HybridZ

urban myth revealed (472 caddy fits in z car)

pdinnell

thanks for the comments. the car has a th400 with the stock 3.54 r200 diff. might be a litle high geared for a cad motor but it'll get there quick. its just going to be a fun street car. the engine fits in without any butchering. i gave the tranny tunnel a little massage with a ball peen for shifter linkage clearance. the stock exhaust manifolds are from a coup deville. the right side is turned backwards because the stock one would need the firewall moved. the motor mounts are stock caddy, if i moved the engine back two inches they would almost sit in the stock motor mount holes but i didnt like the motor that close to the firewall. i just made spacer plates to space the motor forward. it sits abought 4" from the firewall. the tranny mount i used the stock datsun with the ends cut off and 1 1/2" square tubing welded to extend it to 4"x4" sguare plates bolted to the tunnel. im going to get a drive shaft made tomorrow. hopfully ill have it fired up this week.

You are going to have some serious traction problems with that beast. Looks great I love it. Btw what is the advantage of the 472 over the 500 I dont know much about caddy motors but I heard a story around here about putting 472 heads on a 500 and having high compression but some very high hp and torque figures. Looks nice, and we need some burnout pics :wink: .

the 500 cad engine has a longer stroke, more torque,less h.p. i went with the highest h.p. cad engine. 1969 eldorado 375 h.p. 500 ft lbs torque. i share rent of a garage with a caddy freak. he had a bunch of 500's, 472's, 425's 368's sitting around. at first i was going to make a short stroke cad engine using a 368 crank but it has the same stroke as the 472, less bore. this engine is only 100 lbs heavier than a small block chev 625lbs. i hope to have it running this week. i'm just on my way to get my gas tank back from refurbishing. i,ll take more pics today.

thats it its off to the garage to yank the 472 and install a 500 c.i.d. my buddy b.s.'d me on the 472 h.p. specs. thats tha last time i pay $200.00 for an engine off him. check out the 70 eldo specs.

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad70e.htm

i could have used one of them but i could'nt figure out how to hook up the f.w.d.