Which BOV to choose?

Guest importwerks.com

Guest importwerks.com

I have a choice between

Apexi Twin valve

blitz dual drive

greddy type s

hks ssqv

I can get them all for a great price but dont know which to choose. Im looking for the pshhhht sound instead of the whistle sound. What are youre experiences with these? Thanks

Guest bastaad525

Greddy Type S

I like that one a lot... it's small... whereas these days companies just keep putting out bigger and bigger units, and frankly, most of them are but ugly. I love the look of the Greddy. A lot of guys run that HKS SSQV... if that's the one that I'm thinking of. That's the one that looks like the jet engine right? A nice piece for show cars, but in a magazine test that one was VERY slow to respond, letting the excess pressure out of the intake pipe way too slowly and causing quite a bit of compressor surge. I think performance should be more important than looks, but hey it's your car :D

But, going with the performance-over-looks mindset, I ended up also saving quite a bit of money, and going with a stock BOV out of a first generation eclipse. The guy I bought it from off ebay painted it silver for whatever reason, but when I installed it on my stainless steel I/C pipe, it actually looks very good that way. You could always paint it purple and go for the look of the Greddy :D

This BOV only cost me $60, with the flange, and according to that same magazine test, outperformed pretty much EVERY aftermarket BOV out there. NO surge at all, very smooth pressure release. Just something to consider.

By the way, I do run the BOV recirculated into the intake, but the pssssshhhh sound is still very audible even in the car. If you're running stock ZXT EFI you will most likely have some problems if you try to run the BOV open to atmosphere to really get that sound.

To add on to what Bastaad said, make sure the bov and be rerouted into the intake. I may be wrong but I don't think all of them will do that. I know the greddy type S will and the SSQ will, but the type S functions better, and doesn't sound like a turkey being killed the way a SSQ does when venting. I've seen reviews on the Blitz being from not so great to So-so but ON3GO seems to like it. One other thing to consider is that some BOV's are not meant to be used over 10-15 lbs of boost, so I'd do my homework on that. I personally bought the Greddy Type R for my car but have yet to install it. W'ell see how it works out.

I will go with the HKS that is my turbo is still a heap of parts but i have a Megasquirt setup to hook up, so i can vent in the atmosphere

HKS claims 'HKS "The Sequential BOV is a pull type relief valve, unlike other BOV's which are push spring type & are prone to leaking. The SQV is actuated by pressure alterations only, ensuring quick valve response & complete closure during idle. Standard BOV's designs must utilize large valves in order to accommodate high boost/power application. However, these large valves react slowly & require high activation pressure to open. Smaller, fast reacting valves, do not permit the air flow required for high horsepower. The SQV incorporates both for maximum performance. It is engineered utilizing a small primary valve for ultra quick activation for light throttle venting along with a secondary valve for additional relief capacity in high RPM/boost situations. The SQV is made of billet aluminum & emits a unique, aggressive sound'

Sounded good to me i read in on the bigger ones too, and well bottom line is they are overpized in my book, and react slower or not as good!

I just got a Greddy type S. It should be here in a couple of days. I hear they are great. I also have a 1st Gen DSM with the flange and gasket for sale. It is crushed at the top to hold more boost. I hope to get the Greddy unit installed as soon as it come in. I will let yall know how it works out for me.