HybridZ

What did I get myself into?

Guest billycorgan

Guest billycorgan

I got my 'new' car last night. 1971 240z, and it looks uglier than ever. But for $200 bucks you can't go wrong, hopefully. It's been gutted like a fish, and the engine is out of the car. Hopefully I can get it running soon. I'm not really familiar with these cars as I came from the Bimmer world, so does anyone have a writeup to put the engine back onto the car? :?

DCP_1687.JPG

DCP_1688.JPG

DCP_1689.JPG

DCP_1690.JPG

DCP_1691.JPG

DCP_1692.JPG

DCP_1693.JPG

DCP_1694.JPG

Boy, you have your hands full. I'm not sure what I would do with that car.

Sure $200. but it needs so much work to be a car to be proud of.

Every part of that car needs work.

I would say you would be way ahead to spend $1,000 and get a gem that only needs a paint job maybe to look new.

You will feed hours and hours and lots of dollars to shape that ride up..

Good luck!

PS... Mine was almost that bad, Im installing a LT1 and figure I will have $12,000 in to it.. and a butt ton of hours... But sure like what I'm doing..

Guest billycorgan
Boy' date=' you have your hands full. I'm not sure what I would do with that car.

Sure $200. but it needs so much work to be a car to be proud of.

Every part of that car needs work.

I would say you would be way ahead to spend $1,000 and get a gem that only needs a paint job maybe to look new.

You will feed hours and hours and lots of dollars to shape that ride up..

Good luck!

PS... Mine was almost that bad, Im installing a LT1 and figure I will have $12,000 in to it.. and a butt ton of hours... But sure like what I'm doing..[/quote']

Yeah, I don't even know where to start with it. But I'm glad I bought it, and I look foward to working on it and spending time on a new forum. I was thinking of doing the interior first, then work on the exterior, then put in the new engine. Do you have a pic of your car by any chance?

I got my 'new' car last night. 1971 240z' date=' and it looks uglier than ever. But for $200 bucks you can't go wrong, hopefully. It's been gutted like a fish, and the engine is out of the car. Hopefully I can get it running soon. I'm not really familiar with these cars as I came from the Bimmer world, so does anyone have a writeup to put the engine back onto the car? :?

[img']http://members.roadfly.com/laina/DCP_1692.JPG[/img]

Thats a pretty damn nice house man! I'm sure you'll have no problem giving that Z what she deserves! Good luck and welcome to the Z community!

Guest billycorgan

Wow, thanks for all the support guys. :D

Damn, that's one hell of a widebody job.. and it's amazing it used to look like that before the work. :shock:

You want my advice? Spend $30 on some POR-50 for the engine bay, flush out the brake and clutch hydraulics, and clean out the fuel system.

Stick the engine back in, paint the whole car with a single color of primer, and make a trip to the junkyard for all the cheap little parts you need.

Don't listen to any of the hosers who are telling you it's a basket case - You're not all that far away from having a fun car! It may be a while before you're completely finished with it, but the great thing about these cars is that they're so simple, they're perfectly happy to still run with half their parts on the garage floor. Get it running safely, then enjoy it! Seat covers and a good cleaning can make a world of difference in how confident you feel about the car.

So what BMW did you come out of?

Welcome to HybridZ. That car has a lot of potential, it just needs some time and $$$ to help it realize it. There is a ton of info here on just about anything you want to do to it, read around some, figure out your goals, then establish a time and $$$ budget. You will have something to be proud of when you get done.

John

That motor is the background of the first pic might work, but you should try to find one with an electric start instead of a pull rope. :-D From what I've read here what is really important is the rust situation. If it i;s solid, all that it will take is money and an insane wish to have a really nice car. just my two scents.

Guest billycorgan
Oh man...you got alot of work ahead of you.I think that was the car i was going to go buy in Milpitas for $195.I thought it was more work then I wanted to deal with.I hope you build it.What kind of motor are you droppin in it?

I'm planning to drop an RB26DETT. And yes, that's the car I bought.

So what BMW did you come out of?

I came from a 1994 325i with some mods. Here's a pic of it:

DCP_1626.JPG

Welcome to HybridZ. That car has a lot of potential' date=' it just needs some time and $$$ to help it realize it. There is a ton of info here on just about anything you want to do to it, read around some, figure out your goals, then establish a time and $$$ budget. You will have something to be proud of when you get done.

John[/quote']

Thanks for the kind words:D

That motor is the background of the first pic might work, but you should try to find one with an electric start instead of a pull rope. From what I've read here what is really important is the rust situation. If it i;s solid, all that it will take is money and an insane wish to have a really nice car. just my two scents.

There's no rust on the chassis. Everything is straight and true. And it wont take an insane wish to build my car, just money.:D

Guest billycorgan
Dude.. nice Bimmer! Did you sell it, or do ya still have it? I'm actually considering a BMW for my next 'project'.. an old 635 maybe..

Thanks! I still have it, but it's going to be sold soon. Good choice on the 635CSi; classy euro style. 8)

Guest skittyscott

you can tell that he is ganna spend a ton of money on this car just because he bought a log to use as a wheel chuck...

scott

btw, good luck