HybridZ

Ls1 mounts?

Guest plainswolf

That is an interesting point. I've long known that the mounts and mount locations are different on an LS1.

But perusing through a few magazines, I think it was Car Craft or Chevy High Performance... hell might have even been HotRod, that mentions an LS1 motorMount adapter that allows an LS1 to use the old style SBC mounts.

Might be worth investigating. I know in the .PDF catalog from http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ there is also an adapter plate for an LS1 that makes it possible to swap the engine into most older types of cars that origionally came with a 1st.Gen. SBC.

It looked like a rectangular plate that bolts to the side of the LS1 block that allows the engine to be mounted from the front of the block using the older style sbc mount..

Whether something like that would work with the JTR kit I would have no clue. But something like that might be about the closest thing to it..

Hey Plainswolf, Funny you bring up this topic.... When I first bought my LS1 set up. The guy who sold me my motor offered to sell me adpter plates to use older style mounts. I contacted JTR (Mike Knell). He blew me off saying "I'm a dreamer!!" Thanks Mike! :malebitchslap: Just kidding Mike! John at John's Cars kept on telling me I didn't need adapter plates. John was right and that's the route I went..... To answer the question... I'm not sure if anybody has used adapter plates to mount the LS1 into a Z

JOEY

JTR is working on the LS1 type of motor mounts.

It may be a couple of months before they are in production.

One thing to note is that the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 truck engines are based on the LS1, and according to a reliable source (MAS280), an LS1 intake manifold can be installed on the truck engines, which will provide enough hood clearance so that they can fit in a Z car.

A 5.3 truck engine puts out more power than a Camaro LT1 engine, and the 5.3 truck engines are less costly than the LS1 engines. The truck engines have aluminum heads, and they appear to weigh less than a Camaro LT1 engine.

A 6.0 engine from an Escalade is rated at the same horsepower as an LS1, but weighs about 70 lbs more due to the iron block.

John at John's Cars kept on telling me I didn't need adapter plates. John was right and that's the route I went

I'm not sure if I understand that correctly...

Are you saying that you didn't need adapter plates to use the JTR kit?

[edit]

In either case, it looks like I'll probably be going the older style 350 route. I found an old friend that has an older El Camino. He's selling me the entire car for $500 and I've already got the JTR kit.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hey AWD92QSX,

JTR and John's cars are two different companys. JTR said they should have mounts ready in the next couple of months. Johns is what I used. 77 280z, no adapter plates, pretty much all bolt in. I love the car and have no complaints. The look,power and drivability of the LS1 is hard to compair to.

JOEY

Guest plainswolf

WOW! I simply had no idea that JTR was working on an LS1 swap(been working far too much overtime lately). And it will be fascinating to say the least to see what they come up with! Guess it will be time soon to happily update my "hybridZ Bible"

I had also merely wondered if an LS1 with the traditional block mount adapters (wich allow the old style sbc mounts to be used in the old mount location on an LS1 engine) would work with the JTR mounts, but looks like that is a non-issue now with a growing number of swap kits out there! :-D

I can only thank the LS1-Z swap pioneers for giving the rest of us such encouragement on this. I think I'll wait awhile now to see what JTR comes up with before doing anything.

WOW! I simply had no idea that JTR was working on an LS1 swap(been working far too much overtime lately). And it will be fascinating to say the least to see what they come up with! Guess it will be time soon to happily update my "hybridZ Bible"

I had also merely wondered if an LS1 with the traditional block mount adapters (wich allow the old style sbc mounts to be used in the old mount location on an LS1 engine) would work with the JTR mounts' date=' but looks like that is a non-issue now with a growing number of swap kits out there! :-D

I can only thank the LS1-Z swap pioneers for giving the rest of us such encouragement on this. I think I'll wait awhile now to see what JTR comes up with before doing anything.[/quote']

The mounts the JTR are going to make are the ones that MAS280 designed. They are going to produce them with MAS280's permission.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Both JTR (Jags that run) and Johns Cars (www.brokenkitty.com) make mounts for LS1 engine conversions in S30's. They do not make them for the other models. If you want them for an S130, Z31 or Z32 contact John at Johns Cars (214) 426-4100 and talk him into it. I know he has S130 & Z31 rollers on his lot to do just that if the demand is there.

Maybe I'm on drugs again? I know they have headers that work with the LS1 in S30's so maybe I was just assuming? I really thought I'd read somewhere that they had them. Oh well - JCI does and they are good units. Mine have held up for 3 years and over 20,000 miles now with no problems.