Thanks.

-RotrocketZ

They are trying to keep you from running on the street most likely. I would not worry about minimum compression, but I would worry about engine displacement and camshaft size relative to the heads. For a 355 ci engine on the street with a cam of less than 240 deg duration at .050, the 215cc intake runners are borderline too big. With a 380+ ci motor and cam timing above 240 deg at .050. If you are building a 3 season streeter, cosider a different head. The AFR 195 is a nice head for the street that darn near equals the flow of the Track 1 and are within $100.

If forced induction is in the works, you need to concentrate more on the exhaust side of the head since positive pressure will push air/fuel into the intake. Compression is definitely an issue with the forced induction, but not in terms of minimum compression, but maximum. I highly recommend a book on supercharging if you plan to go that route. There is way more info even in my head than can be conveyed in a few parragraphs. The book, regardless of author, will clear up just about any q.s Give Motorbooks.com a look.

I dont know as much as mike c but i know a little, I personally would never go 215cc heads on a 350 however i would with a 400 sb, The best head for the buck is definately trick flows 23 degree trwisted wedge head they got 622 hp out of a 355 sbc using there 190 heads. The besat head of all is the afr but cost 600 more than the Twisted wedge and only adds 13 more hp on most applications.

Chad

Guest loveonthebeach

The best head for the buck is definately trick flows 23 degree trwisted wedge head

What about the Twisted Wedge G2 series? Trick flow claims they made 50 more horse than the corvette L98 heads on a 350 sbc.

Originally posted by Mike C:

... I highly recommend a book on supercharging if you plan to go that route.

I am actually turbocharging an 350. Good advice about the books---I have three that I'm constantly looking at, but I never jump to answer a question such as this; I just read through the thing from beginning to end :rolleyes:

I think the larger ports would be more ideal for maximum power in a turbocharged EFI setup.

Davy

Guest loveonthebeach

Mikelly - As far as the dart pro 1 heads go...Is it better top buy them and port/polish them yourself or to buy them already cnc ported by Dart? Which way is cheaper?

Originally posted by rotrocketz:

Mikelly - As far as the dart pro 1 heads go...Is it better top buy them and port/polish them yourself or to buy them already cnc ported by Dart? Which way is cheaper?

The Dart Pro1s evloved from, not just a renamed conquest, according to my engine builder, redesigned as well. Factory CNCs don't come in the smaller 215 & under sizes. According to the Dart rep I talked to, not enough room for CNCing the small ports. Darts are a great value as is, and big gains when professionally ported. You need to know your Dart heads or home porting can turn them into a set of expensive paperweights. Unless you want a drag motor, don't make the same mistake I did and kill the low end port velocity going for big flow numbers. IMO, the 215s ported, 300+cfm are a drag only head. I went down to 195 AFRs to pick up the low end again. I wasn't dissapointed! Enlightened by the drag gurus on Prestage.com. time slips to back up their statements, many out of box small heads make big hp when the rest of the components match. They recommended that if I keep the 215 Pro1s, to raise my already high 11:1s, bump the cam to mid 600 lift and mid 260s duration. Not what I wanted on the street.

John