HybridZ

car wont stay running

Ok, so i jus swapped a 77 motor into my 78 shell. Im using the 78 ecu. I also have a 240sx 60mm tb with the 240sx tps. I never touched it. i pluged everything back where it supposed to be. Now when i start up the car. I can rev it up a bit for maybe a few seconds then it'll begin to stall and if i try to give it gas, the rev's drop and car tries to stall n when i let off the gas, the revs may come bak up a bit then it'll jus stall most of the time. wat is going on here? can anyone help me figure this out? Oh yeah, i also removed the air regulator

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so i've tried to plug the air regulator back on. no luck. I've also jus installed the jsk fuel rail. I guess its helped a bit. i can actually have the car running for maybe 1 min tops. then it begins to die out after like 30secs. So wat do u guys think? altenator? fuel pump? those are the only things i can think of right now.

ok, so i tried to swap the fuel pump. still no luck. I guess i have to try n swap the wireing harness n check the altenator.

Who has done The 60mm tb swap? Help me out here. Maybe im running to lean my friend thinks.

It also back fires out the intake when the car begins to stall.

Don't use the 240sx tps sensor, it is different than the 280z type.

The 280z is more like a switch, lets the computer know when you are idling and when your are at full throttle.

The 240sx one is linear resistance, not a switch type.

You may need to adjust the throttle body a little more open to get a higher idle.

hummmm, but i've heard of people using the 240 tps. And a friend of mine used it also. and it seems to work fine.

Im kinda on a conclusion that im not gettin enuff fuel. i spray carb cleaner into my intake when the car begun to stall and it brought the rpms bak up. So, since i've tried changin out these parts. I'm starting to think my wiring needs to be fixed. i might have bad connections and my fuel pump isnt gettin enuff power. is that possible?

Oh, and wat do u mean by adjusting the tb a little more open?

:oops: ahhhg.. I should have thoght of that tony.. Yah man, the 280z uses a TVS (Throttle Valve SWITCH) not a TPS (throttle position SENSOR) I think the 240sx tps swap applys mainly to 280ZX engines, as they went to a TPS..

Think of it as the diffrence between; a switch that says 'low power' / 'high power' or a volume type knob that can be turned to any position between low/high.. see the diffrence? I think the 77 280Z ecu will just get messed up because the signal it gets wouldn't be right from the 240sx tps.. it needs to know the throttle is in one of TWO places (as given by the switch) to run the engine properly.. Oh yah, you might try checking the AFM.. could be a bad /weak spring inside.

no longer have an idle adjustment screw on the tb. And even when im steppin on the gas, keepin the revs up, it starts to stall. and when i spray something like carb cleaner into the intake. the rpms come bak up. so it has to be a fuel problem.

Im kinda thinkin that i might have bad wiring causing my fuel pump to not get enuff power to push enuff fuel to build enuff pressure. I'll be getting a new Fuel pressure regulator soon.

Anybody with experience with the 60mm tb swaps can help out here? wat did u guys do? everything worked b4 i pulled the motor from one car and put it in the other. i've swap fuel pump. change fuel rail, checked my injectors. I've removed the cold start injector n air regulator. and also installed a 60mm tb from the 240. Now using the tvs from my 280 tb.

i've tried putting the air regulator bak on. but no luck.

idle adjustment is the little screw that should be located by where the throttle linkage is, it is on the BOTTOM side of the tb, and is hard to get to.

Ive done the 60mm quite a few times, and ive had some issue with idle on the factory 280z and zx fuel system (turbo setups dont have do it though) and adjusting the screw was the fix. For the tps I used 240sx tps and just matched wiring and soldered into 280 harness. Plug and play basically. I also had to plug the very small vacum port on the tb as well.

I would hook up a guage to see what the fuel pressure is doing before switching a bunch of parts.

there is no idel adjustment screw on the tb. the 240sx tb doesnt have an idle adjustment screw. i noe wat an idle adjustment screw is. i used to always adjust my idle with the stock tb. apperently the 240sx is a tps( throttle position sensor, and the 280z has a tvs(throttle valve switch). The 280zx's have tps. mine is a 77 and the one on my 78's motor is the same. its a tvs.

If u plugged the vaccum port on the tb, where did u run the vaccum for the vaccum advance and the carbon canister? because thats where it goes with the stock tb.

Well, whatever bro, I know theres an Idle adjustment because Ive used it, its under the pivot for the throttle linkage and you might have to take off the tb to get to it. If its ported vacum signal out of the port I wouldnt know since I run turbo efi and digital timing.

NOW FIX SOMETHING

so is it capped off or something? cuzz i've never noticed it. i'll have to go check out my friends tb.

well, even then, it shouldnt be the idel causing my car not to be able to stay running. It stalls even when i open the throttle. and thats where i figured it was a fuel problem. i had my friend spray carb cleaner in the intake everytime i began to stall, while i was on the gas.

I would try checking the fuel pump, damper, and filter. If the fuel pump is bad or the damper or filter is clogged for some reason, it wont have enough fuel pressure to keep it idling or revving (check to see if you have any leaking fuel lines, the drop in pressure from that could do it too). Also the carb cleaner probably smoothes out the idle because it gives the engine some extra fuel to burn.

EDIT: nvm about the fuel pump, I missed when you replaced it, maybe your injectors are clogged? :?

i tink its a wiring issue... cuzz i wired the pump up to a power converter. it stayed on longer but pump wasnt pumping consistantly i guess, and the car started to run rough. i'll have to try n swap the entire front harness and see wat it will do. if not, then maybe even swap the interior harness. =T