HybridZ

240Z Wheel and Tire combination

I would like to put a 17x7 set of wheels on my 1973 240Z. I found that technotoytuning.com has a 33 mm thick adapter that will convert me from 4/4.5 to a Honda 4/4 ($180 for a complete set). This should allow me to use a standard 17x7 40 mm offset Honda wheel. Has anyone else used these adapters?

Gabriel thanks that I should be able to fit 225/45R17 wheels without any modifications when using their adapters. Has anyone used these size tires on an unmodified 240Z (no fender flares and standard struts)?

Well I personally havent heard of that brand of adapters but a lot of guys use Modern Motorsports adapters to do exactly what your are wanting to do. Fitting 17X7's with a 225/45 is doable with those adapters.

Guy

P.S. before you get flamed too bad......try doing a search first :wink: this is a very common "modification" with tons of info on adapters and wheel sizes that is avaliable through the use of the search function. :wink: Just as a heads up.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. before you get flamed too bad......try doing a search first this is a very common "modification" with tons of info on adapters and wheel sizes that is avaliable through the use of the search function. Just as a heads up.

BTW - I used the search and couldn't find anything specific to this size wheel and tire combination. Maybe I'm using the search incorrectly, but it's difficult to get it to return good hits. Either I get no matches because I'm too specific, or I get too many that aren't what I'm looking for.

I am running adapters and 17x7 wheels with 245/40-17's on a 1971 240Z with no coil overs and no flares or rolled fender lips. :D

Mike

Do you have any close-up pics of your wheels & tires? I wanted to see how much bulge in the sidewall you have with a 245 on a 7" wheel. I was told by my guy that it's really too big and should go with 225s on a 7" and 245s on an 8". It's a fact that too much tire on a narrow rim will hurt handling, but maybe your car isn't set as much for ultimate handling as mine is. Feedback anyone?

Bartman, something to consider. Remember the early Z car wheels have 0 offset. Now if the wheels you intend to put on your Z have 40mm of offset and the spacers/adaptors are 33mm thick, what about the remaining 7mm (just over 1/4") of offset that you need to make up for to obtain 0 offset? Just a thought!

I went ahead and purchased the wheel adapters from Modern Motorsports. Since it appears that Ross (a member of hybridz) doesn't want to advertise the width of his adapters, I won't post the width of them; but I will let everyone know how they work.

Gary,

No I do not at this time as my car sits in my friends shop torn down. I spun a rod bearing or two in my sbc 383. Also tore up the fiberglass front end when loading it up on the trailer. Stall coverters get jumpy and well it jumped into my friends tool box :oops: Now there is a picture for you :lol:

Mike

All of you that are running 245's, do they actully fit inside the fenders? I saw a few cars that were running 245's last weekend, but the tires really didn't fit inside the fenders. In other words, if the suspension travel allowed the top of the fender opening to go lower than the top of the tire, the fender would rub on the tread of the tire. I want the biggest tire that will still fit 'inside' my fender.

Bartman, if you do go with the coil-over setup (especially with shortened struts) and plan on using 8" or 9" wide wheels with 245 or better, be sure to order to rear springs with a free length of 8" and not the 10" springs if you want your Z to sit low. 10" springs usually come with the setup. 10" springs in the front are no problem. I went through this learning curve when installing my 17" x 9" wheel/235-40 x 17" tires, trying to use a 10" spring on my 1 1/2" shortened struts. Well, with the 10" spring, the adjuster nut was hitting the tires when I tried to get the rear of the car to sit down properly. I have about .125" of clearance between the strut and the inner edge of the rim. I currently have 3.75" ground clearance at the front cross-member. Speed bumps are a no no!!!! Just some food for thought. :D

I've ordered up a set of new 17x7 40mm offset wheels with 225/45ZR17 tires. The tires are the widest that will fit on a 7" wide wheel, and I had a hard time finding 17" wheels that I liked in widths greater than 7". I also didn't want to move up to 18" wheels, where you can more easily get 7.5" wide wheels.

I'll see how they fit when the wheels and adapters are delivered, then I'll figure out what I need to do with my suspension.

thanks for all the help.

:-D

Here's a sample pic of the wheels I chose (Konig Theory):

konthr.om.ang.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest shinchu

DOH. i have some 17x7.5 velox nova's with 42 offset with toyo proxes fz4 tires 215/45/17 from my 240sx im trying to get rid of. i woulda let you have them for $400 plus shipping. im sick of them. fwd rims suck IMO.

congrats on getting what you wanted though.