HybridZ

3rd gear synchro is gone!! Again!!

Cody 82 ZXT

As you can tell form subject line my 3rd gear synchro is gone or atleast on it's last leg. After about 6 months of the new mods the tranny started to make noises and I thought it was just old. I had it rebuilt last January and it wasn't really right the first time I had them redo it but, after the second time it was great. Seems like this only lasted about 6 months. It started going out and then after a few power shifts at the track it is almost toasted. I thought I might get lucky and the place would rebuild it for me again no cost. We all know that didn't happen. :( Anyway, what real options do I have for a tranny. I really want to stay manuel but, I don't think this T-5 is going to last for only about 6 or so months at a time. I can't have it rebuilt each time at a of cost 350.00 or so. Looking on the net I see that about 400' lbs of torque really tears these things up. Not sure if I'm that high on torque but, I couldn't be that far from it by comparing other setups with dyno runs and my track times and vehicle weight. Is there a good replacement or a way to modify the Nissan T-5 so that it will hold the power and take an occasional trip to the track? I've seen the G-Force stuff and that looks good but, I'm not breaking gears or anything.

Has anyone rebuilt on of these by themselves? I have an extra T-5 that I could rebuild and still be able to get around. Is it really that hard. What about just replacing the 3rd gear synro in this one that is currently in the car.

The T5 is not a hard trans to rebuild. Go to http://www.gearzone.net and they can get you parts. Same site is 5speeds.com I think. You can use a Mustang or Camaro factory service manual for overhaul specs. I would be tempted to try and find a used up Ford T5 and try and see just how different it is compared to the Nissan case. A brand new one can be had for $1200.

Hi Cody, well there really is one option for you at this point with the T5 in your car. I have found out the G Force is doing a new gear set for the tranny ans it is suspose 5to be much stronger. Call them and tell them what is happening to your tranny and see what they say.

The only other option is to do a retro in a TKO or TKO2 or possibly a T56 tranny. Then there is the option of a Chevy Automatic tranny. in fact I just may know of a turbo 400 tranny setup you may be able to get for your car. I will call and find out about that. :D

I've thought about an automatic for the car but, really I believe that a sports car has three pedals. I haven't ruled it out but, I want to see about a manuel trans. for the car first.

I've done some reading about the G-Force T-5 and it looks like it may be the only real option if I want to keep the T-5 in the car. I guess I need to give them a call and see what they can do with the Nissan version of the tranny. I read an article today about the G-Force version of the T-56 and it's supposed to be great shifting even at some higher RPM's.

I don't remember seeing if you've gotten the Tremec finished and driving. Have you? What do you think?

Hi Cody!

agree on Manual Trans for a sports car.. auto I would think would be a bummer...anyway if I remember from my muscle car days those turbo 400's were HEAVY ...strong but heavy..

I just rebuild my first transmission four months ago. It was a Fiat 124 spider 5 speed...my problem was it grinded getting in third then popped out on second third and fourth...ended up replacing the bad syncro for third (also the rest while I was at it) then 1 and 2 sleeve, 3 and 4 sleeve, 5 and reverse sleeve. Along with finding the best shifter forks and gears out of my other two parts car trannies...works great, four thousand miles to date.

If I can rebuild one I'm sure you can..just get a good scematic...good to have a spare tranny to look at but generally everything goes on one way and makes sense after awhile....T-5 parts would be cheaper and you will know it was done right.

hm goes to show ya how all the smart Z guys that have been building and racing them for years has always told me to stay away from the T5.

better to stay with the 280zx n/a 5-speed. just as strong and way cheaper to buy and easier to find.

mike

Hey Cody, seems the T5's have been blowing more and more lately. My cousin just went through his 2nd T5 in 6 months. First one he completly stripped 3rd gear of the teeth and now has messed up the synchro's between 2-3rd and 3-4th on #2. He can only shift it lightly or it'll just grind so, it's shot. I'm looking into the 84-86 T5 to see if it could be made to work, and only if the torque rating is higher. Keep us posted on which way you go because we're going to need to do something soon, just don't have loads of cash to spend on something like the TKO or T56 right now. G force might just be the right way to go. Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Good luck.

Well, I'm hopeing to do something with this transmission in the next 6 months so I'll post what information I come across on here so we can have it on record.

Heres something that I just found. The Ford Cobra version of the T-5

This info came from http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

The "Z" Spec T-5

In 1993 Ford started offering a new service unit to the motorsport crowd. The "Z" spec T-5 (Ford part number 7003Z, also sometimes referred to as "World Class T-5". Most folks, associate the term "World Class" as meaning the best, however world class T-5 were introduced in 1985 as stated ealier. The T-5z is a 1993 Cobra T-5 with 2.95 first gear set and .63 over drive. It has the best of everything. Hardened gears, short throw factory shifter, steel front bearing ret¶à¼ˆr, and tapered output shaft bearing ands a seven tooth speedometer gear. Best of all it has a torque rating of 330ft/lbs based on 100,000 mile usage. The stock T-5Z can handle up to 450 hp when not drag raced.

Price on the T-5z is 1150.00 right now. Not to bad and if would hold the power would be ok.

I just wonder about how the in and output shafts are.

Thanks for that info Cody. I think we're going to do something within the month or so... so, i'll keep ya posted. Called G-force, they can do it, it's just going to be 2k which is a little more $ than he wanted spend. And the search continues....

Hi Jersey. Just wondering what the 2k included. Was that for a new unit, you sending in your existing case, or for them just sending you the kit? Also, was that including the overdrive and upgraded mainshaft, or just for the 1st 4 gears? I am really interested in doing this for my T5 as well. Maybe if we get more people, we can get a group discount? (thinking pretty positive here :D). Thanks!