HybridZ

Now Installed!--El Cheapo surge tank for the LT1-

I've been wanting to turn my Fuel cell around for a long while now so that I can hide all the fuel lines and not have them hanging out the back like a tampon string :oops::?:roll:

Well obviously having the cell outlets pointing forwards is not ideal.....soooo

For about 5 bucks I made this (I'm a cheap bastard!...Sorry JC :oops: ):

tank.jpg

tank1.jpg

Now just to mount and plumb......

I've been wanting to turn my Fuel cell around for a long while now so that I can hide all the fuel lines and not have them hanging out the back like a tampon string :oops::?:roll:

LMAO

John,

I filled it with acetone, pressurized it to ~60psi. Found 2 pin hole leaks, welded up the leaks and called it good. It shouldn't see more than ~4 psi while in use, so I think it should be good.....

Mike,

I plan to bolt it to the front side of the fuel cell box, just rear of the mustache bar. I have just over 4" of clearance there.

qwik240z,

MSA has some nice ones in their latest catalogue for ~$40, but will need some modification for more inlet/outlets, depending on your application.

I made mine up fairly quickly and cheaply, and it will be hidden under the car, so the bling bling factor doesn't come into play.....

qwik240z' date='

MSA has some nice ones in their latest catalogue for ~$40, but will need some modification for more inlet/outlets, depending on your application.

.....[/quote']

Tim,

I have the Motorsport 20th aniversary catalog and I see Chrome Reservior Tanks on page 33. Is this what you are referring to? If so, I don't think they will work as they have removable caps that would have to be welded shut. I don't weld so I am looking for a finished product.

John C, How much would you charge to make one? PM me so we can take this off site.

Sorry if I am highjacking this thread.

Thanks!

Cool. When do we get to see the install pics???

uhhh...probably after I install it!! :D:D

Sorry for the sarcasm (not really but trying to be polite!). With the addition on my house, I have a lot of my time taken up with doing some of the extra stuff while the contractors are there (I am replacing the galvanized plumbing with copper this weekend), and stuff like that, so I cannot dedicate myself to the Z. I have taken 2 days off before the show on the 28th Aug to make sure that I have it done, but I really want to get it done sooner......

John C.

Nah...I emptied the bong before filling with acetone :D

I didn't want to introduce any H2O into the unit......but yes I fully understand and appreciate the volatility of acetone.....fire extinguisher was right next to me, and I blew air through the tank for a long time before welding on it again.....

qwik240z' date='

.....[/quote']

Tim,

I have the Motorsport 20th aniversary catalog and I see Chrome Reservior Tanks on page 33. Is this what you are referring to? If so, I don't think they will work as they have removable caps that would have to be welded shut. I don't weld so I am looking for a finished product.

John C, How much would you charge to make one? PM me so we can take this off site.

Sorry if I am highjacking this thread.

Thanks!

It should be fine with the cap, as long as the seal used (O-ring or whatever) is fuel resistant. I mean the radiator has high pressure and has a cap, the fuel tank has a cap.....I don't see a problem....I was very very close to ordering one, but I like building stuff.....plus the Miller that I bought from John C welds soooo nicely that I just look for stuff to weld up!!! :D:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Well...all done.....

The little pump that I got from NAPA for 30 bucks works flawlessly and is very quiet. Now that the high pressure pump isn't having to suck the fuel (I think it actually has a little pressure at the inlet) it is also very quiet!!! What a great byproduct of the install!! That MSD pump was starting to really annoy me with the constant whirring sound.....

I also took out the filter before the high pressure pump and put a filter between the cell and the low pressure pump and then another filter between the surge tank overflow and the cell. That should take care of filtering the fuel before the high pressure pump and the injectors.....

I wired the low pressure pump to come on with PCM signal along with the high pressure pump......So far so good......