HybridZ

Suggestions on overspray

Guest Brian260ZT

Guest Brian260ZT

Well, after 3 years of storage in the garage it's time to roll the Z out and clean it up. :D

I wash off the layers of dust to find to my horror that there's white overspray all over the blue car. The overpray is from rattle-can paint on some furnature about 2 years ago. :cry:

I can polish/buff the paint out... lots of elbow grease. :roll:

My question is how to get the paint off the glass? I don't want to scratch my glass, so I 'm seeking advice.

Thanks,

Brian

• 11 months later...
Guest Brian260ZT

My apologies zed friends, I do have an update and great solution for this.

I tried the razor-blade and windex on the windows, it was slow going since I don't want any scratches in the glass. I stopped using this method after one window.

I did some digging around and picked up a bar of clay and quick detailer from Mequiars. This stuff totally cleaned up the whole car, very quickly. All overspray on the glass, trim, everywhere.. is now gone. The clay was very easy to work with. I would venture a need to add this to a FAQ somewheres.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Brian

yes, a razor blade will scratch the glass, my front windshield has some scratches from exactly that. I would recomend the lacquer thinner route or extremly fine steel wool. They also make glass refinishing kits at JC whitney if you need to go that route.

As for the body, some wet sanding with 1500 grit should take care of it and then polish it up again.

-Ed

Guest Brian260ZT

All that you mention will work, but it's harsh to the car.

The clay is not harsh at all, it's actually very easy to use, and took off all the overspray on the body, glass, and rubber.

Anyways, I was just posting my results from my initial inquiry.

Thx,

Brian

Hi folks

I just want to say the clay block is the bomb for overspray removal. And not just on glass, it works on the painted surface also. Like datsunlover said, you can use a razor, held in your hand, you develop a feel for it. Use the Windex as kind of a lubricant. But you could still easily gouge the glass if not super careful. Don't try it with a holder. Or like racerX said, use only super fine steel wool. These were the traditional ways to remove overspray from glass for years that I was in the business. Then one day a paint rep brought me the clay block kit. They are available now in most auto supply stores (Discount) in the car detailing area. It comes with a spray (much like windex) that simply lets the clay slid more easily over the surface. The clay block is then rubbed on the surface. It works GREAT! Buffing removes paint, you buff too hard you can go through the paint. Razors and steel wool can scratch. The clay block is totally safe. It works great for removing bugs off the front! I love it and highly recomend it. One note, don't drop the clay block. Sand and dirt will stick to it and scratch the paint next time you use it. If you do drop it, try to cut the surface that hit the ground off with a razor. And the clay block will come in a little plastic box or bag, keep it in there when not in use or a zip lock baggie or it will dry out. After you use it on a area, run you hand over it, you will be amazed how smooth the surface feels.