HybridZ

Emission stuff removal?

PUSHER

Yup. Rip it all out! :lol: All that crap is gone on my car, and it runs.. well, better! (I also diched the FI in favor of SU's..) Just make sure to plug off any vacume lines or anything left hanging. And that big white bottle thing.. what the heck IS that thing?? Overflow for the rad maybe :?:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, rip that charcoal canister out so that you and your passenger and everyone within 10 ft of your car can smell and inhale hydrocarbons and gasoline vapors. Throw it away because you don't understand what it is. It actually improves the aesthetic experience of driving and protects the environment, while compromising virtually nothing in performance...but go ahead and tear it off and give us all a bad name. Read a book and find out for yourself what it is you're doing. It's your responsibility. Why do you think smog rules come around to threaten car enthusiasts? It's because of early Datsun Z cars at a stoplight that smell like **** because the driver doesn't know **** about cars. That's my $.02. DAW

I wasnt talking about the carbon cannister, I was talking about this thing

normal_cannister.jpg

from what I understand it is part of the A/C system so I can remove it, right, I looked all through my shop manual and couldnt find it so I asked here. Why would I keep one part of the ac system when the condesor, compressor, evap core, etc are gone????

I didn't get up on the wrong side of the bed that day. I just think that members of this club should be held to a higher standard of owner/operator aesthetics than those with their obnoxious blue-smoke/black-smoke belching, muffler-dragging, toxic fumes-emitting pieces of **** on the road out there. There are a lot of very bright and talented members in this club. I noticed a few days ago in a post that one installed dual "cats" on his hybrid Z. Where I live it's not absolutely required to do so and you're not subject to inspections on the car, but to do so anyway bespeaks intelligence and class.

Back to the matter at hand, I think the items circled in the last photo are magnet valves. One is F.I.C.D. and the other is vacuum source. The first signals the fast idle actuator and the second routes vacuum stored in the reservoir to the first. Once the A/C is gone you don't need the one connected to the fast idle actuator, but you may want to keep the second and the reservoir so that the control for the mode door actuator operates properly.

Personally, I'd eliminate the F.I.C.D. magnet valve, bypass the vacuum source magnet valve, and see how your heater controls work. If they don't function well, then keep the vacuum source valve. Better yet, go to a JY and take the mechanical heater controls from a non-A/C Zcar and convert your car to an OEM setup, eliminating the entire A/C system and keeping it clean and simple. DAW

Yeah, same situation. My '75 280Z A/C car with '81 L28ET, I ended up just chucking the entire A/C and installing a donor non-A/C control system, including the OEM firewall plug for the intake/output lines of the evaporator. Although, the whole thing is easier than taking a non-A/C car and converting it to look like a factory A/C car. DAW

That's cool. I overreacted, and I didn't mean to look like I was singling you out. Mea culpa. I do think it's essential that we try to maintain an image a cut above some of the other hot-rodders out there. When it comes to something like chucking charcoal canisters, we can either be informed and conscientious, or we can be pariahs of the car enthusiast world. We can tune our early Zcars, regardless of hybridized powertrain, for far more power than they were originally configured while meeting or bettering the emission standards of their era by using our heads (so to speak) and applying state-of-the-art technology available, like f.i., O2 sensor feedbacks, knock sensors, catalytic convertors, etc. DAW

DAW - I agree with you 101% and I am not wanting this to get into a tug of war but I would like to make mention of a few things. Emissions yes is VERY important and yes we need to all do our part to help Mother Nature, Green Peace etc etc....

However the fact of the matter is that pretty much everyone on here has some sort of Z or ZX with a modified engine, and once the stock engine is messed tampered with you can pretty much kiss an emissions "Pass" goodbye and welcome the "FAIL". Even a bone stock engine with just the timing or the AFM adjusted will bring about a FAIL, muchless bigger injectors, headers, big turbos, etc etc - as you know.

Emissions are helpful for the poorly maintained cars and especially commercial trucks out there that have 200,000+ miles on them and are bellowing smoke like a Diesel on its last legs. But the fact of the matter, is that for the Performance crowd, the Hot Rod Guys...emissions are the biggest joke and the number one choker of performance.

I think that pretty much on this forum people do their our part by maintaining their vehicle to the highest degree and keeping it the highest state of tune possible, which is why we spend a king's ransom and fortunes on widebands, standalone EFI, gauges and the best aftermarket parts that money can buy BUT it does not mean that these once stock cars are now emissions friendly (in the eyes of the EPA anyway).

Can you tell me the last time you went to a car show, the race track, the drag strip and saw the EGR, the charcoal canister or the catalytic converter under the hood of these cars?

On the pre '75 cars that are now emissions exempt in CA, what is the first thing owners rejoice about?:

1) Removing all their emissions crap.

What is the second thing that tbe owners rejoice about?:

2) Putting the biggest, nastiest, fiercest non-emissions compliant fire breathing monster under the hood of their vehicle AS they are now exempt.

I personally think that emissions is important BUT it is definately a massive money maker and a huge income generator for the government. Rewind to 1975 (oil embargo era), the U.S government sactioned emissions on all cars sold in the U.S, in effort to try and reduce the sales of Japanese vehicles that was killing the sales of Domestic made vehicles, the plan backfired as the Japanese beat the Americans at their own game, and started producing (once again) great reliable affordable cars that ALSO met the emissions compliance.

I firmly believe that exemptions should be made for the aftermarket crowd like us that have professionally modified our vehicles and we have the receipts and the knowledge to back that up and prove it. However sadly it will never happen.

I made a remark stating that I threw my charcoal canister away, however it was an exaggeration, it does sit on my garage shelf with about 14" of dust on it and I can reinstall it in about 15minutes if I have to.....

I can go on and on, but I hope you see my point and where I am coming from.

Regards - Yasin

I see your point, Yasin, and I'm in no way claiming that my cars meet emissions. However, there are some items that not only affect emission control but aesthetics as well, and they have no effect on performance... to keep them is part of the art of building cars. Why would your girlfriend or wife or anyone else around the car want to inhale fuel fumes if they don't have to? It makes no sense unless they are a "huffer". You're not a huffer are you Yasin?

Put the damn canister back on. When someone asks you why you still have the thing on, you can ask "why do you and your car always smell like ****?" Or better yet, why is your car's olphactory like an 'ole factory?

My cars aren't pristine but I hate following someone whose unburned hydrocarbons are so excessive that they're wafting into my vents and my family's bloodstreams and brains, and we certainly don't need the odorless CO that's bound to be there with it. DAW